Alan Monk practices general Corporate / Commercial law, Securities / Corporate Finance and Mining Law.
Alan has a broad-based corporate / commercial practice which includes the preparation and negotiation of a variety of commercial agreements (including shareholders’ agreements, confidentiality agreements, employment agreements and other commercial contracts), incorporations, corporate compliance and transactions including the purchase and sale of companies and assets. He also advises corporations on issues related to compliance with Canadian anti-bribery laws and practices.
Alan’s Securities | Corporate Finance practice includes public and private financings, including brokered and non-brokered private placements and bought deals, initial public offerings, and advising on continuous disclosure, corporate governance and regulatory and stock exchange compliance for public companies primarily listed on the TSX and the TSX Venture Exchange. Alan has also been involved in several mergers & acquisitions and restructuring transactions for both public and private company clients.
He has extensive experience in negotiating, drafting and advising on agreements used in the exploration and mining industry (including option agreements, joint venture agreements and royalty agreements), advising on the purchase and sale of mining claims and preparing legal opinions in respect of mineral tenures located in British Columbia. Alan has been an Adjunct Professor of Mining Law at the University of British Columbia law school since 2009.
- Counsel to Argonaut Gold Inc., a Canadian gold company engaged in exploration, mine development and production activities in Mexico, in its $341 million business combination with Prodigy Gold Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Counsel to Golden Predator Corp. on its USD$35 million loan facility with RK Mine Finance and Brewery Creek acquisition from Alexco Resource Corp.
- Counsel to a TSX Venture Exchange listed junior exploration company acquiring assets of a past-producing mine in British Columbia
- Assisted a foreign-based metals company in negotiating and completing a corporate joint venture in a past producing mine in British Columbia
- Assisted a TSX Venture Exchange listed company in completing a corporate joint venture in a past-producing mine in British Columbia
- Counsel to a private junior exploration company in a corporate joint venture with a listed company in respect of a mining property in British Columbia
- Counsel to a TSX listed company in completing numerous option agreements in respect of acquired mineral rights in Ontario
- Counsel to a TSX Venture listed diamond exploration company spinning off its diamond division to another listed company
- Counsel to a junior exploration company conducting an IPO on the TSX Venture exchange and subsequent private placements and prospectus issuances of flow-through shares and units
- Counsel to a TSX Venture listed junior exploration company acquiring a private exploration company by plan of arrangement
- Counsel to several TSX and TSX Venture Exchange listed companies in respect of regulatory filing and stock exchange filing requirements and general corporate/commercial matters
- Counsel in providing legal opinions in respect of the ownership of Crown Granted Mineral Claims and mineral claims and mining leases acquired under the Mineral Tenure Act (British Columbia)
- Counsel to TSX and TSX Venture Exchange listed and private exploration companies in numerous private placement, short-form prospectus and prospectus financings of shares, flow-through shares and units
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (Colorado, USA)
- Member, Association of Mineral Exploration, British Columbia
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC, Toronto, Ontario)
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Past President and Director, Circle Craft Co-operative, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Adjunct Professor, Mining Law (University of British Columbia Law School) since 2009
- Presenter, "Anti-Bribery Seminar - Compliance and Enforcement in Canada and the US”, Anti-bribery Seminar, Vancouver, October 2013
- Presenter, "The Cost of Doing Business? Laws Against Bribery of Foreign Public Officials", FMC Mining Seminar, November 30, 2011