Ann Bigué's practice focuses on administrative, constitutional and regulatory law, with an emphasis on matters related to aboriginal law, as well as energy and natural resources law and environmental assessment. Prior to joining Dentons Canada LLP, she practised for more than 25 years with other leading law firms in various areas of practice, after acting as Counsel to the National Energy Board in the early years of her career.
Ann is frequently called upon by corporate clients to deal with issues relating to aboriginal and treaty rights in connection with energy and natural resources development projects. She has extensive experience in the negotiation of agreements between governments, Aboriginal communities and project proponents related to the development and implementation of energy, mining and industrial projects in Canada as well as aboriginal issues pertaining to forestry development activities. She is currently working on the negotiation of several pre-development and impacts and benefits agreements in Quebec, mostly concerning projects in the Plan Nord territory. She has assumed leadership in complex litigation matters relating to aboriginal rights in the context of important hydroelectric development projects and forestry management activities in Quebec.
Ann has been recognized as ''Lawyer of the Year'' in Aboriginal Law for 2012 and as ''Lawyer of the Year'' in Energy Regulatory Law for 2013. She is listed as a leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Natural Resources Law and Mining Law in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 and 2014 directory as well as in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in Aboriginal Law, Energy (Electricity) and Mining. She is also listed in the latest editions of the Women in the Lead Canadian directory. She was awarded the ''Advocatus Emeritus'' distinction by the Québec Bar in 2009.
- Consistently recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011-2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Aboriginal Law
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011-2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Energy (Electricity)
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2013 and 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Mining Law
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 and 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Mining Law and Natural Resources Law
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 as "Lawyer of the Year" in Energy Regulatory Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2012 as "Lawyer of the Year" in Aboriginal Law
- Recognized by The Legal 500 Canada 2013 in the area of Energy > Mining
- Listed in the latest editions of the Women in the Lead Canadian directory
In the Media
- Quoted in "Big Plans Up North", article by Julie Triedman, The American Lawyer, November 5, 2012
- FMC Plan Nord team featured in Les Affaires special supplement
- Quoted in ''les meilleurs avocats de Montréal et de Québec'', article by René Lewandowski, Droit-inc.com, August 28th, 2012
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Québec Bar
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the U.S. Energy Bar Association
- Member of the Québec Mineral Exploration Association
- Member of the Canadian Aboriginal Minerals Association
- Member of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- Member of the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member of the Association québécoise pour l'évaluation d'impacts
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Association des diplômés de l'Université de Montréal
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Association Pipeline Longitude 75°
- Member of the National Council and Board of the Quebec Division of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Québec Bar Foundation
- Member of the Board of Directors of Projet 80 inc.