Catherine Coulter is the Ottawa office's employment law representative.
Catherine’s practice is divided between employment litigation and advising, and general corporate/commercial litigation. Catherine provides daily advice to management-side employers in high tech and other industries and works with her clients to limit liability and ensure regulatory and legal compliance. Catherine has particular experience in the areas of executive compensation, employment issues in connection with business transactions and reorganizations, and employment disputes. Catherine is also highly experienced in both privacy law and alternative dispute resolution. Catherine's expertise in privacy law includes data protection and data breach counseling.
Catherine regularly speaks at seminars and blogs on a variety of employment and privacy topics. In 1992, Catherine qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales, where she practised for a year in Cambridge.
Catherine is Dentons' Ottawa office Pro Bono committee lead.
- Kinaxis Inc.: Counsel to Kinaxis Inc., a leading provider of cloud-based subscription software, in its $100.6 million TSX IPO (June 2014).
- Solar Winds Inc.: Acted as Canadian employment counsel to Solar Winds Inc. on its acquisition of Rove Inc. (April 2012).
- ALK Technologies: Acted as Canadian employment counsel to ALK Technologies, Inc. on its acquisition of Maptuit Corporation (February 2012).
- SafeNet Inc.: Acted as Canadian employment counsel to SafeNet Inc. on its acquisition of Cryptocard Holdings Ltd. (February 2012).
- RjR Innovations: Employment counsel to RjR Innovations in its acquisition from PricewaterhouseCoopers of the QSignOn business.
- Embla Systems: Canadian Counsel to Embla Systems, Inc. on its acquisition of Covidien Group S.A.R.L.
- Integrated Device Technology: Canadian Counsel to Integrated Device Technology, Inc. on its acquisition of Tundra Semiconductor Corporation.
- Irdeto Holdings: Acted as Canadian counsel to Irdeto Holdings on its $72.5 million acquisition of Cloakware Inc., a Virginia-based software company (November 2007).
- Preparing termination of employment documentation and severance packages, and negotiating settlements with claimants.
- Drafting of employment policies, procedures and employee manuals for federally and provincially regulated employers.
- Velocity Express: Successful Tax Court of Canada appearance, with a finding that individuals working for a courier company were independent contractors and therefore not in insurable or pensionable employment pursuant to the Employment Insurance Act and Canada Pension Plan.
- Citadel Insurance [now AXA Insurance]: Successful conduct of several jury trials, including acting for an insurer on a subrogated fire loss claim and defending an insurer in relation to a personal injury loss claim.
- Mead Johnston Nutritionals: Part of a team which successfully obtained a significant injunction prohibiting false and misleading advertising by a consumer products manufacturer.
- Confidential clients: Counsel on Federal Court applications for judicial review under the Access to Information Act.
- Conduct of privacy audit, training of staff and drafting of privacy policies and procedures.
- Successful defence of wrongful dismissal actions.
- “Canada: Private equity basics”, Dentons Financial Services Insights, 2014
- "Gorilla Encounters", Travel & Escape Magazine, Issue 15, May 2014
- "Backpacks and Babies", Travel & Escape Magazine, Issue 10, December 2013
- Regular contributor to Dentons Employment & Labour Law blog
- "Top Tips for Conducting a Workplace Investigation", CCH Canadian Employment Law Guide, October 2013
- "The Ontario Human Rights Commission Removes the "Canadian Experience" Barrier", Ultimate HR Manual, August 2013
- "Technology in the Workplace - A Brief Overview", CCH Canadian Employment Law Guide, August 2013
- "Natural Disasters in the Workplace", Labour Notes, Number 1478, July 2013
- HR Professionals: The Key To Smooth Corporate Acquisitions, Mercer/CCH Guide For Employers, Number 26, December 2012
- Employee monitoring technology increasingly used to prevent time theft, by Danielle Harder, Canadian HR Reporter, June 18, 2012
- Contributor to HR Connected Newsletter
- Technology Startups: A Practical Legal Guide for Founders, Executives and Investors
- Journey to the Point of No Return, Real Travel, January 2010
- ethiopia's lush lands, Real Travel Magazine, January 2009
- Emergency Preparedness In The Workplace
- Focus on Employment, Labour and Pensions
- Semi-Annual HR Update - Focus on Employment, Labour and Pensions, Fall 2007
- Employment Law Update, 2006 Lexpert Directory
- Privacy Issues and Corporate Transactions: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You!, CCLA 2006
- What's New in the World of Privacy and Employment Law?, CCCA 2006
- Payroll Basics - What you Need to Know, Lorman 2005
- Managing the Return to Work Process: If this Doesn't Work, What Next?
- Technology Issues in the Workplace
- Employee or Independent Contractor? Understanding Alternative Work Arrangements - and How to Structure Them
- Quoted in the Canadian Lawyer Magazine article "A Fine Balance", October 2008
- Employment Law Update, CCCA/ACCJE Corporate Counsel Directory and Yearbook 2006
- Restrictive Covenants in the Workplace, CCH 2001
- ADR in the Workplace - chapter in the CCH Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Manual, 2001
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Ontario Advocates Society
- Member, Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
- Member, ADR Institute of Ontario
- Member, American Bar Association - Employment & Labour Section
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Member, Board of Governors of Elmwood School (2006-2013) (Chair: 2008-2011)
- When not hard at work, Catherine can usually be found backpacking in some exotic part of the world with her husband and two daughters, and some of her recent favorite journeys have included Burma, Easter Island, Tibet, Syria and Ethiopia.
- Volunteer, Law Help Ontario (Pro Bono Law Ontario)
- “Co-Chair of the Infonex 13th Annual Managing Your Duty to Accommodate” conference – March 25, 2014
- Co-chair, "The Six-Minute Employment Lawyer 2012", County of Carleton Law Association, Ottawa, September 19, 2013
- Presenter, "Dentons' 14th Annual Employment Law Client Appreciation Seminar", Ottawa, September 17, 2013
- Presenter, "Employment Considerations in Corporate Transactions: 10 Essential Considerations", 19th East Region Solicitors Conference, County of Carleton Law Association, Montebello, May 3, 2013
- Presenter, "FMC's Thirteenth Annual Employment Law Client Appreciation Seminar", Ottawa, February 22, 2012
- Co-chair, "The Six-Minute Employment Lawyer 2012", County of Carleton Law Association, Ottawa, February 16, 2012
- Presenter, "Privacy Law Update", Canadian Society of Association Executives Lunch Seminar Series, Ottawa, April 27, 2011
- Co-presenter, "10 Things You Need To Know About Privacy", FMC CPD Seminar Series, Ottawa, April 5, 2011
- Presenter, "FMC's Twelfth Annual Employment Law Client Appreciation Seminar", Ottawa, January 25, 2011
- Co-presenter, "(Wo)Man Your Stations: Workplace Strategies for Protecting Confidential and Proprietary Property", OCRI 45th Circuit Luncheon Seminar, October 2010
- Co-chair, "3rd Women in Leadership Conference" by Career Women Interaction, Rideau Club, May 2010
- Presenter, "Tenth Annual Employment Law Client Appreciation Seminar", FMC Breakfast Seminar, January 2010
- Panelist, "Career Planning for ‘Young’ Lawyers and ‘Less-Young’ Lawyers", Ontario Bar Association’s Young Lawyer’s Division, Ottawa, February 2008
- Presenter, "Employment Law Update 2007", FMC Seminar, Ottawa, October 2007
- Presenter, "The Complete Payroll Process in Ontario", Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, September 2006
- Presenter, “Privacy Issues and Corporate Transactions: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You!”, CCLA Solicitor Conference 2006, Ottawa, May 2006
- Presenter, “What’s New in the World of Privacy and Employment Law?”, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association National Spring Conference, Ottawa, April 2006
- Presenter, “Duty to Accommodate Proactive Management of Employees with Disabilities”, Insight, Ottawa, September 2005
- Presenter, “Employment and Labour Law Update”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, September 2005
- Presenter, “The Complete Payroll Process in Ontario”, Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, September 2005
- Presenter, “Closing Arguments at Trial”, Ontario Advocates Society, Ottawa, February 2005
- Presenter, “Technology Issues in the Workplace”, FMC National Seminar, Calgary, October 2004
- Presenter, “Bonuses and Variable Compensation”, The Six Minute Employment Lawyer, Ottawa, October 2004
- Presenter, “Employment and Labour Law Update”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, September 2004
- Presenter “Payroll Basics in Ontario”, Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, June 2004
- Presenter, “Employee or Independent Contractor?”, FMC National Seminar, Toronto, October 2003
- Presenter, “Employment and Labour Law Update”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, October 2003
- Presenter, “Dependent Contractors”, The Six Minute Employment Lawyer, Ottawa, May 2003
- Presenter, “Employee Discharge and Documentation”, Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, April 2003
- Presenter, “Employment and Labour Law Update”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, October 2002
- Presenter, “Employment Contract Issues”, FMC Employment and Labour Group, Toronto, May 2002
- Presenter, “Employment Standards Act, 2000”, Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, April 2002
- Presenter, “Employment Law Issues”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, September 2001
- Presenter, “Stock Option Issues”, The Six Minute Employment Lawyer, Toronto, September 2001
- Presenter, “Employment Law Issues”, Ottawa Law Clerks’ Association, Ottawa, June 2001
- Presenter, “Restrictive Covenants in the Workplace”, Lorman Seminar, Ottawa, April 2001
- Presenter, “Employment Law in the Millennium”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, September 2000
- Presenter, “Employment & Labour Issues”, FMC Seminar, Ottawa, May 1999