Alan practises in the areas of securities and corporate/commercial law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance. Alan also practises in the areas of mining and energy law.
Alan regularly advises public companies and securities dealers in public and private financing transactions (both equity and debt), including private placements and prospectus offerings. Alan also regularly acts in take-over bids, mergers and acquisitions and other business combinations, corporate reorganizations and joint ventures. He also advises public companies on general corporate and securities law matters, including stock exchange listings, continuous disclosure obligations and other regulatory compliance issues. Alan serves as the group manager for Dentons' Vancouver corporate/commercial and securities practice group.
- Advising the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Taseko Mines Limited in connection with its acquisition of Curis Resources Ltd., a mineral exploration and development company whose primary asset is the Florence Copper Project in Arizona.
- Counsel to North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd. (NTC) on its US$12.0 million working capital loan with Queenwood Capital Partners II LLC, which is secured by a charge over the assets of NTC. NTC is a Tier 1 junior resource company that operates one of the world’s largest tungsten mines, Cantung, located in the NWT and has one of the world’s largest undeveloped tungsten deposits called Mactung, located in Yukon.
- Counsel to North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd. (NTC), a Canadian Tier 1 junior resource company, on its US$11.0 million demand loan with Callidus Capital Corporation, which is secured by a charge over all the assets of NTC. NTC operates one of the world’s largest tungsten mines, Cantung, located in the NWT and has one of the world’s largest undeveloped tungsten deposits called Mactung, located in Yukon.
- Counsel to North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd., a public mining corporation with respect to various mining matters including its project financing requirements and mining reclamation security obligations
- Advising MMG on its role leading a consortium to acquire the Las Bambas copper project in Peru from GlencoreXstrata for US$5.85 billion.
- Counsel to Lion One Metals Limited, a Canadian mineral exploration and development company focused on gold, iron ore and uranium projects in Fiji, Australia and Argentina, in connection with its $15 million merger with Australian Avocet Resources Limited by way of Scheme of Arrangement
- Acting for Channel Resources, a Canadian exploration company advancing the Tanlouka Project in Burkina Faso, West Africa, in its takeover by West African Minerals
- Counsel to AQM Copper Inc. (AQM) in connection with the C$38 million strategic investment by Mitsubishi Materials Corporation (Mitsubishi). Mitsubishi will invest US$22.6 million into AQM's wholly owned Peruvian subsidiary, Minera AQM Copper Peru S.A.C. and has committed an additional US$15.07 million for a 20% indirect interest in AQM's Zafranal Project in southern Peru currently owned in a 50/50 joint venture with Teck Resources Limited
- Counsel to Transition Metals Corp., a Canadian project generator focused on gold which specializes in converting new exploration ideas into Canadian discoveries, with respect to its acquisition of HTX Minerals Corp. by way of Plan of Arrangement
- Counsel to Seafield Resources Ltd. on its $16.5 million loan facility with RMB Australia Holdings Limited arranged by RMB Resources Inc., the resource financing division of the FirstRand Group of South Africa, in connection with the development of its Miraflores project in Colombia and in connection with its 2012 private placement financing
- Counsel to Aegean Metals Group Inc., a mineral exploration company focused on the acquisition and exploration of gold and copper properties in Turkey, with respect to its 2012 initial public offering and recent private placement financing
- Counsel to Argonaut Gold Inc., a Canadian gold company engaged in exploration, mine development and production activities in Mexico, in its $341 million business combination with Prodigy Gold Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Counsel to Zongshen Industrial Group Co. Ltd. (ZIG) of China and Hong Kong VAS International Development Limited (HKVAS) on a going private transaction with Zongshen PEM Power Systems where HKVAS will acquire all of the issued and outstanding common shares of ZPP
- Counsel to the Ad Hoc Group of First Lien Lenders of Catalyst Paper Corporation and certain of its subsidiaries in their CCAA/ Chapter 15 proceedings
- Counsel to Southern Legacy Minerals, Inc. on the $57 million business combination with Sinchao Metals Corp. and concurrent private placement financing
- Counsel to Azumah Resources Limited on its $20 million prospectus offering of ordinary shares
- Counsel to GMP Securities in connection with a short form prospectus offering by Vista Gold Corp.
- Counsel to Kiska Metals Corporation in connection with a short form prospectus offering
- Counsel to Geologix Explorations Inc. in connection with a short form prospectus offering
- Counsel to North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd. in connection with a short form prospectus offering
- Counsel to Explorator Resources Inc. with respect to the $55 million acquisition by Sociedad Punta del Cobre (Pucobre) by way of plan of arrangement of the 83% of Explorator shares not already owned by Pucobre
- Counsel to Copper Canyon Resources Ltd. in connection with its acquisition by NovaGold Resources Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Counsel to Nyrstar NV on its $409 million acquisition of Farallon Mining Ltd. by way of takeover bid
- Counsel to Rimfire Minerals Corporation in its business combination with Geoinformatics Exploration Inc. to form a new entity, Kiska Metals Corporation, with a market capitalization of approximately $28.5 million
- Counsel to various junior mineral exploration companies
- Counsel to Aurea Mining Inc. on merger with Newstrike Capital Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Counsel to Centenario Copper Corporation on a $58 million bought deal financing
- Represented Centenario Copper Corp. in connection with its US$80 million IPO
- Counsel to Versacold Income Fund on $1.2 billion acquisition by Eimskip Holdings Inc.
- CHIP REIT $1.2 billion acquisition by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation
Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2013-2015) and Securities Law (2014, 2015)
Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Corporate Finance & Securities.
Recognized by Chambers Global: The Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2014 as a leading Foreign Expert in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources: Mining and Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America)
Recognized by Chambers Global: The Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2013 as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy & Natural Resources: Mining
Recognized by Chambers Latin America: Latin America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2013 in the area of Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms
Recommended by Chambers Global: The Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2012 as a leading lawyer in the area of mining law
In the Media
- "TSX Staff Notice guidance impacts IPO plans", Dentons Insights, November 12, 2013 (with Jessica Yee)
- "BCSC Action Reinforces Lessons for Continuous Disclosure",
iComply for Mining in Canada, No.3, July 2012
- "BCSC Action Reinforces Lessons for Continuous Disclosure", Focus on Mining, May 2012
"Reduced CFO and CEO Certification for Venture Issuers", Focus on Securities, December 2007
- Overview of the New British Columbia
Business Corporations Act
Bepple v. Western Industrial Clay Products Ltd., 2004 BCCA 497 - The British Columbia Court of Appeal has Confirmed Principles of Valuation that Apply to Claims for Compensation by Surface Owners for Loss or Damage Caused by Exploitation of Mineral Rights
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Securities and Business Law Subsections, B.C. Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Member and Committee Contributor, Association of Mineral Exploration of British Columbia
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Director, Britannia Mine Museum
- Presenter, "Deal Structures & Funding Options for Junior Mining Projects", Resource Exploration and Development (RED) Summit Series, June 18, 2013
- Presenter, "Preliminary Economic Assessments - Can You Have Your Cake and Eat it Too?", FMC Mining Seminar, Vancouver, January 22, 2013
- Presenter, "Lost in Translation (and Disclosure) - Considerations for Canadian Public Companies in Emerging Market Jurisdictions", FMC Mining Seminar, Vancouver, May 16, 2012
- Presenter, "Is There Really Such Thing as a Free Lunch? Understanding Carried Interests and Royalties", FMC Mining Seminar Series, Vancouver, September 29, 2010
- Presenter, "Recent Legal Developments Affecting the M&A Landscape", AON and FMC Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Reorganizations Seminar, Vancouver, March 18, 2010
- Presenter, "Effective Strategic Alliances", FMC Mining Seminar Series, Vancouver, October 21, 2009
- Presenter, "Eat or Be Eaten - M&A Trends in an Uncertain Market", FMC Annual Mining Seminar Series, Vancouver, January 15, 2009
- Presenter, "Securities Law and Executive Compensation", Executive Compensation and Good Corporate Governance Seminar, Vancouver, June 19, 2008
- Presenter, "A Junior's Guide to Practical Corporate Governance", B.C's Mining Industry & What You Need to Know, FMC Mining Seminar Series, November 20, 2007
- Panel Member, "Revised National Instrument 52-109", Chartered Accountants of British Columbia and British Columbia Securities Commission, June 8, 2007
- Presenter, "Why Joint-Venture Terms at the Beginning? B.C's Mining Industry & What You Need to Know", FMC Mining Seminar Series, March 2007
- Presenter, "The Disclosure Tightrope", B.C's Mining Industry & What You Need to Know, FMC Mining Seminar Series, November 2006