Almas is a partner in Dentons' Almaty office.
He has over 16 years' experience advising clients in the oil and gas and mining industry in Kazakhstan. He has extensive experience in upstream exploration and production transactions, including drafting and negotiating host government contracts, joint venture agreements, farm-out agreements as well as joint operating agreements. He also has broad experience in mergers and acquisitions and regularly advises clients on various regulatory and compliance matters.
- National oil company: Acted in connection with its acquisition of a stake in the Kashagan oil field on the Kazakhstan sector of the Caspian Sea.
- Chinese oil company: Acted in connection with its acquisition of 100% participating interest in a Kazakhstan oil company.
- Korea National Oil Corporation: Acted as Kazakhstan counsel in connection with the acquisition of shares Altius Holdings Inc. on the Kazakhstan Stock Exchange, valued at US $514 million.
- International Petroleum Limited: Advised on a fundraising of $30 million on the AXS listing (100,000,000 Share offering).
- ConocoPhilips: Acted on the acquisition of exploration and production rights in the "N" Block located in the Kazakhstan sector of the Caspian Sea.
- World Bank: Acted for the advising the RK Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources on improvement of legislation on gas flaring.
- ENRC Plc: Was part of the firm team which acted as Kazakhstan counsel to the client in connection with its initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange, which raised GBP 1.5 billion.
- Major oil company: Advising in relation to its acquisition of an interest in an oil block in the North Caspian.
- Upstream oil company: Advising on an acquisition.
- National oil company: Advising on the acquisition of an interest in an oil block in the North Caspian.
- Two international oil companies: Advising in relation to drafting and negotiating a PSA for on offshore area.
- Canadian independent oil company: Advising on issues arising in relation to their hydrocarbon contracts.
- Middle Eastern oil company: Advised in drafting and negotiation of a tax royalty hydrocarbon contract.
- Canadian independent oil company: Advised in drafting and negotiation of a tax royalty hydrocarbon contract.
- Asian oil company: Advised on the sale of interests in the Tenge oil field.
- Confidential client: Advised on a farmout of a 50% interest in a PSA from a major Middle Eastern oil company to an international oil company and negotiating amendments to the PSA.
- Confidential client: – was a member of the firm's team advising on purchase of an interest in a consortium developing the Kashagan field in the Caspian.
- Extensive experience dealing with obtaining/assigning of subsurface use rights as well as drafting and negotiating a sale and purchase agreement with respect to companies owning oil and gas and mining properties in Kazakhstan.
Chambers Global 2013 Client's Guide to the Leading Lawyers in Business notes that he "really knows his stuff" and "can express legal views cogently."
- Recommended by Who's Who of Oil and Gas Lawyers
- Recommended by Chambers Global - Client's Guide to the Leading Lawyers in Business.
Almas has written numerous articles on oil, gas and mining topics including publications for Mineral Resources of Kazakhstan, the Almaty Herald and the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law.
- Proposed amendments to Subsoil Use Law, Doing Business in Kazakhstan 2013
- "Recent Developments in Texas, United States, and International Energy Law, Kazakhstan: Petroleum Regime Changes" for the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law (Vol. 1, No.1), 2006
- "A Legal Overview of Mining in Kazakhstan" for Mineral Resources of Kazakhstan, 2001
- "Amendments to the Petroleum Law" for the Almaty Herald, 1999
Activities and Affiliations
- VI Caspian Oil & Gas Trading and Transportation Conference: Kazakhstan: New Law on Trunk Pipelines, 2012
- VI Caspian Oil & Gas Trading and Transportation Conference: Legal aspects of transporting oil through pipelines in Kazakhstan, 2011
- KazEnergy 2011 Roundtable, Astana: Legal Regime for Subsurface Use under Current Subsurface Law, 2011
- KPA seminar for journalists: Subsurface Law: One Year After Enactment, 2011
- KIOGE 2010 Pre-conference Workshop, Almaty: Oil Field Services and Meeting Local Content Demands, 2010
- Kazakhstan Growth Forum 2010, London: Draft Subsurface Law, 2010
- Kazakhstan Petroleum Association: Ownership to Associated Gas, 2010
- KPA seminar for journalists: Subsurface Legislation: Forthcoming Changes, 2009
- KIOGE 2009 Pre-conference Workshop, Almaty: Navigating through procurement and local content rules, 2009
- KIOGE 2008 Conference, Almaty: Kazakhstan's Legislative Framework for Development of its Oil and Gas Resources, 2008
- The CIS Oil & Gas Summit, Paris: Kazakhstan's policies for oil and gas development in the Caspian, 2008
- KIOGE 2007 Pre-conference Workshop, Almaty: Procurement and local content: requirements for contractors, 2007
- KIOGE 2006 Pre-conference Workshop, Almaty: Successful investing into Kazakhstan: targeting and structuring the deal, 2006
- Workshop on Gas Utilization, Astana: Recent amendments to legislation regarding gas utilization, 2005
- Major Pipelines and Export Projects Conference, London: Oil and gas transportation in the CIS and Caspian region.
- AIPN International Conference, Moscow: When international contractual provisions meet local practice, 2005
- Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers' Association Conference, Astana: Recent and proposed amendments to subsoil and petroleum laws, 2003
- Rocky Mountain Law Foundation Conference, Santa Fe: Transborder infrastructure projects: CPC pipeline – a case study, 1999
- Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers' Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Arbitrator of the Kazakhstan International Arbitrage
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons (formerly SNR Denton), Almaty, (2009 – to date)
- Senior Attorney, Denton Wilde Sapte, Almaty, (2003–2009)
- Attorney, Denton Wilde Sapte, Almaty, (1997–2002)