Bill has a transaction-based practice advising corporations, investment dealers and banks with respect to the structuring and implementation of mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings, project financings and joint ventures.
Bill is Global Vice Chair of Dentons and the presiding member of the National Partnership Board of Dentons Canada. He is former Chairman of the Securities Law section of the Canadian Bar Association in Southern Alberta and a frequent contributor to seminars on corporate finance topics.
- Advising Enbridge Inc. on its agreement to transfer its Canadian liquids pipelines business, held by Enbridge Pipelines Inc. and Enbridge Pipelines Athabasca Inc., and certain Canadian renewable energy assets to a subsidiary of Enbridge Income Fund for consideration, including assumption of debt, valued at $30.4 billion.
- Advising Shaw Communications Inc., a leading Canadian telecommunications provider, on a US$480 million cross-border credit facility comprised of a US$395 million term loan and US$85 million revolving credit facility for ViaWest, Inc., Shaw's wholly-owned US provider of colocation, cloud, and managed services in North America. This was a multi-stage refinancing funded entirely by US lenders.
- Acting for Shaw Communications Inc., a leading communications provider, on the extension and amendment of its CA$1.0 billion senior revolving credit agreement.
- Counsel to Noralta Lodge Ltd. in its private placement offering of CA$150 million 7.50% senior secured second lien notes due 2019, and simultaneous entry of a senior secured syndicated CA$110 million bank facility.
- Counsel to Enbridge Southern Lights LP and Enbridge Pipelines (Southern Lights) L.L.C. on the concurrent private placements of senior unsecured notes for a combined CA$1.5 billion refinancing in connection with the Southern Lights Pipeline Project. Awarded North American Project Bond Deal of the Year 2014, IJGlobal Americas Awards
- Counsel to Corus Entertainment Inc. in respect of the amendment and restatement of their existing credit facilities. The new syndicated CA$650 million facility includes both term and revolving loans, the guarantees for which are drawn against Corus operating subsidiaries. The proceeds are to be used for operating purposes including the acquisition of all the third party interests in YTV Canada.
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on its public offering of $800 million aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes issued in two tranches: a $500 million aggregate principal amount of 4.35% senior notes, and a $300 million aggregate principal amount of floating rate senior notes
- Counsel to the indirect shareholders of Inter Pipeline Fund's general partner on the sale of the general partner in connection with Inter Pipeline's $340 million management internalization transaction and subsequent conversion to a corporation
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on a $400 million senior note offering
- Advising Corus Entertainment Inc. on its CAD$550 million high-yield offering of 4.25% senior unsecured guaranteed notes, one of the largest public offerings of non-investment grade debt completed in Canada to date. The notes are due 2020 and were publicly offered in Canada under Corus’ shelf prospectus and in the U.S. pursuant to Rule 144A by a syndicate of underwriters co-lead by TD Securities Inc. and BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., as joint bookrunners, and included RBC Dominion Securities Inc., Scotia Capital Inc., CIBC World Markets Inc. and National Bank Financial Inc.
- Counsel to a syndicate of underwriters in relation to a completed offering by Liquor Stores N.A. Ltd. of 5.85% convertible unsecured subordinated debentures for aggregate gross proceeds of $67.5 million
- Counsel to the underwriters on an $86 million bought deal equity financing of common shares by Parkland Fuel Corporation
- Counsel to Capital Power on financings, which have a combined value of CDN$995,000,000, specifically a US dollar Note issue by Capital Power U.S. Financing L.P., as Issuer, and guaranteed by Capital Power L.P., as Parent Guarantor, pursuant to which US$230,000,000 5.21% Series A Senior Guaranteed Notes and US$65,000,000 5.61% Series B Senior Guaranteed Notes were issued, and the amendment and restatement of the senior syndicated credit facilities of Capital Power L.P. of CDN$700,000,000. The amendment and restatement included the addition of Capital Power (US Holdings) Inc. as US Borrower.
- Counsel to Capital Power U.S. Financing LP on a private placement offering of US$295 million of long-term senior unsecured notes
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on a $300 million rate reset preferred share offering
- Counsel to Corus Entertainment Inc. on a $500 million senior unsecured guaranteed note offering, Canada's largest high yield debt financing to date
- Counsel to United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative Limited on a $300 million asset-based lending ("ABL"), one of the largest syndicated ABL led by a Canadian Financial Institution to date
- Counsel to Bronco Energy Ltd. with respect to its acquisition by Legacy Oil + Gas Inc. for $36 million
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on $900 million senior note offering
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on its $300 million acquisition of Mountain Cablevision Limited, to become Canada's largest cable provider
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on a $650 million senior note offering, Canada’s largest "BBB" rated 30-year debt financing to date
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on a $1.25 billion senior note offering, Canada’s largest ten-year senior note offering and second largest senior note offering of any tenor completed by a "BBB" rated Canadian issuer (excluding financial institutions)
- Canadian counsel to the investors in connection with a US$300 million private placement note offering by EnerMark Inc. (a subsidiary of Enerplus Resources Fund)
- Represented Addax Petroleum Corporation’s largest shareholder, The Addax & Oryx Group Ltd., on the $8.27 billion acquisition of Addax Petroleum by Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation
- Counsel to United Farmers of Alberta Co-operative Limited with respect to their financing arrangements including its US$65 million acquisition of certain assets of Sportsman's Warehouse, Inc.
- Acted as Alberta co-counsel to Barrick Gold on its $410 million acquisition of Cadence Energy
- Acted as Canadian counsel to Bronco Energy Ltd. on the completion of its $69.7 million prospectus offering of common shares
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on $600 million senior note offering
- Canadian counsel to Enbridge Southern Lights LP and Enbridge Pipelines (Southern Lights) LLC on the CA$1.78 billion syndicated credit facilities in connection with the Southern Lights Pipeline Project (Project Finance Deal of the Year)
- Canadian counsel to Petro-Canada on a US$1.5 billion senior notes offering
- Counsel to Petro-Canada on the establishment of $4 billion operating credit facilities
- Counsel to the syndicate of lenders (led by Royal Bank of Canada as agent) with respect to Keyera Energy’s $150 million syndicated credit facilities
- Counsel to EPCOR Power L.P. for a US$225 million private placement by subsidiary EPCOR Power (US) G.P.
- Pogo Producing Co. of Houston, Texas, on its US$2 billion sale of its Calgary-based oil and gas company, Northrock Resources Ltd., to Abu Dhabi National Energy Co. (TAQA)
- Counsel to Shaw Communications Inc. on the $400 million senior note offering
- Counsel to the underwriters in connection with a $450 million initial public offering by Addax Petroleum Corporation and a subsequent follow-on offering of $402 million in subscription receipts to fund its acquisition of Pan Ocean Energy
- Counsel to Petro-Canada in connection with the acquisition financing for its $3.2 billion acquisition of Veba Oil & Gas GmbHand the subsequent establishment of its $2 billion senior syndicated operating credit facilities
- Counsel to Canadian Pacific Railway Company in connection with its $815 million senior syndicated credit facility, the private placement by its subsidiary CPR Leasing Ltd. of US$145 million of its 5.41% senior secured notes secured by locomotives leased to CPR and the issuance of $1 billion of senior unsecured notes
- Advised Petro-Canada in respect of its acquisition of a 60% interest in the Fort Hills Energy Limited Partnership, the entity that owns the Fort Hills oil sands project, and advised in respect of the addition of Teck Cominco as a 15% stakeholder in the same entity
- Counsel to Alliance Pipeline Limited Partnership and its U.S. affiliate Alliance Pipeline LP in connection with their initial organization and $3.8 billion limited recourse project financing as well as in connection with their refinancing of the credit facilities through the issuance of Cdn$1.15 billion of senior secured notes by Alliance Pipeline Limited Partnership and US$1.5 billion of senior secured notes by Alliance Pipeline LP
- Counsel to Shaw Communications in connection with issuance of $300 million and $450 million in senior notes
- Counsel to the underwriters in connection with a $526 million trust unit offering by Pengrowth Energy Trust in order to fund a significant asset acquisition
- Counsel to the underwriters in connection with a $460 million trust unit offering completed by Pengrowth Energy Trust in December of 2006, being the first offering initiated by an income trust after the announcement of proposed tax changes affecting income trusts
- Counsel to Petro-Canada in connection with a US$600 million issuance of senior notes
- Counsel to the lenders under the $150 million syndicated credit facility established in favour of The Brick Group Income Fund in connection with its initial public offering
- Counsel to the lenders under the $170 million syndicated credit facility established in favour of Keyera Facilities Income Fund in connection with its initial public offering
- Counsel to Shaw Communications in connection with the establishment of its $1 billion senior syndicated credit facility
- Counsel to EPCOR Utilities Inc. in connection with its acquisition from TransCanada of all of its interest in TransCanada Power, L.P. (now EPCOR Power L.P., Canada's largest power income fund) for an aggregate purchase price of $529 million
- Counsel to Pogo Producing Company in connection with the financing of its $1.8 billion acquisition of Northrock Resources
- Counsel to EPCOR Utilities Inc. in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with TransAlta Corporation under which, among other things, TransAlta acquired a 50 per cent interest in EPCOR’s Genesee Phase 3 project
- Counsel to Pipeline Management Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the general partner of Inter Pipeline Fund
- Counsel to Corus Entertainment Inc. in connection with its issuance of US$375 million of 8-3/4 per cent senior subordinated notes pursuant to Rule 144A
Recognized by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate and M&A (2013 - 2015)
Recognized by Legal 500 Canada 2015 in the areas of Capital Markets and Corporate and M&A.
Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Banking and Finance Law (2011-2015), Corporate Law (2008-2015), Energy Law, Equipment Finance Law (2006-2015), Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Oil and Gas Law and Securities Law (2011-2015)
Recognized by Who’s Who Legal and Who’s Who Legal Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy (2013-2014) and Project Finance (2011-2014)
Recognized by Who’s Who Legal Canada as a leading lawyer in the area Capital Markets (2010-2014)
Recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2005-2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Corporate Commercial Law
Recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2005-2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Banking & Financial Institutions
Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2011-2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Energy (Oil & Gas)
Recognized by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in the area of Banking & Finance (2012-2014)
Recognized by The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (2008-2011, 2013-2015) in the area of Corporate Commercial Law
Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2007-2010, 2013, 2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Private Equity
Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2005, 2006, 2013) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Corporate Finance & Securities
Recognized by The Legal 500 Canada 2013 in the area of Corporate and M&A
Recognized by the 2012 International Who's Who of Business Lawyers ("Who's Who Legal") in the areas of Capital Markets and Project Finance
Recommended by PLC Which lawyer? in the PLC Capital Markets multi-jurisdictional guide 2012 in the area of Capital Markets - Debt and Equity
Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2012) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions Law
Recognized by The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (2010, 2011) in the area of Banking & Financial Institutions
Recognized by the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (2010) in the area of Banking Law
Recognized by the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (2009) in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions and Banking & Financial Institutions
PLC Which lawyer? 2009 ranks Bill as one of the most Highly Recommended Capital Markets: Debt and Equity lawyers in Canada
Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the areas of Project Finance Law (2006, 2008-2010), Corporate Mid-Market (2007) and Asset/Equipment Finance & Leasing (2005-2007)
Bill has twice acted as lead counsel in connection with project financings recognized by Project Finance (an international Euromoney publication) as the Oil & Gas Deal of the Year. Bill acted for Enbridge Southern Lights LP and Enbridge Pipelines (Southern Lights) LLC in connection with the $1.78 billion limited recourse credit facilities established to fund Enbridge’s Southern Lights project. He also acted for Alliance Pipeline Limited Partnership and Alliance Pipeline LP in connection with their initial organization and $3.8 billion limited recourse project financing.
In the Media
Activities and Affiliations
- Past Chairman of the Securities Law section of the Canadian Bar Association in Southern Alberta
- Former counsel to the Alberta Committee of the Canadian Bankers Association
- Represented the Canadian Bar Association on the PPSA Users Committee established by the Alberta Department of the Attorney General in connection with the introduction of the Personal Property Security Act (Alberta)
- Former member of the Loan and Trust Sub-Committee of the Canadian Bar Association - Ontario, formed to review and comment on Ontario’s loan and trust legislation
- Former member of the board of directors of the Canadian Association of Income Funds
- Member of the Law Societies of Alberta and Ontario
- Presenter, Dentons Capital Markets Presents: Trends in Canadian High Yield Debt, “Canadian High Yield Debt: Covenant Packages”, June, 2014
- Speaker at Infocast's Canadian Oil and Gas M&A Forum in October 2012 on the topic of Navigating the Public Auction Process
- Speaker at Insight's 2011 Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements, presented Pre-Negotiation and Negotiation Strategies: Legal, Business and Ethical Considerations and Practical Examples
- Speaker at Insight’s 2010 Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements, presented Effective Negotiation - Getting What You Want From The Deal
- Speaker at the Canadian Institute's 2008 Negotiating & Drafting Key Business Agreements courses
- Moderator of Panel Discussion at the Conference Board of Canada’s Corporate Counsel Forum on “The General Counsel and the Board”
- Co-Chairman of The Canadian Institute’s Symposium on Adapting to Income Trust Taxation; speaker on the topics of “Fund Exit Strategies” and “Where is the Income Trust Industry Headed?”
- Course Leader for Federated Press’s program on Structuring Venture Capital & Private Equity Transactions
- Speaker at The Canadian Institute's 2006 Income Trust Conference on the topic of Examining the Latest Conversion Trends: Business and Structural Alternatives
- Speaker at The Canadian Institute's Mergers and Acquisitions Conference on the topic of Canadian and U.S. Considerations in Cross-Border M&A Transactions
- Speaker at the Canada/U.S. Financial Reporting and Accounting Conference sponsored by Federated Press conference on Current Issues at the Securities Commissions
- Co-Chair and Speaker, 9th Annual Western Canadian Securities Forum
- Speaker at Insight’s Income and Royalty Trusts conference on M&A Considerations with Income Trusts
- Speaker at The Canadian Institute’s Third National Summit on Income Trusts on the topic of Creating Shareholder Value: Conversion, M&As and Other Alternatives
- Panelist at Infonex Corporate Governance Conference regarding Canadian response to Sarbanes-Oxle
- Speaker at Insight’s Western Canadian Securities Forum on the topic of Recent Trends in Debt Finance
- Panelist at the advanced seminar on project finance sponsored by the International Bar Association
- Speaker at the Annual Convention of the American Bar Association regarding cross-border financings
- Speaker at a program sponsored by the Canadian Energy Research Institute on the corporate governance aspects of royalty trusts and income funds