Jan 23, 2014
Dentons is a global firm driven to provide a competitive edge in an increasingly complex and interconnected marketplace. It was formed in March 2013 by the combination of international law firm Salans LLP, Canadian law firm Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (FMC) and international law firm SNR Denton. Dentons is built on the solid foundations of these three highly valued law firms. Each built an outstanding reputation and valued clientele by responding to the local, regional and national needs of a broad spectrum of clients of all sizes – individuals; entrepreneurs; small businesses and start-ups; local, regional and national governments and government agencies; and mid-sized and larger private and public corporations, including international and global entities.
Dentons’ clients now benefit from approximately 2,600 lawyers and professionals in more than 75 locations spanning 50-plus countries across Africa, Asia Pacific, Canada, Central Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Russia and the CIS, the UK and the US who are committed to challenge the status quo and offer creative, dynamic business and legal solutions.
Dentons offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Business Development Specialist role focuses on driving forward business development initiatives at the local level, while working with colleagues across the country to coordinate and execute national activities for specific national practice and sector groups including the firm’s national Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Group and others, as assigned. In addition, this role participates in strategic business planning while managing the implementation of local components of business plans.
Working closely with the lawyer leads of the assigned groups, the Business Development Specialist will play a key role in pushing forward marketing and business development initiatives nationally while liaising with counterparts in other regions on global initiatives. The focus of the role is to help drive strategic business planning while managing the subsequent implementation of business plans. It is about coordinating efforts, organizing people, disseminating information, improving processes, and tracking progress.
As the go-to BD resource, the Business Development Specialist will be expected to develop knowledge of the industry, the clients, and the group’s expertise and capabilities. The Business Development Specialist will work closely with other members of the Marketing & Business Development Department across Canada and globally.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist with the development and implementation of strategic business plans for assigned practice groups
- Assist the local office Managing Partner with development of local office strategy and business plans
- Provide regular reports on group/office activities and track the results of business development activities
Client Acquisition and Development
- Develop an in-depth understanding of our clients and regularly monitor fees for the top clients, watching for where there may be opportunities to expand relationships and cross-sell
- Work with Business Intelligence group to establish and maintain intelligence systems
- Monitor new matters for the Calgary office and assigned practice groups, tracking representative work and expertise ensuring the information is fed into the appropriate functions
- Develop pitches / proposals originating from the Calgary office and assigned practice groups. Requires working with lead lawyer(s) to write content, develop pricing strategies, manage the submission, and organize presentation rehearsals and win/loss reviews
- Develop practice specific business development materials and collateral
Sector and Practice Campaign Delivery
- Manage the implementation of tactical activities driven by annual business plans, such as events, sponsorships / conferences, directory listings, and advertising, working with a wide variety of team members from across Marketing & Business Development on execution
- Monitor conferences and other business development opportunities for direct fit for groups, including coordinating Canada/global presence
- Actively participate in BD meetings for assigned groups and local practices, preparing agendas if necessary, tracking resulting action items and monitoring progress on action items
- Actively raise profile of assigned practice groups and office by participating in key legal directories and publication submissions, identifying speaking and writing opportunities for group members etc.
- Assist with regular communication and information sharing, for instance, through deal tracking, new matter reports, insights on industry trends, client relationship guides
- Assist with local internal and external communications as necessary
- Post-secondary degree, certificate or diploma in Marketing, Business or related discipline;
- 3-5 years of experience in a business development or marketing/communications role; experience working within a virtual team setting an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the Firm;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships, and take direction and criticism in a positive manner;
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines;
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly and to ensure they are clearly communicated to an audience;
- Energetic, self-motivated, and results-oriented;
- Ability to consistently meet the needs of internal clients; including flexibility and perseverance;
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, persuasion, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills;
- Politically and culturally sensitive;
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills;
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts;
- Strong morals and ethics, along with a commitment to privacy;
- Experience working with lawyers and other senior stakeholders to develop achievable goals and processes an asset;
- Bilingual (French/English) is an asset.
Qualified applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to:
Director, Human Resources and Administration
Dentons Canada LLP
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.