Charles R. Spector co-leads the Corporate Law group of Dentons Canada LLP’s Montreal office. His practice covers a wide range of commercial transactions focusing primarily on public and private corporate and project financing, takeovers, and mergers and acquisitions.
Chuck represents clients in certain key industries including energy, oil and gas, pulp and paper and mining. He advises his clients on matters in the following fields: public offerings, private placements, takeover bids, takeover bid defenses and strategies, leveraged buy-outs, private power project financing, corporate reorganizations and corporate governance
Chuck has published articles on a variety of subjects including government regulations affecting the petroleum industry, the duties of the board of directors during a hostile takeover and independent power project financing in Quebec. Chuck is a director of several private and public corporations and active in the management of the firm at both the local, national and global levels.
- Thomson Reuters: Advising shareholders on the sale of Dr. Tax.
- China Development Bank: Advising on a CA$352 million credit facility to Canadian Royalties Inc.
- Cascades Inc.: Advising in connection with the CA$400 million sale of the shares of its Dopaco, Inc. and Dopaco Canada Inc. subsidiaries to Reynolds Group Holdings Limited.
- Adamus Resources Limited: Advising with respect to its CA$313 million combination by way of a scheme of arrangement with Endeavour Mining Corporation.
- Bridgewater Systems Corporation: Advising on its CA$211 million acquisition by Amdocs Limited by way of plan of arrangement.
- Tembec Industries Inc.: Advising with respect to the completion of its cross-border offer to exchange up to US$255 million of outstanding senior notes.
- Paladin Labs Inc.: Advising the underwriters on a CA$40.25 million bought deal offering.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising with respect to its CA$4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising on its US$250 million secured revolving credit facility.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on its CA$226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on its bought-deal offering of CA$109.25 million aggregate principal amount of convertible debentures, including an initial CA$95 million offering and an additional CA$14.25 million offering pursuant to the exercise of an over-allotment option.
- Optimal Group Inc.: Advising a group of insiders on its acquisition of Optimal Group Inc. by way of a takeover bid.
- Tembec Inc.: Advising, as Canadian co-counsel, in connection with its US$255 million offering of 11.25% notes of its wholly owned subsidiary, Tembec Industries Inc.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising on its private placement offering of US$100 million of senior secured bonds.
- Cascades Inc.: Advising on concurrent senior note offerings of US$500 million and CA$200 million, and a follow-on of US$250 million.
- Pinnacle (Pinnacle Security, LLC, Pinnacle Security CA, LP, and Pinnacle Alarm, LLC): Advising on its senior secured amended and restated U.S. and Canadian syndicated credit facilities in the aggregate amount of US$102 million.
- Cascades Inc.: Advising on its CA$60 million acquisition of the tissue division assets of Atlantic Packaging Products Ltd.
- Paladin Labs Inc.: Advising the underwriters on a CA$58.7 million bought deal offering.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising in connection with its acquisition of Ocean Falls hydroelectric power station located in Northern B.C.
- Cascades Inc.: Advising in connection with the sale to PaperlinX Canada Limited of Cascades Resources, the Canadian paper merchanting business of Cascades Fine Papers Group Inc. (approximately CA$81 million).
- Confidential client: Advising the lenders in connection with a CA$80 million syndicated loan for the financing of a wind farm in the province of Quebec.
- Forage à Diamant Benoît Ltée: Advising in connection with its CA$21 million acquisition by Major Drilling Group International Inc.
- Maritime Electric Company, Limited: Advising the arranger/agent and purchasers on a CA$50 million private placement of First Mortgage Bonds.
- Société générale de financement du Québec: Advising on the CA$100 million acquisition of equity interest in Alliance Films Inc.
- Dundee Securities Corporation: Advising in the CA$22 million bought deal financing of ConjuChem Biotechnologies Inc.
- Skyservice Airlines Inc.: Advising in its acquisition by Gibralt Capital Corporation.
- WowWee: Advising on its sale to Optimal Group.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on the completion of the CA$110 million bought deal offering.
- Cascades Inc. and Norampac Inc.: Advising in connection with a series of cross-border senior note financings (US$850 million).
- Biotech, technology and other issuers: Advising underwriters in numerous equity financings, including Conjuchem Biotechnologies Inc. (CA$220 million).
- Aéroports de Montréal: Advising on its issue of series "H" reserve bonds (CA$300 million).
- Boralex Inc.: Advising in connection with the creation of Boralex Power Income Fund (CA$268 million IPO and a subsequent CA$165 million offering).
- Cascades Inc.: Advising in its purchase of the remaining 50% equity interest in Norampac Inc. (CA$560 million) and concurrent equity financings (CA$250 million).
- Technilab Inc.: Advising in connection with its takeover by Ratiopharm GmbH (CA$77 million).
- Provigo Inc.: Advising in connection with its takeover by Loblaw Companies Limited (CA$1.6 billion).
- Several financial institutions: Advising in connection with construction and term loans to various private power producers.
- Junex Inc., a Quebec-based oil and gas exploration company: Advising in connection with its exploration and production agreements with Team Energy and Forest Oil Corporation.
- Confidential client: Advising the lender in connection with a bridge loan of CA$550 million to finance the acquisition of Alexis Nihon Real Estate Investment Trust.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2013 and 2014: Repeatedly recommended as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the areas of Corporate Finance & Securities and Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 and 2014: Ranked among Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities Law by
- IFLR 1000 (2013): Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of capital markets
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012: Recommended as one of Canada's most repeatedly recommended lawyers in the area of Securities | Corporate Finance
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2009: Ranked among Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of corporate finance & securities law
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Ranked among Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of cross-border merger and acquisitions
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers: Recommended as a leading Canadian project finance lawyer
- Recognized as one of Montréal's leading deal makers from the Montréal Centre-Ville Magazine, Winter 2007)
- Martindale-Hubbell: Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
In the Media
- Quoted in Julius Melnitzer’s article, “The allure of Africa,” Lexpert, April 30, 2014
- Quoted in ''Flow-through shares: Canada’s quirky tax innovation'' by Drew Hasselback, Financial Post, March 7, 2013
- Interviewed on "Similarities and Differences in our Two Systems of Securities Laws", The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, August 22, 2012
- Quoted in "2012: Cinq associés se prononcent..." by Céline Gobert, Droit-Inc., December 23, 2011
- “National Instrument 31-103: Registration Requirements and Exemptions", article published in Focus on Securities, August 2009
- “SCC Released the Detailed Reasons for BCE Judgment”, article published in the newsletter Focus on Litigation and Securities, December 2008
- “Project Financing in Canada”, article published in Lexpert® Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, May 2008
- “Independent Board Leaders: Roles and Responsibilities”, article published in the newsletter Focus on Securities, January 2003
- “Capital Pool Companies in Québec”, article published in the newsletter Focus on Securities, November 2002
- “Takeovers and the Duties of the Board of Directors: Comparative Aspects of American and Canadian Standards", article published in the Revue de Droit, Université de Sherbrooke, 1989
- “Government Regulation of the Canadian Petroleum Industry: Causes, Effects and the Choice of the Regulatory Instrument", article published in the Revue de Droit, Université de Sherbrooke, 1984
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Legal Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers (2002-2011)
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Montréal representative on Dentons' Partnership Board
- United Way Leader's Circle
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation of Canada
- Co-Chair of the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th Annual Leadership Jewish General Hospital Tennis Classic
- Presenter, ''Financing Mining Projects in the Plan Nord Region'', (presentation), Plan Nord Boot Camp, October 2, 2012
- Panelist, CCCA 2012 World Summit and CCCA 2012 National Spring Conference, Montréal, April 13, 2012
- "Un bref aperçu de la réglementation sur les valeurs mobilières applicable au Canada dans le cadre d'opérations de fusions et d'acquisitions", conference approved by the Québec Bar as part of the continuing education, October 19, 2011
- Co-moderator for a panel on Securities Investigation, 19th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 14 and 15, 2010
- "Securities Law", conference approved by the Québec Bar as part of the continuing education, May 19, 2010
- Co-moderator for a panel on Securities Litigation and Re-Structuring, 18th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 15 and 16, 2009
- Presenter, Argyle Executive Forum - 2008 Leadership in the Private Capital Markets, November 13, 2008
- Co-moderator for a panel on new restrictions respecting investment in Canada, 17th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 16 and 17, 2008
- Presenter, Securities, Insight Conference, January 21 and 22, 2008
- Presenter, "Venture Capital Transactions", May 22 and 23, 2007
- Co-moderator for a panel of securities enforcement in Canada at the 16th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 11 and 12, 2007
- Co-moderator for a panel on audit committees, 15th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 12 and 13, 2006
- Co-moderator for a panel on emerging liability trends, 14th Annual Securities Conference of the AMF, October 20 and 21, 2005
- Presenter, "Project Financing", Québec Energy Summit, Insight Conference, October 2002