With more than 25 years of extensive regulatory experience, David Hunter provides strategic counsel on complicated aboriginal and environmental legal issues. He acts for resource companies engaged with First Nations in consultation.
David has represented First Nations, resource companies, provincial and federal governments, and international agencies with respect to environmental and aboriginal matters, David also acts as counsel in matters relating to Ontario’s Environmental Assessment Act, Environmental Protection Act, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, and the Ontario Mining Act.
David has appeared before the criminal courts in the Province of Ontario, the Ontario Municipal Board, the Ontario Environmental Assessment Board, the Ontario Environmental Review Panel, and the Ontario Energy Board. He is a former Chair of the Joint Public Advisory Committee with respect to the Canada/Chile Agreement on Environmental Cooperation and is a former member of the Great Lakes Science Advisory Board to the International Joint Commission. David was also Counsel to the Niagara Escarpment Commission and Executive Director for the implementation of the Provincial Offences Act. David is an occasional lecturer at the East China University of Politics and Law in Shanghai, China.
- Counsel to Argonaut Gold Inc., a Canadian gold company engaged in exploration, mine development and production activities in Mexico, in its $341 million business combination with Prodigy Gold Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Aboriginal Law
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2013 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Aboriginal Law
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
- "A New Paradigm for Aboriginal Consultation in Ontario", OBA Aboriginal Law Section Newsletter, Volume 16, No. 1, December 2012
- "The New Fisheries Act: What Miners Need to Know", Focus on Mining, November 2012
- "Ontario’s Public Lands Act: What Miners Need to Know", Focus on Mining, September 2012
- "A New Paradigm for Aboriginal Consultation in Ontario: What Miners Need to Know", Focus on Mining, July 2012
- "Canada's New Environmental Assessment and Aboriginal Consultation Regime: What Miners Need to Know", Focus on Mining, June 2012
- "Canada’s New Environmental Assessment Regime: What Miners Need to Know", Focus on Mining, May 2012
- "The Drummond Report: What Miners Need to Know", March 2012
- "MNDM Releases Draft Mining Class Environmental Assessment for Comment", Focus on Mining, February 2012
- "Ontario Court Halts Exploration After Mining Company Refused to Consult First Nation", Focus on the Environmental and Aboriginal Law, January 2012