David practises as a commercial litigator and ADR specialist, focusing on real estate, environmental law, construction, corporate/commercial and shareholder rights.
David is recognized nationally and internationally as a leading practitioner in the areas of litigation and arbitration. In particular, David is recognized in Chambers Global: The Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business published by Chambers & Partners, and Experts in Commercial Arbitration, published by Euromoney.
David has achieved an “AV” Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, one of the leading authorities on the legal profession. The AV rating demonstrates that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence.
- Acted as counsel in an arbitration relating to the correct calculation of a mining royalty (2010)
- Acting as a panel member in an international arbitration involving a substantial sum of money and considerable complexity relating to a dispute concerning a supply and construction contract between a European supplier and Canadian parties and a unique construction project
- Acting as a panel member in an international arbitration involving a substantial sum of money involving novel legal issues arising in a dispute arising from a software distribution contract between European and Canadian parties
- Acting as sole arbitrator appointed by the Superior Court of Ontario to determine commercial real estate issues and report to the Court with an award
- Acting for a major U.K. manufacturer in an international (ICC) arbitration with respect to a products liability claim
- Acted for the Ontario Deputy Judges Association comprising over 350 deputy small claims court judges in the Province of Ontario who had not had a raise in compensation since 1982
- Acted as arbitration counsel for a pulp and paper company in a dispute concerning the post-closing cost of installing environmental controls and remediation work totaling more than $55 million
- Recognized by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2005 - 2007, 2009 - 2015)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Alternative Dispute Resolution (2006-2015), Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2010-2015), Environmental Law (2010-2015) and International Arbitration (2008-2015)
- Ranked by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of International Commercial Arbitration
- Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
- Recommended by PLC Which lawyer? in the PLC Dispute Resolution multi-jurisdictional guide 2012 in the area of International Arbitration
In the Media
- “Former Northstar Directors and Officers Reach Settlement with Ministry of the Environment”, Focus on Environmental Law, October 2013
- "Arbitration of Environmental Disputes", Focus on Environmental Law, February 2012
- Focus on Alternative Dispute Resolution - August 2010
- "Stay of Arbitration: One Strike and You're Out?", Possibilities - CBA National Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Newsletter, June 2010
- Co-authored with Marina Sampson "Stay of Arbitration: One Strike and You're Out?" Ontario Bar Association Newsletter, ADR section, Volume 18, No. 2, March 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Past President, ADR Institute of Canada Inc.
- Past President, the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario
- Past Director, Advocates’ Society
- Co-founder, Dispute Resolution Alliance of Canada
- Member, the Advocates’ Society, the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario, and the Canadian Bar Association
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Presenter, "Renewing the Pillars of Domestic Arbitration – New Canadian Arbitration Laws and New ADRIC Rules”, ADRIC 2013 / ICC Canada 2013, October 24, 2013
- Panelist, "Pitfalls of Remediation Plans, FMC Environmental Seminar", Toronto, June 14, 2012
- Frequent author and speaker on commercial litigation, environmental law and ADR subjects
- Panel Member, "10 Things You Need to Know About ADR", Seminar Series on the New Ontario Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Requirements (Ontario), February 10, 2011