David practises as a commercial litigator and ADR specialist, focusing on real estate, environmental law, construction, corporate/commercial and shareholder rights.
David is recognized nationally and internationally as a leading practitioner in the areas of litigation and arbitration. In particular, David is recognized in Chambers Global: The Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business published by Chambers & Partners, and Experts in Commercial Arbitration, published by Euromoney.
David has achieved an “AV” Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, one of the leading authorities on the legal profession. The AV rating demonstrates that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence.
- Acted as counsel in an arbitration relating to the correct calculation of a mining royalty (2010)
- Acting as a panel member in an international arbitration involving a substantial sum of money and considerable complexity relating to a dispute concerning a supply and construction contract between a European supplier and Canadian parties and a unique construction project
- Acting as a panel member in an international arbitration involving a substantial sum of money involving novel legal issues arising in a dispute arising from a software distribution contract between European and Canadian parties
- Acting as sole arbitrator appointed by the Superior Court of Ontario to determine commercial real estate issues and report to the Court with an award
- Acting for a major U.K. manufacturer in an international (ICC) arbitration with respect to a products liability claim
- Acted for the Ontario Deputy Judges Association comprising over 350 deputy small claims court judges in the Province of Ontario who had not had a raise in compensation since 1982
- Acted as arbitration counsel for a pulp and paper company in a dispute concerning the post-closing cost of installing environmental controls and remediation work totaling more than $55 million
- Recognized by Chambers Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2016)
- Recognized by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Canada) (2005–2007, 2009–2015)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Alternative Dispute Resolution (2006–2016), Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2010–2016), Environmental Law (2010–2016) and International Arbitration (2008–2016)
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2006, 2008-2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of International Commercial Arbitration
- Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
- Recommended by PLC Which lawyer? in the PLC Dispute Resolution multi-jurisdictional guide 2012 in the area of International Arbitration
In the Media
- “Former Northstar Directors and Officers Reach Settlement with Ministry of the Environment”, Focus on Environmental Law, October 2013
- "Arbitration of Environmental Disputes", Focus on Environmental Law, February 2012
- Focus on Alternative Dispute Resolution - August 2010
- "Stay of Arbitration: One Strike and You're Out?", Possibilities - CBA National Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Newsletter, June 2010
- Co-authored with Marina Sampson "Stay of Arbitration: One Strike and You're Out?" Ontario Bar Association Newsletter, ADR section, Volume 18, No. 2, March 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Past President, ADR Institute of Canada Inc.
- Past President, the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario
- Past Director, Advocates’ Society
- Co-founder, Dispute Resolution Alliance of Canada
- Member, the Advocates’ Society, the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario, and the Canadian Bar Association
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Presenter, "Renewing the Pillars of Domestic Arbitration – New Canadian Arbitration Laws and New ADRIC Rules”, ADRIC 2013 / ICC Canada 2013, October 24, 2013
- Panelist, "Pitfalls of Remediation Plans, FMC Environmental Seminar", Toronto, June 14, 2012
- Frequent author and speaker on commercial litigation, environmental law and ADR subjects
- Panel Member, "10 Things You Need to Know About ADR", Seminar Series on the New Ontario Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Requirements (Ontario), February 10, 2011