Don is a member of the firm’s Financial, Property and Personal Services Practice Section in the Calgary office.
Don’s practice is primarily in the commercial real estate area, including acquisitions, project development and management, leasing and financing. His clients include major institutional investors and their advisors from across the country, as well as national real estate developers.
- Represented two major Canadian pension funds on their $110 million joint purchase of Edmonton’s ATCO Centre, a Class A, 20-storey office tower
- Counsel to ENMAX Corp. on the $163 million acquisition of Kettles Hill Wind Energy Inc. by its subsidiary ENMAX Green Power Inc.
- Acted for Redcliffe Realty Advisors Inc. in connection with the acquisition and financing of the OPUS office tower in Calgary
- Leader of various teams in structuring and closing a number of real estate acquisitions, developments, financings and dispositions for both developers and institutional investors, including the purchase and sale of major office towers in Calgary and Edmonton, and the development and financing of major retail and warehouse projects in Western Canada
- Advises several prominent pension fund real estate managers and advisors regarding real estate investments in western Canada, including compliance with tax and pension law
- Advises on structuring of various real estate joint ventures and on the exercise and enforcement by clients of various rights against co-venturers
- Land acquisition and office tower development (including construction financing) in downtown Calgary in 2005/06 by major Canadian pension funds
- Acquisition in 2005 and further development in 2006 of a portfolio of industrial/commercial properties in Edmonton by major Canadian pension funds
- Joint venture development in 2006/07 of a 400,000 plus square foot phased retail power centre in Calgary, including co-owners agreement, development agreement, construction and mezzanine financing, and management agreement
- Negotiation on behalf of both landlords and tenants of major commercial leases in office, retail and industrial properties in Calgary
- Representation of both lenders and borrowers in both construction and term real estate financing
- Recognized by Legal 500 Canada 2015 in the area of Real Estate
- Recommended by Best Lawyers in Canada 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Real Estate Law
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2014, 2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Property Leasing
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
- Focus on Real Estate, June 2011
- Focus on Real Estate, December 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Commercial Real Property Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Sessional Instructor in Canadian Business Law, Ambrose University College, Calgary
- Contributor to and participant in several seminars and lectures in real estate law