Eli Curi is a member of Denton's Corporate, and Venture
Technology and Emerging Growth Companies practices, with a focus on middle-market private equity
and emerging growth companies in the medical devices, Internet,
digital media and cleantech sectors.
Eli has significant experience in private equity and venture
capital transactions, corporate mergers and acquisitions, secured
finance transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and
hedge funds. He also works actively with emerging growth companies
and other technology companies, as well as the entrepreneurs behind
them, at all stages of a company's growth process from
incorporation through exit strategies.
- Represented Operative Media Inc. (a leading digital advertising business management company and a portfolio company of Edison Venture Fund and Honeywell) in connection with its acquisition of Solbright Inc. (a pioneer in digital advertising operations solutions).
- Represented Rayburn Country Electric Cooperative Inc. in connection with its $215 million acquisition from Calpine Corp. (NYSE: CPN) of an undivided interest in the 1,038 megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facility known as Freestone Energy Center, including debt financing of the acquisition and the negotiation of the joint ownership and operations arrangement with Calpine.
- Represented CherryRoad Technologies Inc. (a leading integrator of enterprise software and an Oracle PartnerNetwork Platinum Partner) in connection with its acquisition of the U.S.-based Oracle PeopleSoft ERP business of MAXIMUS, Inc. (NYSE:MMS).
- Representation of Cervitech Inc. in connection with the sale of its PCM artificial cervical spinal disc business to Nuvasive Inc. (Nasdaq: NUVA).
- Represented Link Spine Group, Inc., in the Goldman Sachs-sponsored auction of the SB Charité artificial spinal disc business to DePuy Spine, Inc. (a subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson).
- Represented Link America, Inc., d/b/a Link Orthopaedics, in connection with the sale of its S.T.A.R. Ankle system to Small Bone Innovations, Inc. (a portfolio company of the Viscogliosi Brothers private equity fund).
- Represented Biowave Corporation in connection with several venture capital transactions, including a financing transaction and distribution arrangement with Orthofix S.A.
- Represented the hedge fund Passport Capital LLC in connection with numerous privately negotiated investments and PIPE investments in public and pre-IPO companies.
- Represented the private equity fund Harbour Group in numerous acquisitions and dispositions, including the acquisitions of Tech Lighting LLC and LBL Lighting, Inc., f/k/a Lightning Bug, Ltd. (two leading designers and manufacturers of architectural lighting systems), and the disposition of the combined lighting companies to a portfolio company of Quad-C Management, Inc.
- Represented Central European Distribution Corporation (Nasdaq: CEDC), the largest distributor of alcoholic beverages in Poland, in connection with its $275 million acquisition of Bols Sp. z o.o. (a major Polish vodka producer) from Rémy Cointreau Group.
- Represented The Charmer Sunbelt Group (the second largest U.S. wine and spirits distributor with $3 billion in annual revenues) in connection with its acquisition of alcoholic beverage distributors and in the creation of joint ventures with numerous distributors throughout the United States.
- Represented Emergent Telecom Ventures (a fund formed by the former chairman of Telefonica S.A.) in its $215 million acquisition of a 71 percent interest in PeterStar, a Russian telephone company based in St. Petersburg, Russia, and owned by Metromedia International Group.
- Represented Loews Corporation in the $1.14 billion acquisition of Gulf South Pipeline Company, L.P. (a 8,000-mile interstate gas pipeline system located in Alabama and Florida) from Entergy-Koch, L.P.
- Represented Pride Diamonds LLC (a socially responsible diamond mining company) in connection with its private placement of securities to Tiffany and Co. and its subsequent sale to Target Resources Ltd.
- Represented Merrill Lynch and Piper Jaffray in their role as financial adviser and issuer of fairness opinions in numerous buy-side and sell-side transactions, including (i) the $300 million acquisition of CMOS maker, RocketChips, Inc., by Xilinx, Inc.; (ii) the acquisition of Neomorphic, Inc., a privately held, computational genomic company, by Affymetrix, Inc.; and (iii) the sale of the Sylvan Learning Centers, Sylvan Education Solutions, eSylvan, and Connections Academy divisions to Apollo Advisors, L.P., for approximately $310 million.
- Represented Kerzner International Limited (f/k/a Sun International) in connection with an internationally syndicated $650 million senior secured project development and working capital loan facility for the development of Atlantis and other Paradise Island properties in the Bahamas. Served as U.S. counsel to the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc in connection with acquisition financing of numerous companies, including SmartStream Technologies, Inc., and its U.S. subsidiaries and 7City Group Limited and its U.S. subsidiaries.
- Represented a large film and television distribution company in preparing, negotiating and closing the agreements for its investment in a film slate vehicle, acquisition of important distribution rights in the slate films, and the creation of a co-finance and co-distribution arrangement intended to cover a large and diverse assortment of feature films and television content.
- "Sarbanes-Oxley and Target Financials: How Will New
Requirements Affect Public Companies' Acquisition of Private
Entities?" New York Law Journal.
- "Negotiations to Buy: How Confidential? Figuring Out What
Public Companies Must Disclose, and When, During Acquisition
Talks," New York Law Journal.
Activities and Affiliations
- In 2007, Eli received the "Andrew A. Rivera Alumni Achievement
Award" from Fordham Law School's Latin-American Law Students
Association (LALSA). He was selected based on his personal and
professional achievements along with his dedication to LALSA.
- Eli is a member of the Board
of Directors of Practicing Attorneys for Law Students Program Inc.
(PALS), an organization dedicated to enhancing the skills and
careers of minority law students and early career
- Eli is a member of the advisory board of Fordham Law School's
Minority Mentorship Program, which is made up of active minority
graduates of the Fordham University School of Law, and includes
federal judges, businesspeople and law firm partners.
- He has served as the pro bono outside general counsel to Minds
Matter of NYC, Inc., a charity dedicated to bringing inner-city
high school students together with mentors to help them achieve
academic excellence, get into college preparatory programs and get
Prior and Present Employment
Prior to joining SNR Denton, Eli was a partner at Dickstein Shapiro LLP.