Participants in construction projects require timely advice from their legal counsel. You require a partner with a strong understanding of this dynamic industry. From high-rise office buildings to mass transit systems to energy facilities and major infrastructure projects, the lawyers at Dentons have the knowledge and experience to assist you.
In advising on construction documentation, our construction team is constantly drawn into design, engineering and construction program issues. Our team has a good understanding of project administration, risk management and the financing of construction projects. We also regularly act on operational and facilities management contracts.
Our construction team acts for a vast array of construction industry participants, including owners, developers, lenders, contractors and equipment suppliers. Whether you seek advice on the most advantageous procurement method, or in drafting and negotiating the construction documentation, we stand ready to listen to your needs and respond accordingly.
We resolve all types of construction disputes around the world. Together, we protect your interests in connection with a full range of construction issues in all forums, including courts of competent jurisdiction, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and other dispute resolution proceedings. We achieve success for our clients by implementing strategies that achieve their goals in the fastest, most effective and most cost-efficient manner possible.
At Dentons, building a legal framework that supports your project’s success is our passion.
More About Construction
- Site C Clean Energy Project: Counsel to BC Hydro with respect to finance, construction, procurement and commercial matters on the Site C Clean Energy Project, an 1100MW hydroelectric project near Fort St. John, British Columbia, with capital cost estimate of CA$8.335 billion.
- Birmingham City Council: Advising the mandated lead arrangers (MLA) of the Birmingham Highways Maintenance Private Finance Initiative Project. Birmingham City Council wanted to transfer the risk of upgrading, operating and maintaining its highway network. Amey Ventures Ltd. was appointed by the council to deliver this £2.8 billion project. Having previously advised the UK Highways Agency on 12 privately financed design/build/finance/operate road projects, including the M25 London orbital motorway, as well as private sector consortia and lenders on roads projects around the world, we were appointed to advise the MLAs on the project. We successfully advised them on a range of complex commercial, legal and financial structuring issues. The project was given the European PPP Deal of the Year 2010 award by Project Finance International, with our team being nominated for Infrastructure Journal's Transport category award. The project is now delivering an improved highway network in Birmingham and the certainty of a long-term maintenance program.
- Eko Rail Company Limited: Supporting its successful bid to operate the new rail system. This project involves substantial track and station fit-out works, operation and maintenance, rolling stock supply and project financing sourced from a range of international banks, equity investors, local banks, development finance institutions and export credit agencies (ECAs). This project shows the strength of the Firm's rail practice in Africa and other emerging markets, and synergies with its well-respected Project Finance practice.
- Emirates Steel Industries (ESI), PJSC and General Holding Corporation: Advising a subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi government’s General Holding Corporation (GHC), on project financing in relation to the $1 billion expansion of a steel plant in Abu Dhabi. The expansion will be financed from a mixture of export credit agencies, Islamic and conventional sources. Dentons is advising ESI and GHC on the project contracts and all aspects of the financing. Our Firm previously advised ESI and GHC on the financing of a $2 billion expansion undertaken in 2010.
- James Hardie Building Products: Assisting a construction materials manufacturer with various clean air environmental regulatory, enforcement and compliance issues in several US jurisdictions.
- Japanese metal supplier: Advising in structuring a China joint venture and in the subsequent withdrawal by one of its China subsidiaries from the joint venture. This deal allowed our client an efficient business structure in the region.
- Panattoni Germany Management GmbH: Advising on the development and lease of a 16,000 square meter logistics center located in Southern Germany. The development of the logistics property in the southern German city of Schwaebisch Gmuend has given Panattoni a successful entry into the German market. Our team regularly advises logistics real estate developer Panattoni on all aspects of real estate acquisitions and project development.
- Schaumann-Group: Advising on a joint venture with the Dutch project developer Kondor Wessels for the development of an exclusive construction project on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. The development includes more than 80 luxury apartments and an approximately 3,500 m² fitness and health area. The project is financed by the Dutch SNS Bank.
- Global manufacturer of gypsum: Assisting in a $60 million investment in a Middle East mineral company over the next two years to develop a gypsum quarry and to build and operate a new low cost wallboard/plasterboard plant in the Middle East region.
- Multinational aluminum producer: Structuring an equity joint venture with respect to the establishment of a $300 million Greenfield manufacturing facility in China, including drafting and negotiating the joint venture contract with Chinese partners, key supply contracts, an investment incentives agreement with the local government and a multi-currency term and revolving $235 million syndicated facility with major Chinese financial institutions.
April 11, 2014
May 13, 2013
Lexology has announced that six Dentons partners, from the firm’s Canada, Europe, UKMEA and US regions, are recipients of 2014 Client Choice Awards. Read more
Strategic Consultant, Jean Mongeau from Dentons Montreal office receiving a scroll from Geraldine Knatz, Executive Director of the Los Angeles Port Authority following his election as honorary member of the International Association of Ports and Harbors. Read more
July 6, 2015
June 9, 2015
Dentons Canada partners Claude Morency (Montreal) and Karen Martin (Vancouver) recently co-authored a chapter on construction and engineering law for the International Comparative Legal Guides, which provides current and practical comparative legal information on various practice areas. Read more
March 16, 2015
One consequence of this move was that loans granted by local banks to local customers in foreign currency became more expensive, because the Azerbaijani Manat was weakened by 25 percent. This raised a question of whether foreign currency denominated loans between Azerbaijani residents were even constitutional. Read more
Madrid’s Regional Government has recently announced the opening of the bid for the new City of Justice. The project foresees the construction and operation of a new town district in the outskirts of Madrid where all the courts of justice of the capital will be gathered. The City of Justice shall be built and operated by a single concession company under a PPP scheme.
View all insights for Construction
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
June 11, 2015
March 2, 2015
The 2015 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 24 Dentons practices and 75 lawyers. Read more
February 20, 2015
Dentons announced today that partner John R. Haug has been named the managing partner of its St. Louis office. Read more
On 16 February 2015 Dentons Kyiv associate Anzhelika Shtukaturova gave a lecture to the students of the International Institute of Business, a leading European business school in Ukraine, on the legal issues of real estate development in Ukraine. Read more
View all press releases for Construction