The media, entertainment and sports industries are evolving. The digital revolution, new technologies and new platforms—from the web to mobile and beyond—are constantly changing the way media, entertainment and sport content is created, distributed and consumed.
Change brings both new opportunities and new risks. Tastes and standards are local—but e-commerce, web and mobile distributions are global. This means that every new business model and product must not only appeal to a worldwide fan or customer base, but address a global web of legal issues, regulations and requirements.
Dentons leverages our global footprint and deep-sector expertise to help you mitigate risk and capitalize on evolving trends in the marketplace. Whether you are looking at acquiring, selling, distributing or financing film, television, music, publishing, digital media assets or a sports team, launching a television or Internet channel in China, the United States, Canada, the European Union or elsewhere, participating in a sports venue/real estate development, or litigating, arbitrating or mediating a copyright, trademark or licensing dispute, we can provide advice as to the local political, legal and business conditions that drive outcomes.
Look to Dentons' lawyers for effective solutions.
More About Media, Entertainment and Sports
- KG (US) Oilers Corp: Counsel to KG (US) Oilers Corp., an indirect subsidiary of the Edmonton-based Katz Group of Companies, in the acquisition of the Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL.
- Universal Media Studios International Limited: Advising in connection with the acquisition of a 49% interest in Lark Productions Inc., including obtaining a Ministerial opinion under the Investment Canada Act from Canadian Heritage.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on the acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ (NSN) microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million. The acquisition was a highly complex multijurisdictional transaction which, after an initial announcement in November 2011, was substantially renegotiated following the announcement of NSN's global restructuring in May 2012. The transaction was multidisciplinary and included the acquisition of intellectual property and other assets, outsourcing, equipment leasing, new strategic supply and R&D collaboration agreements between DragonWave and NSN, as well as the transfer of contract manufacturing and third-party supplier arrangements, establishment of new global subsidiaries including in Luxembourg, Italy and China, and tax and securities laws advice.
- England and Wales Cricket Board: Advising on a series of broadcasting agreements for both live matches and highlights with Sky TV for all live UK international and county cricket from 2014–17; Channel 5 for broadcast TV highlights coverage from 2014–17 and the BBC for a six-year radio rights deal for Test Match Special. Also advising on the sale of broadcast and new media rights in Asia (with ESPN Star Sports), Australia, North America, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Flurry, Inc.: Defending one of a number of defendants in a putative national class action in Quebec relating to iPhone and iPad apps and providing guidance with respect to communications with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.The putative class proceeding alleges the intentional interception of user's personally identifying information without the user's consent.
May 23, 2014
June 14, 2013
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
June 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
View all recognition for Media, Entertainment and Sports
November 13, 2014
September 15, 2014
The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has held that framing copyright protected videos is not a copyright infringement, even if the framing occurred without the permission of the copyright owner. In today's tech-savvy world, framing copyright content without the permission of the rights holder is a pervasive feature of internet use, and therefore the CJEU's response to the question of its legality has been highly anticipated.
July 22, 2014
Football fans' excitement as the long, dark 33 days without top class football finally ended with the start of the Premier League season on 16 August was muted by an announcement from the Premier League that it was going to "clamp down on fans posting unofficial videos of goals online". Read more
On 18 July, Ofcom published a consultation document proposing important changes to the TV advertising rules, including in particular as to the way in which programme length is measured for the purposes of determining the amount of permitted advertising. These changes are particularly relevant to broadcasters of children's programmes and reflect wider concerns that investment in such programming is falling and the advertising regime needs to be sensitive to such developments. Read more
View all insights for Media, Entertainment and Sports
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
November 17, 2014
April 29, 2014
Dentons' Sports and Media practice has advised OSN on its bid for the media rights for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to international cricket matches organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for the period 2015-2023. The deal covers 18 ICC tournaments, including two ICC Cricket World Cups, two ICC Champions Trophy tournaments and two ICC World Twenty20 tournaments. Read more
April 25, 2014
Dentons has advised its longstanding client the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on its partnership with News UK for the exploitation of its clips rights and News UK's role as "Official Media Partner of the ECB". Read more
Dentons announced today that David O. Blood has joined its Corporate practice as a partner in the Los Angeles office. He brings more than 15 years of experience negotiating corporate transactions, particularly where media, sports, technology and intellectual property are key assets. Read more
View all press releases for Media, Entertainment and Sports