The media, entertainment and sports industries are evolving. The digital revolution, new technologies and new platforms—from the web to mobile and beyond—are constantly changing the way media, entertainment and sport content is created, distributed and consumed.
Change brings both new opportunities and new risks. Tastes and standards are local—but e-commerce, web and mobile distributions are global. This means that every new business model and product must not only appeal to a worldwide fan or customer base, but address a global web of legal issues, regulations and requirements.
Dentons leverages our global footprint and deep-sector expertise to help you mitigate risk and capitalize on evolving trends in the marketplace. Whether you are looking at acquiring, selling, distributing or financing film, television, music, publishing, digital media assets or a sports team, launching a television or Internet channel in China, the United States, Canada, the European Union or elsewhere, participating in a sports venue/real estate development, or litigating, arbitrating or mediating a copyright, trademark or licensing dispute, we can provide advice as to the local political, legal and business conditions that drive outcomes.
Look to Dentons' lawyers for effective solutions.
More About Media, Entertainment and Sports
- KG (US) Oilers Corp: Counsel to KG (US) Oilers Corp., an indirect subsidiary of the Edmonton-based Katz Group of Companies, in the acquisition of the Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL.
- Universal Media Studios International Limited: Advising in connection with the acquisition of a 49% interest in Lark Productions Inc., including obtaining a Ministerial opinion under the Investment Canada Act from Canadian Heritage.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on the acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ (NSN) microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million. The acquisition was a highly complex multijurisdictional transaction which, after an initial announcement in November 2011, was substantially renegotiated following the announcement of NSN's global restructuring in May 2012. The transaction was multidisciplinary and included the acquisition of intellectual property and other assets, outsourcing, equipment leasing, new strategic supply and R&D collaboration agreements between DragonWave and NSN, as well as the transfer of contract manufacturing and third-party supplier arrangements, establishment of new global subsidiaries including in Luxembourg, Italy and China, and tax and securities laws advice.
- England and Wales Cricket Board: Advising on a series of broadcasting agreements for both live matches and highlights with Sky TV for all live UK international and county cricket from 2014–17; Channel 5 for broadcast TV highlights coverage from 2014–17 and the BBC for a six-year radio rights deal for Test Match Special. Also advising on the sale of broadcast and new media rights in Asia (with ESPN Star Sports), Australia, North America, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Flurry, Inc.: Defending one of a number of defendants in a putative national class action in Quebec relating to iPhone and iPad apps and providing guidance with respect to communications with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.The putative class proceeding alleges the intentional interception of user's personally identifying information without the user's consent.
May 22, 2015
April 6, 2015
The 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 101 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals. Read more
May 23, 2014
Nine of our women lawyers were highlighted across multiple categories in the "Leading Women Lawyers" edition of Leading Lawyer Magazine, a monthly publication that highlights top legal practitioners in Illinois. Read more
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
View all recognition for Media, Entertainment and Sports
July 3, 2015
June 5, 2015
On 26 March 2015, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) published a consultation paper titled "The balance of payments between television platforms and public service broadcasters – options for deregulation" (the Paper) evaluating the existing regulatory framework governing the relationship between public service broadcasters (PSBs) and distribution platforms. Read more
May 12, 2015
The rapid expansion of games, contests and
gambling on computers and mobile devices
has created distinct marketing, B2B, B2C and
investment opportunities, as well as challenges for
long-term management strategy. Read more
The UAE is constantly seeking new and innovative ways to encourage business growth across the Emirates. Film and TV production is one of the diverse range of areas in which the Emirate of Abu Dhabi has actively looked to encourage growth, addressing perceptions of high costs and lack of specialist services. Read more
View all insights for Media, Entertainment and Sports
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
June 3, 2015
March 19, 2015
Dentons has advised the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) on its recently announced Grand Midwest Sports Masters Champions League. Read more
February 5, 2015
The Association for Interactive Media and Entertainment (AIME) has appointed Dentons senior associate Alex Haffner to its Board of Directors. Read more
Dentons has advised First Data Corporation ("First Data"), a global leader in payment technology and service solutions, in successfully obtaining approval for its Binding Corporate Rules ("BCRs") for Data Processors regarding data privacy from European Data Protection regulators. Read more
View all press releases for Media, Entertainment and Sports