The media, entertainment and sports industries are evolving. The digital revolution, new technologies and new platforms—from the web to mobile and beyond—are constantly changing the way media, entertainment and sport content is created, distributed and consumed.
Change brings both new opportunities and new risks. Tastes and standards are local—but e-commerce, web and mobile distributions are global. This means that every new business model and product must not only appeal to a worldwide fan or customer base, but address a global web of legal issues, regulations and requirements.
Dentons leverages our global footprint and deep-sector expertise to help you mitigate risk and capitalize on evolving trends in the marketplace. Whether you are looking at acquiring, selling, distributing or financing film, television, music, publishing, digital media assets or a sports team, launching a television or Internet channel in China, the United States, Canada, the European Union or elsewhere, participating in a sports venue/real estate development, or litigating, arbitrating or mediating a copyright, trademark or licensing dispute, we can provide advice as to the local political, legal and business conditions that drive outcomes.
Look to Dentons' lawyers for effective solutions.
More About Media, Entertainment and Sports
- KG (US) Oilers Corp: Counsel to KG (US) Oilers Corp., an indirect subsidiary of the Edmonton-based Katz Group of Companies, in the acquisition of the Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL.
- Universal Media Studios International Limited: Advising in connection with the acquisition of a 49% interest in Lark Productions Inc., including obtaining a Ministerial opinion under the Investment Canada Act from Canadian Heritage.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on the acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ (NSN) microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million. The acquisition was a highly complex multijurisdictional transaction which, after an initial announcement in November 2011, was substantially renegotiated following the announcement of NSN's global restructuring in May 2012. The transaction was multidisciplinary and included the acquisition of intellectual property and other assets, outsourcing, equipment leasing, new strategic supply and R&D collaboration agreements between DragonWave and NSN, as well as the transfer of contract manufacturing and third-party supplier arrangements, establishment of new global subsidiaries including in Luxembourg, Italy and China, and tax and securities laws advice.
- England and Wales Cricket Board: Advising on a series of broadcasting agreements for both live matches and highlights with Sky TV for all live UK international and county cricket from 2014–17; Channel 5 for broadcast TV highlights coverage from 2014–17 and the BBC for a six-year radio rights deal for Test Match Special. Also advising on the sale of broadcast and new media rights in Asia (with ESPN Star Sports), Australia, North America, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Flurry, Inc.: Defending one of a number of defendants in a putative national class action in Quebec relating to iPhone and iPad apps and providing guidance with respect to communications with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.The putative class proceeding alleges the intentional interception of user's personally identifying information without the user's consent.
May 23, 2014
June 14, 2013
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
June 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
View all recognition for Media, Entertainment and Sports
March 18, 2015
February 26, 2015
In 2014 the ASA received (yet again) a record number of complaints. It attributed the record to an increase in:
- the use of social media as a platform for promoting business; and
- “copycat websites”, which replicate government websites in order to generate revenue from unsuspecting users.
November 13, 2014
The Ministry of Culture and National Heritage is working on amendments to the Polish Broadcasting Act. The bill prepared by the Ministry is currently subject to public consultations. Market players have a window of opportunity to make their voice heard and to affect the final wording of the bill. The deadline for the submission of opinions is 4th March 2015. Read more
The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has held that framing copyright protected videos is not a copyright infringement, even if the framing occurred without the permission of the copyright owner. In today's tech-savvy world, framing copyright content without the permission of the rights holder is a pervasive feature of internet use, and therefore the CJEU's response to the question of its legality has been highly anticipated.
View all insights for Media, Entertainment and Sports
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
March 19, 2015
February 5, 2015
The Association for Interactive Media and Entertainment (AIME) has appointed Dentons senior associate Alex Haffner to its Board of Directors. Read more
November 17, 2014
Dentons has advised First Data Corporation ("First Data"), a global leader in payment technology and service solutions, in successfully obtaining approval for its Binding Corporate Rules ("BCRs") for Data Processors regarding data privacy from European Data Protection regulators. Read more
Dentons' Sports and Media practice has advised OSN on its bid for the media rights for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to international cricket matches organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for the period 2015-2023. The deal covers 18 ICC tournaments, including two ICC Cricket World Cups, two ICC Champions Trophy tournaments and two ICC World Twenty20 tournaments. Read more
View all press releases for Media, Entertainment and Sports