To succeed in today’s highly competitive technology sector, you need a law firm with sector-specific legal expertise and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the key business issues driving change in the industry.
Dentons delivers on all fronts. Through our experiences advising a wide range of participants in the technology ecosystem from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers, we deliver creative solutions that stand out, help you achieve strategic objectives, minimize risk and deliver results that grow market share.
Partner with our multidisciplinary team of lawyers who specialize in corporate, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, licensing, privacy, intellectual property, capital markets, tax, litigation, employment, real estate and regulatory for cutting-edge counsel across the technology sector.
Other areas of expertise include transactions involving agricultural technologies, energy, oil sands, resource recovery technologies and many other specialized technologies.
Leveraging our strong bench strength in technology coupled with our global footprint uniquely positions us to provide you with timely, innovative solutions to your complex business and legal issues no matter where you are located or do business around the world. Let’s get started.
More About Technology
- Alberta Health Services: Advising on the negotiation of an Information Sharing Framework with a medical association, on behalf of participating physicians, which is the first Canadian information sharing agreement (and related information management agreement and information exchange protocol) of its kind. It involves the client and the participating physicians sharing health information as co-custodians using electronic medical record systems owned and/or operated by the client.
- BP Canada Energy Company: Advising in a transaction where Devon NEC Corporation (Devon) acquired a 50% interest in BP's Pike oil sands properties for consideration of $650 million. BP and Devon entered into a joint venture agreement for the development of those properties, which will be operated by Devon.
- Circulite: Representing this cardiovascular device company, in connection with a $30 Million Series D financing by Forbion Capital and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings.
- First Data: Advising a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing in relation to its Binding Corporate Rules for data privacy (BCRs). Our team of privacy lawyers enabled First Data to become only the eleventh company to obtain BCR approval from European Data Protection regulators. The BCRs will be implemented by First Data’s subsidiaries in more than 50 jurisdictions.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- MaRS Cleantech Fund GP Inc.: Advising on the formation of a new venture capital fund focused on the cleantech industry, as well as acting as counsel on the fund's investment transactions. The formation of this fund is important because it leverages the cleantech practice development program of MaRS Discovery District (MaRS). MaRS is Ontario's primary centre for technology commercialization and is one of Canada's leading innovators and participants in the development of Canada's next generation of growth companies.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI in 2012.
- Real Matters: Advising Real Matters, one of North America’s fastest growing technology companies in a $40 million common equity financing. Real Matters is a leading provider of property insight to the North American mortgage and property casualty (P&C) insurance industries.
- Sungevity: Advising this leading provider of home solar systems in a $125 million financing consisting of $40 million in venture financing led by Brightpath Capital Partners and retailer Lowe's and $85 million in project financing with Energy Capital Partners and a leading commercial bank.
- Teledyne Technologies: Conducting environmental and regulatory due diligence associated with Teledyne's acquisition of DALSA Corporation for $337 million. This involved review of all environmental matters relating to the design, development, manufacture and marketing of high performance digital imaging products and semiconductors.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
June 5, 2014
May 23, 2014
Two deals on which Dentons acted secured victory at the Marketing on Mobile Awards (the MOMAs) which took place at the Emirates Stadium in London on 21 May 2014. Read more
June 14, 2013
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
View all recognition for Technology
March 18, 2015
December 17, 2014
In 2014 the ASA received (yet again) a record number of complaints. It attributed the record to an increase in:
- the use of social media as a platform for promoting business; and
- “copycat websites”, which replicate government websites in order to generate revenue from unsuspecting users.
November 28, 2014
In September, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office released a report to Congress describing the progress (and underutilization) of virtual patent marking in the three years since it first became available under the America Invents Act. The report was directed to analyzing: (1) the effectiveness of “virtual marking” as an alternative to the physical marking of articles; (2) whether such virtual marking has limited or improved the ability of the general public to access information about patents; (3) the legal issues, if any, that arise from such virtual marking; and (4) the deficiencies, if any, of such virtual marking. Read more
Two important developments were announced today that affect how Canadian reporting issuers can raise capital from their existing security holders. Read more
View all insights for Technology
News and Events
New York, NYApril 23, 2015
San Diego, CAMay 3, 2015
Dentons, Silicon Valley Bank and Deloitte will host an exclusive annual Spring VC Luncheon at the world-renowned Eleven Madison Park. Read more
Dentons' Global Intellectual Property and Trademark group will host a cocktail reception to kick off the 2015 International Trademark Association’s 137th Annual Meeting. Read more
Recent Press Releases
February 5, 2015
November 16, 2014
Dentons has advised First Data Corporation ("First Data"), a global leader in payment technology and service solutions, in successfully obtaining approval for its Binding Corporate Rules ("BCRs") for Data Processors regarding data privacy from European Data Protection regulators. Read more
November 6, 2014
Dentons and Xona Partners welcomed a gathering of professionals from a variety of industries this week in Dubai to explore key market trends and legal issues surrounding the growing data centre and cloud computing market in the MENA region. Read more
Dentons has advised the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on the preparation and negotiation of its Maritime Support Delivery Framework (MSDF) Contracts. The contracts took effect on 1 October 2014. Read more
View all press releases for Technology