To succeed in today’s highly competitive technology sector, you need a law firm with sector-specific legal expertise and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the key business issues driving change in the industry.
Dentons delivers on all fronts. Through our experiences advising a wide range of participants in the technology ecosystem from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers, we deliver creative solutions that stand out, help you achieve strategic objectives, minimize risk and deliver results that grow market share.
Partner with our multidisciplinary team of lawyers who specialize in corporate, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, licensing, privacy, intellectual property, capital markets, tax, litigation, employment, real estate and regulatory for cutting-edge counsel across the technology sector.
Other areas of expertise include transactions involving agricultural technologies, energy, oil sands, resource recovery technologies and many other specialized technologies.
Leveraging our strong bench strength in technology coupled with our global footprint uniquely positions us to provide you with timely, innovative solutions to your complex business and legal issues no matter where you are located or do business around the world. Let’s get started.
More About Technology
- Alberta Health Services: Advising on the negotiation of an Information Sharing Framework with a medical association, on behalf of participating physicians, which is the first Canadian information sharing agreement (and related information management agreement and information exchange protocol) of its kind. It involves the client and the participating physicians sharing health information as co-custodians using electronic medical record systems owned and/or operated by the client.
- BP Canada Energy Company: Advising in a transaction where Devon NEC Corporation (Devon) acquired a 50% interest in BP's Pike oil sands properties for consideration of $650 million. BP and Devon entered into a joint venture agreement for the development of those properties, which will be operated by Devon.
- Circulite: Representing this cardiovascular device company in connection with a US$30 million Series D financing by Forbion Capital and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings.
- First Data: Advising a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing in relation to its Binding Corporate Rules for data privacy (BCRs). Our team of privacy lawyers enabled First Data to become only the eleventh company to obtain BCR approval from European Data Protection regulators. The BCRs will be implemented by First Data’s subsidiaries in more than 50 jurisdictions.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- MaRS Cleantech Fund: Advising on the formation of a new venture capital fund focused on the cleantech sector, as well as counsel on the fund's investment transactions.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI.
- Real Matters: Advising Real Matters, one of North America’s fastest growing technology companies in a CA$40 million common equity financing. Real Matters is a leading provider of property insight to the North American mortgage and property casualty (P&C) insurance industries.
- Sungevity: Advising this leading provider of home solar systems in a US$125 million financing consisting of US$40 million in venture financing led by Brightpath Capital Partners and retailer Lowe's and US$85 million in project financing with Energy Capital Partners and a leading commercial bank.
- Teledyne Technologies: Conducting environmental and regulatory due diligence associated with Teledyne's acquisition of DALSA Corporation for $337 million. This involved review of all environmental matters relating to the design, development, manufacture and marketing of high performance digital imaging products and semiconductors.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
June 11, 2015
May 22, 2015
The 2015 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 24 Dentons practices and 75 lawyers. Read more
April 27, 2015
The 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 101 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals. Read more
Dentons’ Middle East TMT team was again recognized for its regional strength in the TMT sector by being named 'TMT Legal Adviser of the Year' at the TMT Finance & Investment MENA 2015 Awards, held in Dubai last week. Read more
View all recognition for Technology
January 15, 2016
January 4, 2016
Our traditional overview of the most important changes that have occurred in 2015 in Russian IP, IT and mass communications law. The review includes the 10 key changes to legislation affecting companies connected with IT. Read more
December 30, 2015
As the US enters the 2016 presidential election year, the political and legislative turbulence will almost certainly accelerate.
In Dentons' US Policy Scan 2016, our annual analysis of the legislative and political landscape, and preview of the key political and filing dates for the year, the Dentons Public Policy and Regulation team takes a close look at the issues, questions and conflicts that will impact Washington, DC—and the entire country—in the year ahead. Read more
On 26 November 2015, amendments to the Law on Communications 2004 (the "Communications Law") were published. One of the amendments introduces national security certificate. From 1 January 2016, all RK communications service providers are obliged to pass the encrypted traffic with the application of the security certificate. Read more
View all insights for Technology
News and Events
Montréal, CanadaFebruary 17, 2016
February 19, 2016
Dentons is proud to welcome the Montreal Chapter of the Licensing Executives Society (USA & Canada) for a conference entitled "Cloud Computing Demystified". Read more
Join us February 19, 2016, for a live panel discussion about how innovation and technology are changing the practice of law. Learn how you can prepare yourself with the right skills needed to practice effectively and efficiently and meet the evolving expectations of clients and the legal community. Read more
Recent Press Releases
January 19, 2016
January 14, 2016
Global law firm Dentons has advised on the sale of the insolvent Berlin logistics company MyLorry GmbH, which under the trade name Food Express caters for restaurants and restaurant chains. The buyer, Takeaway.com Group, is one of the world's largest online food ordering platforms and operates Lieferando.de in Germany. Read more
January 4, 2016
On January, 13, 2016, Dentons had the pleasure of hosting an evening reception, bringing together over 90 guests including venture technology and emerging growth companies, investors and a team of Dentons lawyers. This exclusive event was a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the vibrant and growing venture technology community in Montréal. Read more
On 1 January 2016, Katharina Scheja joined Dentons in Frankfurt. Scheja, previously with Heymann & Partner, is a leading IT, Outsourcing and Intellectual Property lawyer. Read more
View all press releases for Technology