To succeed in today’s highly competitive technology sector, you need a law firm with sector-specific legal expertise and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the key business issues driving change in the industry.
Dentons delivers on all fronts. Through our experiences advising a wide range of participants in the technology ecosystem from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers, we deliver creative solutions that stand out, help you achieve strategic objectives, minimize risk and deliver results that grow market share.
Partner with our multidisciplinary team of lawyers who specialize in corporate, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, licensing, privacy, intellectual property, capital markets, tax, litigation, employment, real estate and regulatory for cutting-edge counsel across the technology sector.
Other areas of expertise include transactions involving agricultural technologies, energy, oil sands, resource recovery technologies and many other specialized technologies.
Leveraging our strong bench strength in technology coupled with our global footprint uniquely positions us to provide you with timely, innovative solutions to your complex business and legal issues no matter where you are located or do business around the world. Let’s get started.
More About Technology
- BP Canada Energy Company: Advising in a transaction where Devon NEC Corporation (Devon) acquired a 50% interest in BP's Pike oil sands properties for consideration of $650 million. BP and Devon entered into a joint venture agreement for the development of those properties, which will be operated by Devon.
- Circulite: Representing this cardiovascular device company, in connection with a $30 Million Series D financing by Forbion Capital and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings.
- First Data: Advising a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing in relation to its Binding Corporate Rules for data privacy (BCRs). Our team of privacy lawyers enabled First Data to become only the eleventh company to obtain BCR approval from European Data Protection regulators. The BCRs will be implemented by First Data’s subsidiaries in more than 50 jurisdictions.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- MaRS Cleantech Fund GP Inc.: Advising on the formation of a new venture capital fund focused on the cleantech industry, as well as acting as counsel on the fund's investment transactions. The formation of this fund is important because it leverages the cleantech practice development program of MaRS Discovery District (MaRS). MaRS is Ontario's primary centre for technology commercialization and is one of Canada's leading innovators and participants in the development of Canada's next generation of growth companies.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI in 2012.
- Alberta Health Services: Advising on the negotiation of an Information Sharing Framework with a medical association, on behalf of participating physicians, which is the first Canadian information sharing agreement (and related information management agreement and information exchange protocol) of its kind. It involves the client and the participating physicians sharing health information as co-custodians using electronic medical record systems owned and/or operated by the client.
- Sungevity: Advising this leading provider of home solar systems in a $125 million financing consisting of $40 million in venture financing led by Brightpath Capital Partners and retailer Lowe's and $85 million in project financing with Energy Capital Partners and a leading commercial bank.
- Teledyne Technologies: Conducting environmental and regulatory due diligence associated with Teledyne's acquisition of DALSA Corporation for $337 million. This involved review of all environmental matters relating to the design, development, manufacture and marketing of high performance digital imaging products and semiconductors.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
United StatesJune 14, 2013
United StatesJune 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
Media and EntertainmentJanuary 17, 2012
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
Todd Daubert, partner in SNR Denton's Telecommunications, Media and Technology sector, speaks with Rob Woodbridge of UNTETHER.tv at MEF Americas 2011: Mobile Content & Commerce. Read more
View all recognition for Technology
CommunicationsNovember 12, 2013
Dentons recently authored the UAE chapter of the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications Law Review (4th Edition), published by Law Business Research Ltd, which we hope you may find of interest. Read moreCompetition and AntitrustNovember 6, 2013
An ever-increasing proportion of documents and communications are created and stored electronically. To keep pace with this change and ensure that its procedures are appropriate and relevant in this changing landscape, the European Commission has introduced new working practices with an increased focus on electronic data and the use of forensic IT software. Read moreWarsawOctober 30, 2013
Dentons in Poland: 2012 Activity Report provides insight into our activities during the year. The items in the report illustrate our commitment to top quality service and describe how we navigated legal and business complexities to help our clients achieve their goals. Read more
View all insights for Technology
News and Events
Venture Technology and Emerging Growth CompaniesLas Vegas, NVJanuary 7, 2014
Dentons is pleased to host, along with SVB and NVCA, the annual VCs@CES reception taking place at TAO Asian Bistro, surrounding the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show. Read moreSan FranciscoSan Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2014
We are once again pleased to offer a full day of California MCLE-approved classes just in time to meet the California MCLE compliance period deadline of January 31, 2014. Read more
Recent Press Releases
CanadaNovember 19, 2013
“Dentons Canada LLP is extremely excited to announce our Dentons Canada Startup Program. We have acted for many of Canada’s leading startups. Our new program, and the appointment of Andre Garber as our first Director of the Startup Program, will further enhance the support we can provide to startups,” says David Little, Chair of Dentons Canada’s Venture Technology and Emerging Growth Companies practice group. Read moreBerlinSeptember 30, 2013
On September 27, 2013, the Dentons’ Berlin office hosted a roundtable with the head of Berlin’s Senate Chancellery Björn Böhning. About 40 guests from the media industry invited by “media.net berlinbrandenburg“ took part at the discussion on media policy, Berlin’s start-up scene and industrial and technology policy. Read moreVenture Technology and Emerging Growth CompaniesSeptember 6, 2013
The GROW Conference was created to help entrepreneurs build the next billion dollar company and as a returning Silver Sponsor, Dentons Canada played an integral role. The conference has been held annually in Vancouver for the past four years. The 2013 edition took place on August 14-16. Read more
View all press releases for Technology