To succeed in today’s highly competitive technology sector, you need a law firm with sector-specific legal expertise and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the key business issues driving change in the industry.
Dentons delivers on all fronts. Through our experiences advising a wide range of participants in the technology ecosystem from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers, we deliver creative solutions that stand out, help you achieve strategic objectives, minimize risk and deliver results that grow market share.
Partner with our multidisciplinary team of lawyers who specialize in corporate, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, licensing, privacy, intellectual property, capital markets, tax, litigation, employment, real estate and regulatory for cutting-edge counsel across the technology sector.
Other areas of expertise include transactions involving agricultural technologies, energy, oil sands, resource recovery technologies and many other specialized technologies.
Leveraging our strong bench strength in technology coupled with our global footprint uniquely positions us to provide you with timely, innovative solutions to your complex business and legal issues no matter where you are located or do business around the world. Let’s get started.
More About Technology
- Alberta Health Services: Advising on the negotiation of an Information Sharing Framework with a medical association, on behalf of participating physicians, which is the first Canadian information sharing agreement (and related information management agreement and information exchange protocol) of its kind. It involves the client and the participating physicians sharing health information as co-custodians using electronic medical record systems owned and/or operated by the client.
- BP Canada Energy Company: Advising in a transaction where Devon NEC Corporation (Devon) acquired a 50% interest in BP's Pike oil sands properties for consideration of $650 million. BP and Devon entered into a joint venture agreement for the development of those properties, which will be operated by Devon.
- Circulite: Representing this cardiovascular device company, in connection with a $30 Million Series D financing by Forbion Capital and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings.
- First Data: Advising a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing in relation to its Binding Corporate Rules for data privacy (BCRs). Our team of privacy lawyers enabled First Data to become only the eleventh company to obtain BCR approval from European Data Protection regulators. The BCRs will be implemented by First Data’s subsidiaries in more than 50 jurisdictions.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- MaRS Cleantech Fund GP Inc.: Advising on the formation of a new venture capital fund focused on the cleantech industry, as well as acting as counsel on the fund's investment transactions. The formation of this fund is important because it leverages the cleantech practice development program of MaRS Discovery District (MaRS). MaRS is Ontario's primary centre for technology commercialization and is one of Canada's leading innovators and participants in the development of Canada's next generation of growth companies.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI in 2012.
- Real Matters: Advising Real Matters, one of North America’s fastest growing technology companies in a $40 million common equity financing. Real Matters is a leading provider of property insight to the North American mortgage and property casualty (P&C) insurance industries.
- Sungevity: Advising this leading provider of home solar systems in a $125 million financing consisting of $40 million in venture financing led by Brightpath Capital Partners and retailer Lowe's and $85 million in project financing with Energy Capital Partners and a leading commercial bank.
- Teledyne Technologies: Conducting environmental and regulatory due diligence associated with Teledyne's acquisition of DALSA Corporation for $337 million. This involved review of all environmental matters relating to the design, development, manufacture and marketing of high performance digital imaging products and semiconductors.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
United StatesJune 14, 2013
United StatesJune 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read moreMedia and EntertainmentJanuary 17, 2012
Todd Daubert, partner in SNR Denton's Telecommunications, Media and Technology sector, speaks with Rob Woodbridge of UNTETHER.tv at MEF Americas 2011: Mobile Content & Commerce. Read more
View all recognition for Technology
Intellectual Property LitigationJanuary 8, 2014
In an economy driven by information, preserving and utilizing your intellectual property is key. Partner Rob McDonald and Associate C. Gideon Korrell present an overview of issues in Canadian intellectual property law. Learn how litigation is shaping the IP climate and how you can safeguard some of your most valuable rights and assets. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologyJanuary 8, 2014
How much control can employers exert over the use of social media? What rights do employees have when they take to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and the rest? Partner Sandra McCandless takes you through this evolving area of law and the balance to be struck between employee rights and employer responsibilities. Read morePrivacy and SecurityJanuary 8, 2014
The relationship between privacy and technology is one of the most pressing concerns of the early 21st century. Partners Andy Roth and Steven Velkei untangle the complicated web of laws governing privacy, data management, electronic security and more at the state, federal, international and self-regulatory levels. By examining recent developments in America's most populous state, Andy and Steven cast light on the public's growing concerns in this area—and what companies can do to protect themselves. Read more
View all insights for Technology
News and Events
Venture Technology and Emerging Growth CompaniesLondon, United KingdomMarch 18, 2014
Join Dentons’ Venture Technology group and BDO’s Technology Team as we take a look at the latest investment trends and break down how venture capitalists are making investing decisions in technology companies. Read moreVenture Technology and Emerging Growth CompaniesSan Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2014
Dentons' Venture Technology and Emerging Growth Companies Group will host a panel of experts in talent recruitment, business immigration legal issues, tech capital formation and executive leadership in an informative exchange on how to better plan for and manage your global talent requirements and deployment. Read more
Recent Press Releases
TechnologyMarch 6, 2014
Dentons has advised Virgin Atlantic Airways in relation to a five-year extension of its credit card partnering arrangement with MBNA. Through the deal, MBNA will continue as the issuer of the Virgin Atlantic branded "White" and "Black" credit cards which were developed for Virgin Atlantic customers as part of the airline's customer loyalty scheme. Customers who spend on these cards earn customer miles and other bonuses. Read moreRussiaFebruary 20, 2014
Global law firm Dentons advised the electricity and gas provider E.ON Connecting Energies (ECT), a new international unit of E.ON Group, on the acquisition of the Russian company Noginsky Teplovoy Center (NTZ) from AMG Industrial Investment Corporation. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologyFebruary 12, 2014
Dentons’ intellectual property, information technology, and telecommunications practice in Russia has added its fourth of counsel. Vladislav Arkhipov, one of St. Petersburg’s leading experts in this field, is now a member of the Dentons team. Read more
View all press releases for Technology