To succeed in today’s highly competitive technology sector, you need a law firm with sector-specific legal expertise and experience, as well as a deep understanding of the key business issues driving change in the industry.
Dentons delivers on all fronts. Through our experiences advising a wide range of participants in the technology ecosystem from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers, we deliver creative solutions that stand out, help you achieve strategic objectives, minimize risk and deliver results that grow market share.
Partner with our multidisciplinary team of lawyers who specialize in corporate, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, licensing, privacy, intellectual property, capital markets, tax, litigation, employment, real estate and regulatory for cutting-edge counsel across the technology sector.
Other areas of expertise include transactions involving agricultural technologies, energy, oil sands, resource recovery technologies and many other specialized technologies.
Leveraging our strong bench strength in technology coupled with our global footprint uniquely positions us to provide you with timely, innovative solutions to your complex business and legal issues no matter where you are located or do business around the world. Let’s get started.
More About Technology
- Alberta Health Services: Advising on the negotiation of an Information Sharing Framework with a medical association, on behalf of participating physicians, which is the first Canadian information sharing agreement (and related information management agreement and information exchange protocol) of its kind. It involves the client and the participating physicians sharing health information as co-custodians using electronic medical record systems owned and/or operated by the client.
- BP Canada Energy Company: Advising in a transaction where Devon NEC Corporation (Devon) acquired a 50% interest in BP's Pike oil sands properties for consideration of $650 million. BP and Devon entered into a joint venture agreement for the development of those properties, which will be operated by Devon.
- Circulite: Representing this cardiovascular device company, in connection with a $30 Million Series D financing by Forbion Capital and MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings.
- First Data: Advising a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing in relation to its Binding Corporate Rules for data privacy (BCRs). Our team of privacy lawyers enabled First Data to become only the eleventh company to obtain BCR approval from European Data Protection regulators. The BCRs will be implemented by First Data’s subsidiaries in more than 50 jurisdictions.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- MaRS Cleantech Fund GP Inc.: Advising on the formation of a new venture capital fund focused on the cleantech industry, as well as acting as counsel on the fund's investment transactions. The formation of this fund is important because it leverages the cleantech practice development program of MaRS Discovery District (MaRS). MaRS is Ontario's primary centre for technology commercialization and is one of Canada's leading innovators and participants in the development of Canada's next generation of growth companies.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI.
- Real Matters: Advising Real Matters, one of North America’s fastest growing technology companies in a $40 million common equity financing. Real Matters is a leading provider of property insight to the North American mortgage and property casualty (P&C) insurance industries.
- Sungevity: Advising this leading provider of home solar systems in a $125 million financing consisting of $40 million in venture financing led by Brightpath Capital Partners and retailer Lowe's and $85 million in project financing with Energy Capital Partners and a leading commercial bank.
- Teledyne Technologies: Conducting environmental and regulatory due diligence associated with Teledyne's acquisition of DALSA Corporation for $337 million. This involved review of all environmental matters relating to the design, development, manufacture and marketing of high performance digital imaging products and semiconductors.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
May 22, 2015
April 27, 2015
The 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 101 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals. Read more
June 5, 2014
Dentons’ Middle East TMT team was again recognized for its regional strength in the TMT sector by being named 'TMT Legal Adviser of the Year' at the TMT Finance & Investment MENA 2015 Awards, held in Dubai last week. Read more
Two deals on which Dentons acted secured victory at the Marketing on Mobile Awards (the MOMAs) which took place at the Emirates Stadium in London on 21 May 2014. Read more
View all recognition for Technology
August 24, 2015
July 30, 2015
Following calls for greater clarity in vlog advertising, the Committee of Advertising Practice has produced advertising rules to ensure that when a vlogger is paid to promote a product or service this is clearly conveyed in the vlog. Read more
July 29, 2015
In a decision which appears inconsistent with the decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) in Leno Merken , the Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court (IPEC) has found that use of a CTM in only one member state of the EU is insufficient to constitute genuine use. Read more
On 23 July 2015, the European Commission (the "Commission") sent a Statement of Objections to BSkyB and six major studios: Disney, NBC Universal, Paramount Pictures, Sony, Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros (the "Film Studios"). The Statement of Objections sets out concerns that the Film Studios' licensing agreements may breach competition law. Read more
View all insights for Technology
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
August 7, 2015
July 23, 2015
Dentons, the global law firm, today announced that NextLaw Labs, its collaborative innovation platform, has joined with IBM to create a technology platform program using IBM Cloud to enable startups to create and deploy legal applications more quickly. NextLaw Labs has also signed a deal with its first portfolio company, ROSS Intelligence Inc., a startup developing a legal advisor app powered by IBM Watson. Read more
July 9, 2015
Dentons has advised the logistics group China International Marine Containers (Group) Ltd. (CIMC) on the German legal aspects of the sale of a 40% stake in Albert Ziegler GmbH to China Fire Safety Enterprise Group, a Chinese manufacturer of firefighting equipment. Read more
Dentons announced today that Maria Sendra has joined its Corporate practice as a partner in Palo Alto. Read more
View all press releases for Technology