The financial services world has seen its fair share of upheaval. In this ever-changing industry, you need a partner with global reach and local know-how to navigate the financial services regulatory environment around the world and the expertise to design and execute the best lending transaction that meets your goals.
Dentons gets it—we understand the complexities of the sector and you get responsive, practical, on-the-ground advice on everything from simple, domestic lending transactions to the most complex, cross-border financings.
Tap into one of the largest and broadest banking and finance departments in the industry. Whether for acquisition finance, asset-based lending, aviation finance, corporate and commercial lending, syndicated financing, debt capital markets, equipment leasing and finance, media and entertainment financing, health care financing, hotel financing, Islamic finance, project finance, real estate finance, retail and consumer finance, ship and marine finance, tax credits, trade and commodity finance, venture technology or warehouse finance, you have access to a full range of specialized practice areas around the world.
And you shouldn’t just expect traditional banking and finance work. You can leverage our sector knowledge and understanding together with a full range of commercial legal services across related sectors like real estate, technology, media and telecoms, litigation and employment. Knowledge that can prove critical to the success of any financing.
More About Finance
- A Canadian bank: Advising, as administrative agent and a syndicate of lenders, with respect to a C$375 million cross-border financing for DirectCash Payments Inc., the leading provider of ATMs, debit terminals, prepaid phone cards and prepaid cash cards in Canada. The agreement included revolving and non-revolving loans (both with Australian Tranches), a non-revolving equity bridge loan and a non-revolving high yield bond bridge loan.
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its C$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- China Development Bank: Advising on a C$352 million credit facility to Canadian Royalties Inc., a subsidiary of Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co. Bank. The facility was drawn in tranches and is secured on the assets of Canadian Royalties Inc.
- Citi Trust Company Canada: Acting for Citi Trust Company Canada on Air Canada's US$714,534,000 Pass-Through Certificates Series 2013-1 - the first financing in Canada using Enhanced Equipment Trust Certificates (EETCs) under the Cape Town Convention enacted by Parliament (effective April 1, 2013).
- Royal Bank of Canada Natixis New York Branch: Advising on a C$252 million project financing by Le Plateau Wind Power LP (a wholly owned subsidiary of Invenergy Wind LLC) for the development, construction, ownership and operation of a 138.6 megawatt wind-power generation facility in the MRC d’Avignon, QC.
Islamic FinanceNovember 26, 2013
At the Global Islamic Economy Summit in Dubai today Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank (ADIB), which has fast become a pillar of Islamic banking in the UAE and the Middle East, honoured Dentons for its significant contribution to the Islamic banking sector. The only law firm recipient, Dentons was presented with its award by ADIB in appreciation of the firm's significant contribution to the development of Islamic Finance.
Read moreUnited StatesJune 14, 2013
Aviation FinanceJanuary 17, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
AirFinance Journal's 2012 Lawyers Survey ranked SNR Denton first in the Most Commercially Aware, Most Innovative, Deals Done Quickly, After-Deal Support and Fairest Fee categories. The Firm came in second for Best Overall Law Firm and Best Industry Knowledge. Read more
View all recognition for Finance
CrowdfundingDecember 5, 2013
The Ontario Securities Commission (“OSC”) recently released OSC Notice 45-712 – Progress Report on Review of Prospectus Exemptions to Facilitate Capital Raising (the “Progress Report”), which identifies four capital raising prospectus exemptions the OSC will consider with respect to further work: (i) crowdfunding; (ii) friends, family and business associates; (iii) offering memorandum, and (iv) exemption based on a reporting issuer’s continuous disclosure and existing security holder base. Read moreBanking and FinanceDecember 5, 2013
In the recent case of Torre Asset Funding Ltd & anr v. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc the High Court looked at the duties of a facility agent appointed on LMA "market standard" terms (LMA terms).
The case involved a multi-tiered complex financing, with interlocking finance documents. The judgment inevitably related to the complex facts. This article will not explore the background facts. Nonetheless, it is still possible to extract from the judgment three principles likely to apply to most agents appointed on LMA terms. Read moreBanking and FinanceDecember 5, 2013
English schemes of arrangement (Schemes) have become a useful and established procedure for restructuring the debts of foreign companies incurred under English law finance documents. For an overview of why they are useful and how they work, see our July 2011 article "Financial restructurings of foreign companies through English schemes of arrangement". But what, if anything, has changed since then? Rachel Anthony and Hayley Çapani explain the key recent developments. Read more
View all insights for Finance
News and Events
Mergers and AcquisitionsCalgary, CanadaJanuary 29-30, 2013
Join Dentons partners', George Antonopoulos, Bill Gilliland and Mike Hurst, at Insights's 2014 Advanced Edition - Major Business Agreements conference in Calgary, AB, January 29-30, 2013. Read more
Recent Press Releases
RussiaNovember 21, 2013
Alex Stolarsky, German Attorney-at-Law from Beiten Burkhardt’s Moscow office, has joined Dentons’ German Practice in Russia. Read moreIslamic FinanceOctober 24, 2013
Dentons has advised The Government of Ras Al Khaimah, acting through the Investment & Development Office, on its listing of RAK Capital's US$2 billion Trust Certificate Issuance Programme on NASDAQ Dubai, and the subsequent US$500 million sukuk issue under the Programme. Read moreTechnologyOctober 14, 2013
Dentons has advised Barclays Bank Plc on the roll-out of two additional payment solutions to its mobile payments app Barclays Pingit; 'buyit' and 'mobile checkout'. Read more
View all press releases for Finance