Companies around the world face increased enforcement of antitrust and competition law, including merger control. Managing this challenge requires experienced antitrust lawyers who both understand the issues affecting your businesses and have the legal expertise to create innovative solutions that steer clear of antitrust and competition problems.
With the team of dedicated Dentons antitrust lawyers from our offices in the US, Canada, Europe, Russia, CIS and the Caucasus, Turkey and China by your side, you are able to navigate antitrust and competition regimes with confidence. Whether representing you in complex litigation, responding to governmental investigation or action, or advising on complying with merger laws and regulations, we deliver tailored, effective and timely responses.
We leverage our deep knowledge of competition law and the enforcement landscape. With our experience in precedent-setting decisions and transactions, and our familiarity with regulatory processes, you can rely on us to deliver critical insights to protect your businesses. While concentrating on your business goals, we partner with you to manage complex competition investigations, merger proceedings and litigation. Together, we handle investigations by antitrust authorities, ensure merger clearance for acquisitions and joint ventures, and help minimize risks that commercial arrangements will face legal challenge.
You are able to protect your interests through industry-focused advice on current competition and antitrust rules. Whether they are assisting with the launch of global compliance programs or defending your businesses against alleged violations of antitrust laws, our lawyers advise you every step of the way.
More About Competition and Antitrust
- A worldwide manufacturer and supplier of pet nutrition products: Advising on re-organization of its distribution system in the Czech Republic, including advice in subsequent preliminary investigation by the Czech Competition Office of the client’s activities in the pet food market in the Czech Republic. Preliminary investigation was suspended without any negative consequences for the client. Since there is no significant case law relating to the use of bonus schemes in the distribution systems in the Czech Republic, this case provided a very important guidance for the client in relation to its conduct in the Czech pet food market.
- Aon Corporation: Acting as Canadian counsel in respect to its acquisition of Hewitt Associates Inc., the leading provider of human resources outsourcing and consulting, in a cash and stock deal valued at $4.9 billion. This combination strengthens AON's position as the preeminent global professional services firm focused on risk and people.
- BP Canada: Advising on the sale of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) business to Plains Midstream Canada ULC, a wholly owned subsidiary, for $1.67 billion. This is the most recent of several billion-dollar-plus transactions where Dentons has partnered with BP. The NGL business owns, operates and has contractual rights to a wide range of assets from both production and distribution functions, from extraction though to wholesale distribution of NGL products across Canada and in the Midwest United States.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising on its acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. for $4.9 billion. This deal was described as the most valuable deal of the 2011 first quarter in the global metals market in PwC's Q4 2011 report Forging Ahead and was credited by the Globe and Mailin January 2011 with helping to propel the Canadian dollar.
- Global manufacturer: Representing senior executives in federal grand jury criminal investigations relating to alleged price fixing and bid rigging conspiracies with other Japanese companies for the sale of wire harnesses, speedometers and other gauges in Japanese automobiles manufactured in the US. Our antitrust lawyers are also advising other companies who have received grand jury subpoenas from the US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, investigating alleged price fixing and bid rigging in the automobile parts industry.
- Monsanto Company: Working as lead trial counsel of a two-firm defense team in litigation that commenced in 2004, and included reputed class actions in 13 different corn- and soy-growing states. The class-action complaint asserted a wide-ranging, price-fixing conspiracy between defendants (relating to genetically modified soybean seed products, e.g., Roundup Ready soybeans), plus a range of patent and antitrust violations by Monsanto. We successfully opposed certification of a settlement class in 2009, and, shortly thereafter, a settlement was reached on an individual basis for an amount less than the plaintiffs’ out-of-pocket costs.
- One of the four largest steel companies in Russia: Advising on Russian antitrust investigation by the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) and litigation on abuse of a dominant position in one steel product market (monopolistic pricing). This is a landmark case, which aimed to create a showcase precedent for the new Russian FAS policy on pricing in the Russian steel sector.
- Plumbing fittings cartel: Advising a party to the cartel in the European Commission proceeding and subsequent appeal to the EU Courts.
- Sasol Petroleum International: Advising on the CA$1.05 billion acquisition of a 50 percent working interest in Talisman Energy Inc.’s (Talisman) Farrell Creek shale gas assets in the Montney Basin area of northeastern British Columbia, a subsequent transaction with Talisman for similar consideration of CA$1.05 billion, which expanded Sasol’s gas reserves in the area, with a view to the further development of a gas-to-liquids plant to be located in Canada and to serve the North American liquid fuels markets.
- Total, SA: Advised on obtaining clearance from the Office of Fair Trading for the sale of Total's entire downstream business, including both its UK retail fuel network and non-retail fuel distribution activities, to Rontec. We also advised on Rontec's subsequent sale of various parts of the business to trade buyers, such as the sale of portfolios of service stations. Clearance was achieved subject to undertakings to divest one service station.
- University of Chicago Medical Center and Trinity Health Corporation: Representing hospitals in separate antitrust class actions, filed in Chicago and Detroit, alleging conspiracy to suppress nurses’ wages. In the Chicago action, the district court judge held that the plaintiffs had not shown that common issues predominated over individual issues in the case. In reaching its decision, the court relied extensively on our client’s expert analysis to disprove the economic theory and econometric modeling offered in support of class certification. Plaintiffs did not appeal the ruling. In the Detroit matter, which is still pending, we represent Trinity Health Corporation.
- World leading energy company: Assisting the company and a number of its related entities located in the European Union (EU), in the EU anti-trust investigation on alleged abuse of dominance that included dawn raids in twelve EU Member States. This is by far the most high-profile and far-reaching EU antitrust investigation affecting both the EU natural gas markets and the Russian state-owned gas integrated company. It involves the first ever dawn raids on the company, a foreign public undertaking’s EU subsidiaries, and has obvious connections with the implementation of the EU Third Energy Liberalisation Package and EU external energy policy.
April 6, 2015
January 16, 2015
Nine of our women lawyers were highlighted across multiple categories in the "Leading Women Lawyers" edition of Leading Lawyer Magazine, a monthly publication that highlights top legal practitioners in Illinois. Read more
December 1, 2014
Dentons is delighted to announce that the Global Competition and Antitrust practice has been again recognized in several jurisdictions by the international publication Global Competition Review: A Guide to the World's Leading Competition Law and Economics Practices. Read more
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
View all recognition for Competition and Antitrust
October 7, 2015
September 25, 2015
In March 2013, the Department for Transport announced its new procurement programme for rail franchises. Since then, seven franchises have been awarded, including two by subsidiaries of Transport for London (TfL)
September 22, 2015
Promulgated on August 6, 2015, the law to promote growth, activity and equal economic opportunity, known as the “Macron law”, provides for a series of provisions aimed at redressing the balance in commercial relations, notably in the distribution and hotel industry sectors. Read more
Amendments to the FCA Handbook SUP 15 now mean that a regulated firm is now under the express obligation to notify the regulator if it "has or may have committed a significant infringement of any applicable competition law". Read more
View all insights for Competition and Antitrust
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
July 31, 2015
April 22, 2015
Dentons advised Rio Tinto in the sale of its subsidiary ECL, specializing in design and installation of equipment for primary aluminum production, to Fives, a French industrial engineering leader in the aluminum sector. Read more
March 12, 2015
Best Lawyers, the leading peer-review based directory of legal practitioners, has recognized six Dentons partners in Kyiv across ten practice areas in its 2015 edition. Read more
Eight Dentons partners in key practice areas have been named to Law360's advisory editorial boards in 2015. In confirmation of Dentons' increasing influence in the legal marketplace, twice as many partners were appointed this year as last. Read more
View all press releases for Competition and Antitrust