In the modern marketplace, intellectual property is more crucial than ever. Translate your creativity into concrete expressions alongside a partner who respects that your stakes aren't merely legal and economic—they're also personal.
Whether your innovation occupies the physical world, the intellectual sphere or the evolving digital realm, Dentons has the resources to secure and maximize the value of what you create. Navigate the complex terrain of global intellectual property law with assurance. Our lawyers unite a broad mix of legal and technical backgrounds into a team equipped to robustly defend artists and creators, public institutions and enterprises launched by venture capitalists, entrepreneurs and multinational corporations.
Choosing the right legal strategies and remedies to protect your investment in intellectual property demands extensive knowledge of different industries. We not only know copyright law; we pride ourselves on understanding your industry and your business.
Dentons' legal and technical expertise stems from our hands-on experience as external counsel—or as former in-house counsel—for organizations with a vital stake in copyright protected content and technology.
To provide you with seamless service on a local and international scale, we work closely with the firm's corporate technology, tax, public policy and litigation groups. We stay at the forefront of new developments in the law and in the industries we serve, particularly concerning the application of copyright law to changing technologies.
As a creator, user or supplier of original work, rely on Dentons to advise you on every aspect of the law relating to the creation, protection and exploitation of your valuable work, including:
- advising on the application of the rights and exceptions available under copyright legislation in different countries
- negotiating license agreements for copyright protected works, content and technology on all platforms
- registering copyright ownership and transactions
- monitoring and advising on ongoing copyright treaty and legislative reform, and the resulting practical implications
- representing you in copyright disputes, including cease and desist demands, infringement litigation, commercial arbitration and defense of third-party actions
- where copyright license rates and terms are set in tribunal proceedings, presenting legal and economic cases to reflect the true value of the copyright works in question, and advising on the application and implications of licenses set in such proceedings contracts for consulting services
- advising on breach of confidence actions involving employees and ex-employees
- advising on all aspects of outsourcing, including employee concerns, and preparing.
You have invested untold energy and passion into your original creations. Let us safeguard those creations with equal vigor.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- One of Canada's leading industry associations: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to reform Canada's copyright and intellectual property regime.
June 5, 2015
When can a video game include your brand without
your permission to sell clothes, or feature handbags
that copy your “real world” products? We will review
the Activision Call of Duty decision and other recent
decisions, as well as the interplay among the First
Amendment, the Lanham Act and the Copyright Act
to study this tricky situation and examine how you
can best protect your valuable brands. Read more
Please find attached the latest edition of Kazakhstan Business Updates.
The issue covers a variety of legal topics: from the recent amendments to legislation to improve the investment climate, the draft concept of the Code on Subsoil and Subsoil Use to the Eurasian Economic Union Treaty. Read more
Welcome to the November 2013 edition of Kazakhstan Business Updates, which provides helpful and practical guidance on recent legislative changes affecting investors' day-to-day operations in the country, as well as articles of interest on specific areas of law. Read more
View all insights for Copyright
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
October 3, 2012
SNR Denton announced today the appointment of partner Andy Lucas to its Technology Media and Telecoms (TMT) Group. Andy was previously at Field Fisher Waterhouse. Read more