In a climate of volatility, regulatory uncertainties and limited funding, M&A transactions can be complex. You need an ally who listens to your needs, and combines legal procedures with an innovative approach to close your deal quickly, efficiently and successfully.
Whether you are on the buy- or sell-side of a transaction, you benefit from a global team, an integrated platform of services and established relationships with investment banks, accounting firms and lenders. We know the players and regulators, and how to partner with you in structuring your transaction.
From a takeover bid—hostile or friendly—to a merger, de-merger or consolidation, we are on your side. A sector-focused model means we understand the nuances of your industry and are in sync with your business.
Whether for Fortune 500 and middle-market companies, private equity investors, bidders and targets, financiers and independent board committees—we get the deal done.
More About Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its CA$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on the acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ (NSN) microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million. The acquisition was a highly complex multijurisdictional transaction which, after an initial announcement in November 2011, was substantially renegotiated following the announcement of NSN's global restructuring in May 2012. The transaction was multidisciplinary and included the acquisition of intellectual property and other assets, outsourcing, equipment leasing, new strategic supply and R&D collaboration agreements between DragonWave and NSN, as well as the transfer of contract manufacturing and third-party supplier arrangements, establishment of new global subsidiaries including in Luxembourg, Italy and China, and tax and securities laws advice.
- EMI Group Ltd: Acting as US local counsel in connection with the sale of its worldwide music publishing operations to a consortium including Sony/ATV Music Publishing and the sale of its worldwide recorded music operations to Universal Music Group. The deal saw us advising, among other things, on the complex task of documenting numerous corporate transactions in order to separate the music publishing operations and recorded music operations from one another to make the successful separated sale possible.
- European Refreshments / The Coca-Cola Company: Representing European Refreshments, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company, on acquisition of Nidan Juices, the fourth largest juice producer in Russia, from Lion Capital, a UK-based private equity fund. This acquisition will strengthen the Company’s commitment to Russia and exemplify its continued investment.
- Groupe Canal+: Advising on a strategic investment in TVN, a leading private media group, listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. This involved: (i) €230 million equity investment in TVN Group and strategic partnership with ITI Group, a shareholder controlling TVN, and (ii) €1.5 billion merger of Canal+’s and TVN’s satellite TV digital platforms in Poland. Groupe Canal+ will pay a total cash consideration of around €230 million for a 40 percent minority stake in N-Vision, which indirectly owns a 51 percent majority stake in TVN, with an option to buy the rest of the stake over time. ITI Group will continue to own the remaining 60 percent controlling stake in N-Vision. The satellite TV platforms of Canal+ and N-Vision are to be merged to create a leading premium TV platform in Poland.
- Multinational oil company: Advising on the sale of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) business to Plains Mainstream Canada ULC, a wholly owned subsidiary, for $1.67 billion. This is the most recent of several billion-dollar-plus transactions where Dentons has partnered with the oil company. The NGL business owns, operates and has contractual rights to assets that run the gamut of production and distribution functions, from extraction though to wholesale distribution of NGL products across Canada and in the Midwest United States. Among the assets, for example, are approximately 4,000 kilometers of pipeline systems and a storage capacity of 21 million barrels of NGLs.
- MMG Limited, a subsidiary of Minmetals: Advising MMG on its role leading a consortium to acquire the Las Bambas copper project in Peru from GlencoreXstrata for US$5.85 billion.
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc.: Advising on a transaction where CE Franklin announced that it had entered into an arrangement agreement with wholly owned NoV subsidiary, NoV Distribution Services ULC (NDS), pursuant to which NDS has agreed to acquire all of the issued and outstanding common shares of CE Franklin for consideration of C$12.75 in cash per common share. The total consideration payable is approximately C$240 million.
- Nistica: Advising this venture-backed technology company that supplies wavelength selective switches to network equipment manufacturers, in connection with its acquisition by Fujikura, a Tokyo, Japan based global supplier of optical fibers and fiber-optic components.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI in 2012.
- Sahaviriya Steel Group PLC.: Advising on the $468 million purchase of a mothballed steel plant in the north of England by Sahaviriya Steel Industries (SSI). The deal involved a multi-practice team for the complex asset acquisition and financing of a steel production facility, Teesside Cast Products, from Tata Steel Group. This deal represented one of the largest manufacturing transactions in the UK and was shortlisted for the “Corporate Team of The Year” at the 2012 Legal Business Awards.
- SAP AG: Advising on its acquisition of Right Hemisphere, a 3-D virtualization software company, which will enable comprehensive visual communications for SAP customers across all lines of business, from design and manufacturing to sales and service.
- Sistema JSFC: Advising on $379 million sale of Sistema Telecom LLC, a non-operating subsidiary of Sistema JSFC, to OAO Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), the leading telecommunications operator in Russia. The acquisition included a 45 percent stake in TS-Retail, in which MTS already held a controlling 55 percent interest, and property rights in respect of a group of trademarks, including the egg trademarks of MTS, Comstar-UTS and Moscow City Telephone Network (MGTS). As part of the transaction, MTS assumed debt of approximately $59 million. The acquisition provided MTS full control of its logos and trademarks.
- Sony Computer Entertainment Corp: Representing in its acquisition of a number of consumer software entertainment product developers including Incognito Entertainment, Red Zone Interactive, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch Productions and Zipper Interactive.
- Total, SA: Advising on the acquisition of ExxonMobil's downstream assets in 14 African countries (Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea (Conakry), Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Togo, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
- Total, SA: Advising one of the world’s largest publicly-traded integrated oil and gas companies on the sale of its French solar energy subsidiary Tenesol S.A. to SunPower Corporation, a Silicon Valley-based manufacturer of high-efficiency solar cells, solar panels and solar systems.
- Vivendi: Advising a French provider of multinational communication and media entertainment services on the sale of its interest in Polska Telefonia Cyfrowa, a Polish leading telecoms company, and related settlement of the shareholders’ dispute.
December 1, 2014
June 14, 2013
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
June 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
View all recognition for Mergers and Acquisitions
January 15, 2015
Poland has enjoyed the highest economic growth in the region in recent years and it bucked the trend by being the only country in the European Union that did not go into recession during the last global economic crisis. Read more
November 10, 2014
Please find attached the latest edition of Kazakhstan Business Updates.
The issue covers a variety of legal topics: from the recent amendments to legislation to improve the investment climate, the draft concept of the Code on Subsoil and Subsoil Use to the Eurasian Economic Union Treaty. Read more
For most M&A transactions, one of the primary concerns for the buyer is understanding the risks and liabilities that it will be inheriting through the purchase of certain assets and/or shares and reflecting such risk in the purchase price. Read more
View all insights for Mergers and Acquisitions
News and Events
London, United KingdomFebruary 11, 2015
Have you contemplated a sale of your business? Are you aware of the sale process and how you can maximise the value of your business in advance so you will achieve the best possible return when the day comes? Here is your chance to learn more. Read more
Recent Press Releases
January 22, 2015
December 12, 2014
Alex Stolarsky has been appointed of counsel with the Moscow office of Dentons. Alex advises clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, as well as transactions, especially M&A, creation of joint ventures, and compliance. He represents clients at all phases of domestic and foreign investment in Russia, from market entry to expansion, restructuring, and exiting the market, as well as advising Russian investors in Germany and Austria. Read more
November 4, 2014
Dentons is pleased to announce the arrival of Partner Rainer Markfort and Counsel Christian Schefold who join the Firm’s Corporate practice in Berlin on 1 January 2015. Read more
Best Lawyers, the leading peer-review-based directory of legal practitioners, has recognized all Dentons’ Spanish partners in its 2015 edition: Juan Ignacio Alonso in Barcelona and Antonio Alcolea, Alejandro Alonso, José María Buxeda, Javier Lasa, Lourdes Pérez-Luque and Jesús Varela in Madrid. The Spanish offices have improved its presence in this ranking with four new partners to the list. Read more
View all press releases for Mergers and Acquisitions