In a climate of volatility, regulatory uncertainties and limited funding, M&A transactions can be complex. You need an ally who listens to your needs, and combines legal procedures with an innovative approach to close your deal quickly, efficiently and successfully.
Whether you are on the buy- or sell-side of a transaction, you benefit from a global team, an integrated platform of services and established relationships with investment banks, accounting firms and lenders. We know the players and regulators, and how to partner with you in structuring your transaction.
From a takeover bid—hostile or friendly—to a merger, de-merger or consolidation, we are on your side. A sector-focused model means we understand the nuances of your industry and are in sync with your business.
Whether for Fortune 500 and middle-market companies, private equity investors, bidders and targets, financiers and independent board committees—we get the deal done.
More About Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its CA$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on the acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ (NSN) microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million. The acquisition was a highly complex multijurisdictional transaction which, after an initial announcement in November 2011, was substantially renegotiated following the announcement of NSN's global restructuring in May 2012. The transaction was multidisciplinary and included the acquisition of intellectual property and other assets, outsourcing, equipment leasing, new strategic supply and R&D collaboration agreements between DragonWave and NSN, as well as the transfer of contract manufacturing and third-party supplier arrangements, establishment of new global subsidiaries including in Luxembourg, Italy and China, and tax and securities laws advice.
- EMI Group Ltd: Acting as US local counsel in connection with the sale of its worldwide music publishing operations to a consortium including Sony/ATV Music Publishing and the sale of its worldwide recorded music operations to Universal Music Group. The deal saw us advising, among other things, on the complex task of documenting numerous corporate transactions in order to separate the music publishing operations and recorded music operations from one another to make the successful separated sale possible.
- European Refreshments / The Coca-Cola Company: Representing European Refreshments, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company, on acquisition of Nidan Juices, the fourth largest juice producer in Russia, from Lion Capital, a UK-based private equity fund. This acquisition will strengthen the Company’s commitment to Russia and exemplify its continued investment.
- Groupe Canal+: Advising on a strategic investment in TVN, a leading private media group, listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. This involved: (i) €230 million equity investment in TVN Group and strategic partnership with ITI Group, a shareholder controlling TVN, and (ii) €1.5 billion merger of Canal+’s and TVN’s satellite TV digital platforms in Poland. Groupe Canal+ will pay a total cash consideration of around €230 million for a 40 percent minority stake in N-Vision, which indirectly owns a 51 percent majority stake in TVN, with an option to buy the rest of the stake over time. ITI Group will continue to own the remaining 60 percent controlling stake in N-Vision. The satellite TV platforms of Canal+ and N-Vision are to be merged to create a leading premium TV platform in Poland.
- Multinational oil company: Advising on the sale of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) business to Plains Mainstream Canada ULC, a wholly owned subsidiary, for $1.67 billion. This is the most recent of several billion-dollar-plus transactions where Dentons has partnered with the oil company. The NGL business owns, operates and has contractual rights to assets that run the gamut of production and distribution functions, from extraction though to wholesale distribution of NGL products across Canada and in the Midwest United States. Among the assets, for example, are approximately 4,000 kilometers of pipeline systems and a storage capacity of 21 million barrels of NGLs.
- MMG Limited, a subsidiary of Minmetals: Advising MMG on its role leading a consortium to acquire the Las Bambas copper project in Peru from GlencoreXstrata for US$5.85 billion.
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc.: Advising on a transaction where CE Franklin announced that it had entered into an arrangement agreement with wholly owned NoV subsidiary, NoV Distribution Services ULC (NDS), pursuant to which NDS has agreed to acquire all of the issued and outstanding common shares of CE Franklin for consideration of C$12.75 in cash per common share. The total consideration payable is approximately C$240 million.
- Nistica: Advising this venture-backed technology company that supplies wavelength selective switches to network equipment manufacturers, in connection with its acquisition by Fujikura, a Tokyo, Japan based global supplier of optical fibers and fiber-optic components.
- Nokia: Advising on the sale of Vertu, the global leader in luxury mobile phones, to Scandinavian private equity house EQT VI.
- Sahaviriya Steel Group PLC.: Advising on the $468 million purchase of a mothballed steel plant in the north of England by Sahaviriya Steel Industries (SSI). The deal involved a multi-practice team for the complex asset acquisition and financing of a steel production facility, Teesside Cast Products, from Tata Steel Group. This deal represented one of the largest manufacturing transactions in the UK and was shortlisted for the “Corporate Team of The Year” at the 2012 Legal Business Awards.
- SAP AG: Advising on its acquisition of Right Hemisphere, a 3-D virtualization software company, which will enable comprehensive visual communications for SAP customers across all lines of business, from design and manufacturing to sales and service.
- Sistema JSFC: Advising on $379 million sale of Sistema Telecom LLC, a non-operating subsidiary of Sistema JSFC, to OAO Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), the leading telecommunications operator in Russia. The acquisition included a 45 percent stake in TS-Retail, in which MTS already held a controlling 55 percent interest, and property rights in respect of a group of trademarks, including the egg trademarks of MTS, Comstar-UTS and Moscow City Telephone Network (MGTS). As part of the transaction, MTS assumed debt of approximately $59 million. The acquisition provided MTS full control of its logos and trademarks.
- Sony Computer Entertainment Corp: Representing in its acquisition of a number of consumer software entertainment product developers including Incognito Entertainment, Red Zone Interactive, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch Productions and Zipper Interactive.
- Total, SA: Advising on the acquisition of ExxonMobil's downstream assets in 14 African countries (Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea (Conakry), Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Togo, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
- Total, SA: Advising one of the world’s largest publicly-traded integrated oil and gas companies on the sale of its French solar energy subsidiary Tenesol S.A. to SunPower Corporation, a Silicon Valley-based manufacturer of high-efficiency solar cells, solar panels and solar systems.
- Vivendi: Advising a French provider of multinational communication and media entertainment services on the sale of its interest in Polska Telefonia Cyfrowa, a Polish leading telecoms company, and related settlement of the shareholders’ dispute.
May 22, 2015
December 1, 2014
The 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 101 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals. Read more
June 14, 2013
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
View all recognition for Mergers and Acquisitions
July 1, 2015
Dentons first released our M&A Quick Reference Guide in 2006 and it was most recently updated in 2012. The M&A Guide, which has received rave reviews, was the product of much thought and hard work by members of our Corporate Department, each of whom proudly refers to himself or herself as a "deal lawyer," and all of whom have worked on numerous M&A transactions over the years and around the globe. Read more
Welcome to the first edition of Dentons' UK Corporate Briefing, a quarterly summary of the most significant recent and forthcoming developments in company law and corporate finance regulation in the UK. Read more
Welcome to the second issue of the Dentons Private Equity Fund Manager’s Report. It is our intention to periodically provide our friends, clients and others interested in the world of private equity with practical information that can be used by fund managers in the course of their business activities. Read more
View all insights for Mergers and Acquisitions
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
June 26, 2015
June 11, 2015
Dentons Kyiv has been ranked a leading law firm in five categories in the latest edition of Ukrainian Law Firms 2015: A Handbook for Foreign Clients (“ULF”). The five practices that were named among the top five in Ukraine were: Agribusiness, Corporate/M&A, Energy and Natural Resources, Labor and Employment and Restructuring and Insolvency. Read more
April 28, 2015
The 2015 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 24 Dentons practices and 75 lawyers. Read more
Dentons announced today that Dr Christoph Papenheim has joined Dentons’ Frankfurt office, effective 1 May. Dr Papenheim joins from DLA Piper’s Frankfurt office and brings with him Counsel Sven Friedrich as well as an associate. Papenheim’s arrival will further bolster Dentons’ transactions business in the Private Equity and Life Sciences sectors in Frankfurt. Read more
View all press releases for Mergers and Acquisitions