Unprecedented policy and regulatory issues confront today’s global marketplace across all industry sectors. Legislation, government policies and new and changing regulations in a global economy increase business planning risks for you every day, across every sector. The shifting tension between private sector commerce and government oversight of private enterprise is a real threat no matter your geography or your business, and in this high-stakes arena, you require a coordinated approach to anticipate, translate and influence legislative and regulatory developments.
Dentons navigates the critical intersection of business, law, regulation, policy and politics. Using a results-oriented approach, we deliver innovative solutions tailored to your specific goals. By working together, you tackle every political or regulatory obstacle with a powerful ally by your side.
Position your business to spot trends and respond to shifting regulatory and legislative landscapes. From analytical planning and risk management, through communications strategy, to administrative and judicial intervention, we guide you every step of the way.
Drive your company forward using strategic and focused advice from government relations professionals who understand the political process. Through deep experience in both government and a variety of regulated industries, we view the issues through a balanced perspective. Our relationships with government officials, regulators and legislators allow us to see beyond the horizon. Leverage this insight to achieve your vision.
More About Public Policy and Regulation
- Canada's leading fixed satellite services operator: Advising on removing foreign ownership restrictions in the Canadian market.
- Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC): Advising the Saudi Arabian telecommunications regulator on a major program to reform the regulatory framework for communications in Saudi Arabia. The reforms focus on liberalizing measures, strengthening competition, introducing new operators (including MVNOs) and streamlining telecom licenses to promote service innovation and respond to convergence.
- Facebook: Representing in a variety of proactive educational and government relations initiatives involving issues such as privacy and child protection. We also advise the company in the development of its strategy relating to inquiries from state attorneys general offices.
- Financial institutions: Helping navigate the complexities of the US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”) and its rulemaking, examination and enforcement powers. We assist clients with preparation for CFPB examinations, counsel clients during CFPB examinations and help clients respond to the results of CFPB examinations, as well as represent clients regarding corrective actions, enforcement actions and litigation. We have prepared institutions impacted by the CFPB’s rulemakings, and analyzed the CFPB’s prospective powers to assist clients anticipate CFPB actions. Our Public Policy and Regulation team provided institutions with valuable political intelligence regarding possible CFPB actions and their impact on client activities.
- Global insurance company: Providing on an ongoing basis advice to the entire company market, as well as individual managing agents, underwriters, and companies, regarding the development and implementation of US federal healthcare legislation. The focus is on identifying which coverages are or may be subject to the provisions for the federal law, insofar as even inadvertently writing subject healthcare coverage can expose an insurer to guaranteed renewability, minimum loss ratios, and other long-term and potentially substantial financial impacts. By helping the market understand the federal laws and applicable exemptions, we are able to help the market provide the coverage their clients need without incurring obligations that were not contemplated or compensated.
- Bank Handlowy w Warszawie (Citibank): Negotiating a number of International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) Master Agreements and global master repurchase agreements (GMRAs) with over 20 European and US banks. Citibank subsidiary commissioned us with the whole negotiation process of the legal framework for concluding derivative and financial transactions on the inter-bank market with foreign, as well as domestic, banks. This documentation serves as the basis for operations of the treasury department of the bank.
- International bank: Advising in relation to the regulatory restrictions on offering banking products in Egypt including the legal framework, licensing requirements and applicable exemptions.
- Ipragaz: Advising on the current provisions of LPG, LNG and oil distribution regulatory framework in Turkey on a regular basis.
- Confidential Clients: Providing local and long distance carriers, Internet service providers, fixed and mobile wireless carriers, satellite operators, VoIP providers, and other telecommunications industry stakeholders with specialized telecommunications regulatory advice on the rules and regulations of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and Industry Canada.
- Major national insurer: Representing long-time client Allstate Insurance Companies, a Fortune 100 company, on a wide range of regulatory, public policy and legislative issues at the federal and state level. Dentons' legal and lobbying team has worked with lawyers and government affairs executives at Allstate’s headquarters on a multiyear flood insurance bill, teen driving safety legislation, medicare secondary payer legislation and enactment of a provision in Dodd-Frank to require the Federal Insurance Office to release a study on state-based insurance regulation in the United States. After these bills became law, Dentons' legal and regulatory team has worked with Administration officials and attorneys to achieve positive rulemaking for the company and its insurance agents. We continue to advise Allstate on pending issues and legislation including a national insurance backstop for catastrophic insurance, building code legislation, credit scoring, cybersecurity and privacy issues.
- One of Canada's leading industry associations: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to reform Canada's copyright and intellectual property regime.
- One of Canada's leading telecommunications providers: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to eliminate certain foreign investment restrictions in the Canadian telecommunications sector.
- Several clients: : Representing a number of US and non-US investment managers to determine their regulatory status under the US securities laws and related Securities and Exchange Commission rules to provide an assessment of their registration status and in-depth assistance with their related statutory filings and registrations and compliance materials when required. Our clients have included hedge funds, private equity, investment companies, family offices, venture fund advisers and Europe- and Asia-based advisers with clients in the United States. In addition, we have performed numerous analyses of capital pools to determine whether they are "private funds" subject to the ownership and sponsorship restrictions of the Volker Rule.
- World leading agricultural machinery group: Representing in a complex safeguards investigation of the Customs Union (CU) of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
- World-leading solar panel exporter: Representing the client in the EU anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations by the European Commission concerning imports of solar panels from China on dumping, subsidy and injury aspects. This was a very high-profile case, which attracted the attention of many major media sources.
January 3, 2011
Energy Partner Stuart A. Caplan (NY) commented on what energy legislation and regulations he was watching in 2011 to Law360's Joseph Marks (January 3, 2011 issue). Read more
October 2, 2015
September 29, 2015
For many years, at least some state insurance regulators have sought to place limitations on the sale of fixed indemnity medical insurance or "limited medical benefit" plans on the ground that they mislead consumers into thinking they are purchasing comprehensive health insurance when they are not. Insurers have countered that limited indemnity plans can provide valuable, low cost coverage alternatives, particularly for people who might not be able to afford comprehensive health insurance.
The passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in 2010 drastically altered this debate by requiring for the first time that every applicable person have "minimum essential coverage." 26 USC 5000(a) The so-called individual mandate means that anyone who does not have essential minimum coverage is subject to a pay a special tax assessment. Fixed indemnity plans do not qualify as minimum essential coverage under the ACA.
In 2014, the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued a rule requiring insurers, among other things, to limit the sale of fixed indemnity plans to people who have already purchased minimum essential coverage that is compliant with the ACA. See (the "2014 Rule") As of January 1, 2015, insurers who sold fixed indemnity plans faced fines of up to US$100 per day if they did not receive an attestation from each policyholder that they had purchased minimum essential coverage. Read more
September 24, 2015
Consumer product manufacturers will be able to post warranties online rather than include printed warranty terms on slips of paper on or within product packaging, under industry-backed legislation signed into law by President Obama on September 24, 2015. The E-Warranty Act of 2015 passed overwhelmingly in Congress and represents a significant modernization of the law governing warranty disclosures. Read more
On September 18, 2015, the US Department of Treasury and US Department of Commerce released significant revisions to the US embargo on Cuba, as set out in the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). These changes will loosen a number of trade sanctions currently in effect. Among other things, the revised regulations permit US businesses to establish operations in Cuba in certain circumstances, relax controls on travel and remittances to Cuba, authorize commercial and financial transactions with Cuban nationals outside of Cuba, and expand opportunities for US firms to provide telecommunications services to Cuba. The changes took effect on September 21, 2015. Read more
View all insights for Public Policy and Regulation
News and Events
Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2015
San Diego, CAOctober 22, 2015
Dentons invites you to our breakfast discussion, "Policy Implications of the 2016 Presidential Election." Our senior advisors, former Governor Howard Dean and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, will share observations on the policy and political changes that may emerge from next year's race for the White House. Read more
Dentons invites you to the University of San Diego for an evening discussion, "Policy Implications of the 2016 Presidential Election." Our senior advisors, former Governor Howard Dean and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, will share observations on the policy and political changes that may emerge from next year's race for the White House. Read more
Recent Press Releases
October 7, 2015
October 2, 2015
Dentons, the global law firm, today named Nicholas W. Allard as Senior Counsel in the Firm's Public Policy and Regulation practice. Read more
July 27, 2015
"Dentons congratulates Speaker Newt Gingrich, senior advisor to our global public policy and regulation team, on his return to Fox News," said Mike McNamara, US managing partner at Dentons. "We are fortunate to have Speaker Gingrich at the forefront of shaping public discourse on issues of importance to our global community. Our clients deeply value his perspectives and appreciate the unique insight he brings to these important conversations." Read more
Dentons named James H. Williams, previously the Manager of the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Integration Office, as a Principal in the Firm's Public Policy and Regulation Practice. Read more
View all press releases for Public Policy and Regulation