Unprecedented policy and regulatory issues confront today’s global marketplace across all industry sectors. Legislation, government policies and new and changing regulations in a global economy increase business planning risks for you every day, across every sector. The shifting tension between private sector commerce and government oversight of private enterprise is a real threat no matter your geography or your business, and in this high-stakes arena, you require a coordinated approach to anticipate, translate and influence legislative and regulatory developments.
Dentons navigates the critical intersection of business, law, regulation, policy and politics. Using a results-oriented approach, we deliver innovative solutions tailored to your specific goals. By working together, you tackle every political or regulatory obstacle with a powerful ally by your side.
Position your business to spot trends and respond to shifting regulatory and legislative landscapes. From analytical planning and risk management, through communications strategy, to administrative and judicial intervention, we guide you every step of the way.
Drive your company forward using strategic and focused advice from government relations professionals who understand the political process. Through deep experience in both government and a variety of regulated industries, we view the issues through a balanced perspective. Our relationships with government officials, regulators and legislators allow us to see beyond the horizon. Leverage this insight to achieve your vision.
More About Public Policy and Regulation
- Canada's leading fixed satellite services operator: Advising on removing foreign ownership restrictions in the Canadian market.
- Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC): Advising the Saudi Arabian telecommunications regulator on a major program to reform the regulatory framework for communications in Saudi Arabia. The reforms focus on liberalizing measures, strengthening competition, introducing new operators (including MVNOs) and streamlining telecom licenses to promote service innovation and respond to convergence.
- Facebook: Representing in a variety of proactive educational and government relations initiatives involving issues such as privacy and child protection. We also advise the company in the development of its strategy relating to inquiries from state attorneys general offices.
- Financial institutions: Helping navigate the complexities of the US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”) and its rulemaking, examination and enforcement powers. We assist clients with preparation for CFPB examinations, counsel clients during CFPB examinations and help clients respond to the results of CFPB examinations, as well as represent clients regarding corrective actions, enforcement actions and litigation. We have prepared institutions impacted by the CFPB’s rulemakings, and analyzed the CFPB’s prospective powers to assist clients anticipate CFPB actions. Our Public Policy and Regulation team provided institutions with valuable political intelligence regarding possible CFPB actions and their impact on client activities.
- Global insurance company: Providing on an ongoing basis advice to the entire company market, as well as individual managing agents, underwriters, and companies, regarding the development and implementation of US federal healthcare legislation. The focus is on identifying which coverages are or may be subject to the provisions for the federal law, insofar as even inadvertently writing subject healthcare coverage can expose an insurer to guaranteed renewability, minimum loss ratios, and other long-term and potentially substantial financial impacts. By helping the market understand the federal laws and applicable exemptions, we are able to help the market provide the coverage their clients need without incurring obligations that were not contemplated or compensated.
- Bank Handlowy w Warszawie (Citibank): Negotiating a number of International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) Master Agreements and global master repurchase agreements (GMRAs) with over 20 European and US banks. Citibank subsidiary commissioned us with the whole negotiation process of the legal framework for concluding derivative and financial transactions on the inter-bank market with foreign, as well as domestic, banks. This documentation serves as the basis for operations of the treasury department of the bank.
- International bank: Advising in relation to the regulatory restrictions on offering banking products in Egypt including the legal framework, licensing requirements and applicable exemptions.
- Ipragaz: Advising on the current provisions of LPG, LNG and oil distribution regulatory framework in Turkey on a regular basis.
- Confidential Clients: Providing local and long distance carriers, Internet service providers, fixed and mobile wireless carriers, satellite operators, VoIP providers, and other telecommunications industry stakeholders with specialized telecommunications regulatory advice on the rules and regulations of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and Industry Canada.
- Major national insurer: Representing long-time client Allstate Insurance Companies, a Fortune 100 company, on a wide range of regulatory, public policy and legislative issues at the federal and state level. Dentons' legal and lobbying team has worked with lawyers and government affairs executives at Allstate’s headquarters on a multiyear flood insurance bill, teen driving safety legislation, medicare secondary payer legislation and enactment of a provision in Dodd-Frank to require the Federal Insurance Office to release a study on state-based insurance regulation in the United States. After these bills became law, Dentons' legal and regulatory team has worked with Administration officials and attorneys to achieve positive rulemaking for the company and its insurance agents. We continue to advise Allstate on pending issues and legislation including a national insurance backstop for catastrophic insurance, building code legislation, credit scoring, cybersecurity and privacy issues.
- One of Canada's leading industry associations: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to reform Canada's copyright and intellectual property regime.
- One of Canada's leading telecommunications providers: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to eliminate certain foreign investment restrictions in the Canadian telecommunications sector.
- Several clients: : Representing a number of US and non-US investment managers to determine their regulatory status under the US securities laws and related Securities and Exchange Commission rules to provide an assessment of their registration status and in-depth assistance with their related statutory filings and registrations and compliance materials when required. Our clients have included hedge funds, private equity, investment companies, family offices, venture fund advisers and Europe- and Asia-based advisers with clients in the United States. In addition, we have performed numerous analyses of capital pools to determine whether they are "private funds" subject to the ownership and sponsorship restrictions of the Volker Rule.
- World leading agricultural machinery group: Representing in a complex safeguards investigation of the Customs Union (CU) of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
- World-leading solar panel exporter: Representing the client in the EU anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations by the European Commission concerning imports of solar panels from China on dumping, subsidy and injury aspects. This was a very high-profile case, which attracted the attention of many major media sources.
January 3, 2011
Energy Partner Stuart A. Caplan (NY) commented on what energy legislation and regulations he was watching in 2011 to Law360's Joseph Marks (January 3, 2011 issue). Read more
July 31, 2015
July 27, 2015
The US Senate and House of Representatives have taken significant steps in recent days to advance the first comprehensive energy legislation since the passage of Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Read more
July 17, 2015
Propelled by new technologies, policies and globalization, the US energy sector is changing like never before. Indeed, the global market for energy storage is likely to grow 33-fold over the next 10 years, and while state and federal policymakers continue to debate the future of distributed electricity generation, a liquidity crisis may emerge from the low oil and natural gas prices pushed by shale oil, deep water oil and oil sand production. Read more
On July 14, 2015, the "P5+1" working group (China, France, Germany, Russia, the UK and the US) reached an agreement with the Government of Iran to adopt the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (the "JCPOA"). This announcement capped a final 18-day marathon negotiating session, and comes after years of discussions among the parties about Iran's nuclear program. Read more
View all insights for Public Policy and Regulation
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
July 27, 2015
June 12, 2015
Dentons named James H. Williams, previously the Manager of the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Integration Office, as a Principal in the Firm's Public Policy and Regulation Practice. Read more
June 11, 2015
Dentons announced today that Jenifer Healy joined its Public Policy and Regulation practice as a senior managing director. Read more
The 2015 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 24 Dentons practices and 75 lawyers. Read more
View all press releases for Public Policy and Regulation