Navigating the maze of planning, zoning and land use approval processes anywhere in the world can result in significant delays and escalating costs which can spell the difference between success and failure for a development project. To succeed, you need experienced, practical legal advisors to provide you with the right strategic advice throughout every stage of the planning process.
From the initial due diligence to the acquisition of property and construction, Dentons has the experience, technical expertise and key governmental contacts to work collaboratively with you and your development consultants so you achieve your outcome in a timely, cost-efficient manner. We are active and successful development advocates, with extensive experience and knowledge gained from working with some of the largest global, national and local developers, landowners and institutions and from appearing before governmental and regulatory authorities dealing with zoning and land use issues. We understand how development systems are used to raise finance and pay for infrastructure, and how to use those factors to help you succeed in having your plans and projects approved. We leverage our thorough understanding of land use regulation and the project approval process as well as our knowledge of the key players to help you achieve your business goals.
Whether your development plans involve a multi-phased planned development, the subdivision of existing lands, approvals for new construction or rehabilitation, heritage or architectural landmark preservation, safety code compliance, environmental assessment, licensing or other development approval issues, Dentons can provide the expertise and advice you need to address your toughest challenges.
- Forewind Ltd: Advising Forewind in relation to the Dogger Bank offshore windfarms, on the onshore CPO elements; Dogger Bank is a Round 3 offshore windfarm.
- London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham: Advising the local planning authority on the proposed redevelopment of the Earls Court Exhibition Centre and surrounding area by Capital and Counties, for new homes and a mix of commercial, retail, hotel, leisure and cultural uses. We are also advising the Council as landowner on option and CPO issues, as well as procurement.
- Huntingdonshire District Council: Advising on a Community Infrastructure Levy examination and subsequent implementation.
- VSM (NCGM) Limited: Acting for the developers of New Covent Garden Market on the masterplan for a new modern market facility, with a residential led mixed-use regeneration scheme.
- Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd.: Continuing our role advising on everything from high level policy advice, strategic advice on new store developments and commercial initiatives to more routine section 106 and highways agreements.
- Westminster City Council: Advising Westminster Council on all planning matters (including environmental impact assessment) in connection with the planning application for the redevelopment of the Victoria Transport Interchange by Land Securities and leading on the subsequent compulsory purchase order for the remaining land required to deliver the scheme.
April 20, 2015
September 3, 2014
Viability continues to shape planning, but the debate is shifting from principles to wider issues of transparency and participation. As such, the Information Commissioner and the First-Tier Tribunal (FTT) have a key role in hearing appeals under the environmental information regime. Read more
September 3, 2014
A review of the recent 'special measures' case referred to the Secretary of State. Read more
A review of appeal decisions under a government regime that allows developers to challenge affordable housing obligations. Read more
View all insights for Development Zoning and Planning
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
November 17, 2014
July 7, 2014
Dentons has advised Wokingham Borough Council on the successful examination of its proposed Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). The Levy is anticipated to raise £177 million of funding for infrastructure to complement Wokingham's commitment to delivering 13,000 new homes by 2026. The Levy proposals reflect the challenges for adopting CIL on major strategic development sites. Read more
June 13, 2014
The High Court has upheld the decision of the Secretary of State to grant planning permission for a foodstore in Westminster. Read more
The Secretary of State has granted permission for the £50 million, 465,000 sq ft retail and leisure redevelopment of Rushden Lakes in Northampton. Dentons acted for LXB throughout the process, including the 12 day Call In Inquiry held last year in response to demands for the Government to step to a refuse permission by 3 local authorities and several institutional landowners.
View all press releases for Development Zoning and Planning