In the complex world of tax, our role is simple: to serve as an extension of your business. At Dentons, our value comes from seeing your business as you do and collaborating with you every step of the way. Together, we will develop and implement a plan based on your needs and aspirations—one that proactively identifies creative, integrated commercial tax-saving solutions.
When you engage Dentons for tax services, you’re getting an interdisciplinary team that understands how tax law meshes with other areas of the law—corporate, real estate and litigation, to name a few. You are drawing from a focused team with years of experience in your industry. It’s a cross-border, multijurisdictional group that seamlessly mixes local knowledge with the right resources in order for your business to stay nimble and robust.
Whether excise or extra-jurisdictional, taxes will always impact your business. As regulations and issues shift and evolve, Dentons will work with you to ensure you stay ahead—with your goals as our guide.
Dentons’ comprehensive tax services include experience in worldwide jurisdictions, as well as in matters relating to individuals and private companies, multinational companies, listed companies, blue-chips, partnerships and other transparent entities, tax-advantaged investing and more.
More About Tax
- Bridgewater Systems Corporation: Advising on its acquisition by Amdocs Limited for C$211 million. Amdocs is the market leader in customer experience systems innovation. Bridgewater is the leader in intelligent broadband controls and provides pre-integrated solutions for mobile and converged operators to transform their networks, optimize mobile data growth and innovate with new services.
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its CA$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- Global healthcare leader: Advising in respect to structuring a promotion arrangement with one of the largest Russian distributors of its products, development of respective contracts between the parties; various antitrust aspects of promotion and distribution of its products in Russia, including development of its commercial policy; clinical trial agreements; product registration; combined marketing and promotion of complimentary products produced by the client and a third party; exclusion of a product from the Register of Vital and Essential Drugs; use of personal data by medical representatives; due diligence criteria for a selection of distributors; and inaccurate and misleading marketing and promotional materials of a competing product.
- Grant Forest Products Inc.: Advising on the CCAA and US Bankruptcy Court approved acquisition of its oriented strand board facilities in Ontario and South Carolina, US by Georgia-Pacific LLC for $400 million. The process for the acquisition involved a series of court and regulatory approvals on both sides of the border, and included approval from both Canadian and US courts, the Canadian Competition Bureau, the US Federal Trade Commission and Investment Canada.
- Polish, Luxembourg and Dutch tax: Advising on the Polish, Luxembourgian and Dutch tax aspects of setting up investment funds to operate on the Polish real estate market. International tax structuring allowing for tax-efficient conversion of tax into the target structure and obtaining relevant tax rulings in Poland and the Netherlands. The advice on the transaction addressed tax, legal and business goals of the client, taking into consideration the old structure and potential future changes to applicable laws.
- Sasol Petroleum International: Advising on the C$1.05 billion acquisition of a 50 percent working interest in Talisman Energy Inc.’s (Talisman) Farrell Creek shale gas assets in the Montney Basin area of northeastern British Columbia, a subsequent transaction with Talisman for similar consideration of C$1.05 billion, which expanded Sasol’s gas reserves in the area, with a view to the further development of a gas-to-liquids plant to be located in Canada and to serve the North American liquid fuels markets.
- Spanish engineering consortium operating: Advising on a joint venture project related to the development of a nuclear power reactor located in France. Our tax teams in Spain and France advised the client on the tax treatment of the joint venture, on the establishment of a branch in France, and on the tax implications for the seconded employees. We successfully dealt with complex CIT liability, VAT, PIT, a double tax treaty between France and Spain, and sophisticated permanent establishment issues. We helped the client to reduce tax burdens by avoiding paying double taxation in France and Spain. We also helped the client organize the arrangements between the members of the consortium.
- Strategic Hotels & Resorts: Advising a real estate investment trust traded on the NYSE, and one of the largest owners and asset managers of the highest quality portfolio of luxury hotels and resorts in the world, on its $235 million acquisition and immediate resale of Champs-Elysées' Marriott Hotel and simultaneously on the tax audit which was initiated by the French tax authorities. Due to the audit and the fact that the tax authorities questioned most of the client’s tax transfers, there was a very high risk that the acquisition and resale would not go through; however, our tax team demonstrated its expertise and effectiveness by securing significant tax savings for the group and minimizing the risks arising from the audit. The transaction took place within a very short period of time, and the innovative cross-border tax structuring designed by our experts involved four jurisdictions.
- US Gold Corporation: Advising on its acquisition of Minera Andes Inc. by plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta) with a transaction value at the time of closing of approximately C$1.4 billion for the combined company, which was renamed McEwen Mining Inc. This transaction was highlighted as a “Big Deal” in LEXPERT's April 2012 issue.
- WestLB: Advising a major German bank on a spin-off transaction concerning a bank with €40 billion in assets and 400 employees and involving a €1 billion share capital increase half-contributed by a bank which we advised on tax and corporate structuring aspects. The spin-off will act as a service unit for the savings banks (Sparkassen) located in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. Hessische Landesbank will take over the shares in the spin-off. In order to fund the transaction, Hessische Landesbank went through an increase in share capital amounting to €1 billion. Part of the capital increase (€500 million) was contributed by Deutscher Sparkassen und Giroverband (DSGV), who we advised on the tax and corporate structuring of the transaction.
April 4, 2014
August 16, 2013
The Internal Revenue Service recently issued guidance on the timing of the deduction for annual bonuses for top executives of public companies, and, separately, issued regulations clarifying limitations on postponing income tax on compensation under tax code Section 83. These, together with litigation involving employment tax withholding have given rise to a renewed examination of employers' tax processes and plan language.
In this article, Dentons Pension, Benefits and Executive Compensation partner Pamela Baker addresses these developments affecting US executive compensation. Read more
June 14, 2013
The awards acknowledge the excellence of our tax group both collectively and individually. Read more
The 2013 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 15 Dentons practices and 42 lawyers, representing a more than 50 percent increase in total rankings in the past year. Recognition for the Firm includes "seamless extensions of clients’ teams;" "exemplary strategic and tactical leadership;" and "far above other firms, both in technical strengths and business experience." Read more
View all recognition for Tax
January 16, 2015
January 15, 2015
Among the large number of legislative and secondary acts recently adopted and to be adopted concerning taxation in the near future, particularly notable are documents intended to extend the capacity of state authorities to carry out tax controls and increase pressure on taxpayers to increase the state's tax receipts. Read more
January 13, 2015
Poland has enjoyed the highest economic growth in the region in recent years and it bucked the trend by being the only country in the European Union that did not go into recession during the last global economic crisis. Read more
Pursuant to the changes introduced to the Tax Code of Ukraine by the new Law of Ukraine No. 71-VIII dated 28 December 2014 which entered into force on 1 January 2015, new tax provisions with respect to immovable property tax have been implemented. Read more
View all insights for Tax
News and Events
London, United KingdomFebruary 11, 2015
Washington, March 18, 2015
Have you contemplated a sale of your business? Are you aware of the sale process and how you can maximise the value of your business in advance so you will achieve the best possible return when the day comes? Here is your chance to learn more. Read more
The 51st Annual Washington Nonprofit Legal and Tax Conference will be held on March 18–20, 2015. The conference is designed especially for directors, comptrollers, CFOs, CEOs, counsel and accountants of nonprofit organizations, including foundations, associations, philanthropic, government, cultural, religious, health, educational, social welfare, civic and fraternal organizations. Attorneys, accountants and others who provide critical services to these sectors will be present in force as well. Read more
Recent Press Releases
December 22, 2014
December 16, 2014
Global law firm Dentons has advised Gienanth GmbH on the sale to Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG) and the in-house DBAG Fund VI in the framework of a double-sided trusteeship. DBAG and DBAG Fund VI will hold 100 percent of Gienanth. Read more
November 28, 2014
Pravo.ru has released the annual law firms ratings. As in previous years Dentons has received high rankings in overall rating TOP-50 legal firms as well as in key practices ratings. Read more
Dentons Canada LLP congratulates Anne Calverley, Q.C., Partner in our Calgary office, on the publication of Introduction to Resource Taxation in Canada, co-authored with Brian R. Carr, Partner at KPMG Law LLP in Toronto. Read more
View all press releases for Tax