In the complex world of tax, our role is simple: to serve as an extension of your business. At Dentons, our value comes from seeing your business as you do and collaborating with you every step of the way. Together, we will develop and implement a plan based on your needs and aspirations—one that proactively identifies creative, integrated commercial tax-saving solutions.
When you engage Dentons for tax services, you’re getting an interdisciplinary team that understands how tax law meshes with other areas of the law—corporate, real estate and litigation, to name a few. You are drawing from a focused team with years of experience in your industry. It’s a cross-border, multijurisdictional group that seamlessly mixes local knowledge with the right resources in order for your business to stay nimble and robust.
Whether excise or extra-jurisdictional, taxes will always impact your business. As regulations and issues shift and evolve, Dentons will work with you to ensure you stay ahead—with your goals as our guide.
Dentons’ comprehensive tax services include experience in worldwide jurisdictions, as well as in matters relating to individuals and private companies, multinational companies, listed companies, blue-chips, partnerships and other transparent entities, tax-advantaged investing and more.
More About Tax
- Bridgewater Systems Corporation: Advising on its CA$211 million acquisition by Amdocs Limited by way of plan of arrangement.
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its CA$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- Global healthcare leader: Advising in respect to structuring a promotion arrangement with one of the largest Russian distributors of its products, development of respective contracts between the parties; various antitrust aspects of promotion and distribution of its products in Russia, including development of its commercial policy; clinical trial agreements; product registration; combined marketing and promotion of complimentary products produced by the client and a third party; exclusion of a product from the Register of Vital and Essential Drugs; use of personal data by medical representatives; due diligence criteria for a selection of distributors; and inaccurate and misleading marketing and promotional materials of a competing product.
- Grant Forest Products Inc.: Counseling on the CCAA and US Bankruptcy Court approved acquisition of its oriented strand board facilities in Ontario and South Carolina, US by Georgia-Pacific LLC for US$400 million.
- Polish, Luxembourg and Dutch tax: Advising on the Polish, Luxembourgian and Dutch tax aspects of setting up investment funds to operate on the Polish real estate market. International tax structuring allowing for tax-efficient conversion of tax into the target structure and obtaining relevant tax rulings in Poland and the Netherlands. The advice on the transaction addressed tax, legal and business goals of the client, taking into consideration the old structure and potential future changes to applicable laws.
- Sasol Petroleum International: Advising on the CA$1.05 billion acquisition of a 50 percent working interest in Talisman Energy Inc.’s (Talisman) Farrell Creek shale gas assets in the Montney Basin area of northeastern British Columbia, a subsequent transaction with Talisman for similar consideration of CA$1.05 billion, which expanded Sasol’s gas reserves in the area, with a view to the further development of a gas-to-liquids plant to be located in Canada and to serve the North American liquid fuels markets.
- Spanish engineering consortium operating: Advising on a joint venture project related to the development of a nuclear power reactor located in France. Our tax teams in Spain and France advised the client on the tax treatment of the joint venture, on the establishment of a branch in France, and on the tax implications for the seconded employees. We successfully dealt with complex CIT liability, VAT, PIT, a double tax treaty between France and Spain, and sophisticated permanent establishment issues. We helped the client to reduce tax burdens by avoiding paying double taxation in France and Spain. We also helped the client organize the arrangements between the members of the consortium.
- Strategic Hotels & Resorts: Advising a real estate investment trust traded on the NYSE, and one of the largest owners and asset managers of the highest quality portfolio of luxury hotels and resorts in the world, on its $235 million acquisition and immediate resale of Champs-Elysées' Marriott Hotel and simultaneously on the tax audit which was initiated by the French tax authorities. Due to the audit and the fact that the tax authorities questioned most of the client’s tax transfers, there was a very high risk that the acquisition and resale would not go through; however, our tax team demonstrated its expertise and effectiveness by securing significant tax savings for the group and minimizing the risks arising from the audit. The transaction took place within a very short period of time, and the innovative cross-border tax structuring designed by our experts involved four jurisdictions.
- US Gold Corporation: Advising on its acquisition of Minera Andes Inc. by plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta) with a transaction value at the time of closing of approximately CA$1.4 billion for the combined company, which was renamed McEwen Mining Inc. This transaction was highlighted as a “Big Deal” in LEXPERT's April 2012 issue.
- WestLB: Advising a major German bank on a spin-off transaction concerning a bank with €40 billion in assets and 400 employees and involving a €1 billion share capital increase half-contributed by a bank which we advised on tax and corporate structuring aspects. The spin-off will act as a service unit for the savings banks (Sparkassen) located in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. Hessische Landesbank will take over the shares in the spin-off. In order to fund the transaction, Hessische Landesbank went through an increase in share capital amounting to €1 billion. Part of the capital increase (€500 million) was contributed by Deutscher Sparkassen und Giroverband (DSGV), who we advised on the tax and corporate structuring of the transaction.
December 17, 2015
July 23, 2015
Dentons is proud to congratulate 16 of our Tax group lawyers, Neil Bass, Donald Bowman, Q.C., Cheryl Gibson, Q.C., Jehad Haymour, Carman McNary, Q.C., Joel Nitikman, Yves St Cyr, Jean-Luc Calisti, Sandra Hazan, Stephan Busch, Karina Furga-Dąbrowska, Delia Dragomir, Dzhangar Dzhalchinov, Kirill Roubalsky, Igor Davydenko and Viktoria Fomenko, who have been ranked recently as Tax Controversy Leaders 2015 by International Tax Review, a leading international tax publication. Read more
June 11, 2015
Dentons is proud to congratulate two of our Tax Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group partners, Neil Bass and Yves St-Cyr, who have recently been ranked as Indirect Tax Leaders 2015 by International Tax Review, a leading international tax publication. Read more
The 2015 edition of The Legal 500 US recognizes 24 Dentons practices and 75 lawyers. Read more
View all recognition for Tax
January 28, 2016
We are proud to present the next edition of our Tax Review which contains a selection of rulings and interpretations that were issued or published in November and December 2015. We hope that you will find in it information that may prove helpful in your everyday work. Read more
January 26, 2016
A recent Czech Supreme Administrative Court decision invoked the doctrine of abuse of law disallowing the tax deductibility of interest on a shareholder loan in an acquisition transaction. Read more
The Moscow Arbitration Court rendered the Decision of December 31, 2015 on case No. А40-153860/15. The case was essentially about the tax authority challenging the legality of a Russian taxpayer including license fee amounts payable to affiliated Russian entities for the use of their trademarks in expenses for profit tax purposes. Read more
View all insights for Tax
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
February 1, 2016
January 5, 2016
With the hire of 11 professionals, including two new partners, Dentons is continuing its rapid expansion in Milan by strengthening its Litigation and Arbitration group and establishing a new Tax practice. Partner Sara Biglieri will lead the Litigation and Arbitration group and Partner Andrea Fiorelli will be Head of Tax. Read more
December 17, 2015
The global law firm Dentons has advised Dr. Frank Steffel, owner of Steffel Holding GmbH & Co. KG, on the sale of his business activities to Brüder Schlau GmbH & Co. KG. Read more
Galina Dontsova has joined Dentons' Moscow office as a counsel in the Tax and Customs practice. Read more
View all press releases for Tax