Geoff is a senior associate in the Toronto Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. His commercial litigation practice includes contract disputes, real estate matters, product liability claims, franchise disputes, and insurance defence work. He also practices in the specialized areas of construction liens and estates litigation.
Geoff offers his clients a unique blend of strong advocacy skills combined with intensive and practical strategic communications experience. In addition to having conducted discoveries, mediations, pre-trial conferences and numerous other forms of advocacy in the course of carrying on an active litigation practice in which he has carriage over many matters, Geoff was the Progressive Conservative candidate for the riding of Mississauga South in the 2011 Ontario election. He has also served as a vetting committee member in the realm of construction lien litigation.
Having earned coverage in numerous media outlets, including Global Television, the National Post, the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Sun, CFRB 1010, TVO, OMNI Television, and the Mississauga News, Geoff has a wealth of experience in media relations. He has also appeared as a guest on TVO’s The Agenda with Steve Paikin, the Haze FM, and CFRA Ottawa.
Geoff was awarded a top oralist prize at the national Laskin Moot while attending Osgoode Hall Law School. In addition to numerous academic awards and distinctions, Geoff received the Chancellor’s Silver Medal in Arts for graduating second in his class from Trinity College at the University of Toronto, where he earned an Honours Bachelor of Arts (with High Distinction). Geoff also holds a Masters degree in Modern History from Oxford University.
An avid traveler, Geoff has travelled throughout India, China, Japan, Thailand, Europe, Canada, and the United States.
- Laskin Moot Third Place Oralist (2007)
- Trinity College Silver Medal in Arts (2003)
- "Supreme Court defers to restrictive covenants negotiated by commercial parties", International Law Office, November 5, 2013
- "Internet Usage May Lead to Dismissal", Legal Alert, August 2013
- "The Right to Arbitrate – Only as Solid as the Language Used: When is a Dispute "Commercial" under the
International Commercial Arbitration Act (Ontario)?", Journal d’Arbitrage et de Médiation Canadien, November 2009
- Co-Author, “Pre-Trial Considerations in the Context of Contested Applications to Pass Accounts.” Paper presented to Ontario Bar Association seminar entitled “Passing of Accounts: Getting Cost Effective Results,” November 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Albany Club
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Pro Bono Law Ontario Small Claims Court Duty Counsel Project
- Ran as the Ontario PC candidate for the riding of Mississauga South in the 2011 provincial election
- Extensive involvement in numerous provincial and federal election campaigns and riding associations