With deep roots in the heart of Canada's energy industry and Western business capital, the Calgary office of Dentons provides business-minded counsel in a wide range of areas, from initial investment, financing, and tax planning through project development, approvals, implementation, regulation, and disputes.
Our Calgary office has more than 100 lawyers at its disposal—that’s more than many of the country’s national law firms have in Western Canada.
Turn to Dentons Calgary for a wealth of experience in energy, financial services (including domestic and international investment), capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, insolvency and restructuring, litigation, arbitration, dispute resolution, tax planning, and tax litigation. Our trusted, experienced professionals will work with you to understand your business objectives and develop a strategic plan to best see them accomplished.
For more than a century, we’ve grown and diversified with the community around us. Leverage that experience and our global perspective to gain new insight on potential solutions to your toughest challenges.
- BP Canada: Advising on the sale of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) business to Plains Mainstream Canada ULC, a wholly owned subsidiary, for $1.67 billion. This is the most recent of several billion-dollar-plus transactions where Dentons has partnered with BP. The NGL business owns, operates and has contractual rights to a wide range of assets from both production and distribution functions, from extraction though to wholesale distribution of NGL products across Canada and in the Midwest United States.
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its CA$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline: Advising on all aspects of the proposed dual pipeline between Edmonton, AB, and Kitimat, BC, and the marine terminal at Kitimat. Counseling the client during environmental assessments and National Energy Board proceedings and providing advice with respect to negotiations with aboriginal groups and governments, shipping and navigation reviews, commercial structuring, finance and construction.
- EnCana Corporation: Counsel to dealers in connection with the establishment of EnCana Corporation’s $2 billion medium term note program (2011)
- HRT Participações em Petróleo S.A.: Advising on the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of UNX Energy Corp. (UNX) by way of plan of arrangement. Pursuant to the Arrangement, shareholders of UNX received common shares of HRT which were put on deposit with Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas in exchange for global depositary shares representing the HRT Shares. Each such Global Depositary Share represents a 1/100th interest in an underlying HRT Share and is held by the Depositary through a depositary receipt program. Under the Arrangement, 64,277,400 Global Depositary Shares were issued (representing 642,774 HRT Shares on deposit with the Depositary) to acquire all of the outstanding shares of UNX in a transaction that valued UNX at approximately $700 million. The Global Depositary Shares were listed on the TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV) at the opening of markets on April 29, 2011 under the symbol "HRP" and the UNX Shares have been voluntarily delisted from the TSXV. This is only the third listing of depositary shares in Canada and the first transaction where Canadian-listed depositary shares were issued as consideration. A global depositary share program presents an innovative and effective alternative for foreign companies seeking to invest and list in Canada.
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc.: Serving as counsel to subsidiary NOV Distribution Services ULC with respect to its $240 million acquisition of CE Franklin.
- Province of Alberta: Counsel to the Province of Alberta regarding the constitutionality of proposed federal legislation to create a single national securities regulatory system
July 24, 2015
July 13, 2014
Dentons’ Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy (RIB) practice was ranked No. 2 in The Deal's Top Bankruptcy Law Firms league table. Read more
December 9, 2013
Who’s Who Legal ranks Dentons as number #1 in Energy, with more than 30 lawyer listings from 13 of our offices across North America, Europe and Asia. We are proud to lead this ranking given Who’s Who Legal singled out 635 practitioners from 283 firms who are considered leading experts in energy law. Nominees are selected based upon comprehensive, independent survey work with both general counsel and private practice lawyers worldwide. Read more
Dentons Canada LLP congratulates our six lawyers named “Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers” by Lexpert, in their special edition on litigation appearing in The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine in December 2013. Read more
View all recognition for Calgary
January 20, 2014
December 5, 2013
On January 2, 2014, Alberta Securities Commission (“ASC”) staff published Staff Notice 91-704 Over-the-Counter Derivatives Transactions (“ASC Staff Notice 91-704”) summarizing the current regulatory framework governing over-the-counter (“OTC”) derivatives trades in Alberta. Read more
October 2, 2013
This webinar provided updates on cross-border tax structuring for the United States and Canada. Register to watch an archived copy of the webcast, send in your questions to our Western European tax team, and participate in polling sessions on these topics. Read more
On August 16, 2013 the Government of Alberta (“Alberta”) issued a Policy on Consultation with First Nations on Land and Natural Resource Management, 2013 (the “New Policy”). This New Policy will replace the existing policy issued in 2005 (the “Existing Policy”). One of the most significant changes in the New Policy is the establishment of an Alberta Aboriginal consultation office. Read more
View all insights for Calgary
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
June 29, 2015
June 28, 2015
Dentons Canada LLP (Dentons) is pleased to announce that 112 of the Firm’s Canada-based lawyers are ranked as leading lawyers in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015 (19th Edition). Dentons’ 2015 Lexpert rankings include lawyers from all six of the global firm’s Canadian offices in an impressive range of areas of expertise. Read more
May 6, 2015
Dentons is pleased to announce that, for the first time, the Firm has been named one of Canada’s Top LGBT-Inclusive Employers. Only 10 employers are included in this list each year and Dentons earned a position in the top five, based on our scores from a survey with which the LGBT Inclusion Index is compiled. Read more
Dentons is pleased to announce the promotion of 48 new partners worldwide for 2015. This roster of partner promotions spans 22 offices and an impressive range of practice and sector groups across Canada, Europe, the United Kingdom, Middle East and Africa (UKMEA), and the United States. Read more
View all press releases for Calgary