Located in Canada’s capital city, the Ottawa office of Dentons offers particular strengths in:
- Regulatory matters
- Public policy
- Venture technology
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Real estate
- Intellectual property
- Employment law
In addition, our lawyers and other professionals in the Ottawa office benefit from access to the depth and breadth of other Dentons offices throughout the world.
When navigating complex regulatory matters, including competition and antitrust, communications, and food and drug laws, you need a partner who will provide you with astute counsel. Look to the lawyers in Dentons’ Ottawa office to handle these and other matters with a collaborative approach that keeps you in the driver’s seat.
Leverage our formidable strengths in managing corporate and commercial transactions, including securities and corporate finance matters. With a deep focus in the technology and private equity and venture capital industries, our lawyers understand the unique nuances of these matters and provide keen advice for your business. Likewise, our Public Policy practice will give you insightful government relations counsel. Through an integrated approach, lawyers throughout Dentons’ practice areas unite to deliver coordinated, comprehensive legal services to you.
Whether you seek advice in employment and labor, intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, real estate or lending services, turn to the lawyers at Dentons and expect excellence.
- Blumberg Capital: Advising on its secondary sale of shares in social relationship platform provider Hootsuite as part of Hootsuite’s CA$165 million Series B financing round led by Insight Venture Partners, with participation by Accel Partners and existing investor, OMERS Ventures. This transaction is recognized as one of the largest rounds of global venture capital financing, and the largest deal ever in Canadian venture capital history for a software company.
- Cityzen Developments and its affiliate Dominus Construction: Counsel to the successful proponents in respect of the City of Brampton’s P3 “Southwest Quadrant Development” core area expansion project including the establishment of the related credit facilities extended by Bank of Montreal and Bank of Montreal Capital Markets.
- Clients that are involved in mergers, acquisitions, financings and takeovers: Providing comprehensive and strategic advice in the telecommunications, broadcasting and radiocommunication industry sectors.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on its acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million.
- Leading venture capital transactions: Advising on numerous venture capital transactions and acting for investors including Celtic House Venture Partners, BDC Venture Capital, VentureLink Funds, iNovia Capital, Tech Capital, and Battery Ventures. In recent years, we have acted on many of the most innovative and leading venture backed financing transactions in Canada. Our team’s extensive network within the venture capital community allows us to introduce emerging companies to sources of capital.
- Morguard Investments Limited: Advising on its $143.4 million sale of Centennial Towers, a government-occupied office tower in downtown Ottawa, to The Great-West Life Assurance Company, the largest single asset building sale of the year 2013 in Ottawa.
- One of Canada’s leading telecommunications providers: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to eliminate certain foreign investment restrictions in the Canadian telecommunications sector.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Patheon Inc. (TSX: PT): Canadian counsel to this leading provider of contract development and manufacturing services to the global pharmaceutical industry in connection with its US$2.6 billion going private transaction by way of plan of arrangement, and business combination with DSM’s pharmaceutical products business.
- Procurement and construction litigation: Representing one of Canada’s largest construction companies in a number of construction related litigation matters including deficiency and delay claims, and procurement matters.
- Protection of trade secrets and confidential information: Acting for clients in relation to the protection of confidential and commercially sensitive information. Currently acting as defence counsel to a global hi-tech company in respect of a $60 million claim for misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Public Law litigation: Acting for clients involved in judicial review applications challenging decisions made by government bodies. We are also part of a strong national practice responding to or initiating leave to appeal applications on matters of national importance before the Supreme Court of Canada, and attending on many Supreme Court of Canada cases where leave has been granted.
- Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund I Limited Partnership and Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.: Advising in respect of the $60 million credit facility to finance the construction of a 10 MW hydroelectric project to be located on the French River in the district of Parry Sound, Ontario. The project is situated on federal Crown lands subject to the Dominion Water Power Act, reserve lands subject to the Indian Act and provincial Crown lands subject to the Public Lands Act and the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act.
- ViXS Systems Inc.: Advising the principal shareholders of this world leading designer of semiconductor chips for high growth segments of the multimedia industry in connection with its CA$57.4 million going-public financing. This is a landmark offering in the Canadian capital markets as ViXS will become the only publicly traded semiconductor company on the TSX and the first to go public in over a decade. We also advised the principal shareholders on ViXS’ previous financing transactions from 2000 to 2013.
- Wireless carriers and radiocom equipment manufacturers: Providing strategic advice on the licensing and equipment certification rules that apply to virtually every single commercial wireless radio spectrum band, including the terrestrial mobile wireless bands (cellular, PCS, AWS, 2500 MHz, 700 MHz), fixed wireless bands (WCS, FWA, LMCS/LMDS, 24 GHz, 38 GHz microwave and backhaul spectrum), satellite service bands (FSS, MSS and BSS) and unlicensed radio spectrum bands (2.4 GHz, 5.3 GHz, white spaces spectrum).
Vox Tax: Cross border exchange of information proceduresDecember 5, 2013
This webinar provided updates on cross-border tax structuring for the United States and Canada. Register to watch an archived copy of the webcast, send in your questions to our Western European tax team, and participate in polling sessions on these topics. Read moreNonprofit EntitiesOctober 17, 2013
As we explained in our article of March 2013, the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act 2010 (“ONCA” or the “Act”) is intended to provide a more comprehensive set of rules for Ontario not-for-profit corporations, and to bring more transparency and accountability to their operations, to members, and, in certain cases, to the public. The ONCA will replace Part III of the Ontario Corporations Act (“OCA”), which was last substantively amended in 1953. Read morePublic Policy and RegulationFebruary 19, 2013
On Tuesday, February 19th, 2013, the Honourable David Onley, Ontario's Lieutenant Governor, delivered the Wynne government’s Speech from the Throne in the Ontario legislature. Read more
View all insights for Ottawa
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
OttawaJuly 22, 2014
Congratulations to University of Ottawa law students Chris Kreutzner and Tanner Oscapella, who have placed 8th out of 18 teams at the International Negotiation Competition held in Pohang, South Korea. The competition simulates legal negotiations in which law students, acting as lawyers, negotiate a series of legal problems such as contract disputes, settlement offers and transactional issues. As the top ranked Canadian team, Chris and Tanner proudly represented Canada in the competition against other teams from around the world. Read moreCanadaFebruary 10, 2014
Dentons Canada is pleased to announce that the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien, P.C., C.C., O.M., Q.C., Ad. E., has joined our firm as Counsel. Read moreOttawaOctober 1, 2013
Dentons Canada LLP is pleased to announce that two new lawyers have joined their Ottawa office. Peter Burn is counsel in the Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs group, and Marc Doucet is a partner in the Construction group. Read more
View all press releases for Ottawa