Located in Canada’s capital city, the Ottawa office of Dentons offers particular strengths in:
- Regulatory matters
- Public policy
- Venture technology
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Real estate
- Intellectual property
- Employment law
In addition, our lawyers and other professionals in the Ottawa office benefit from access to the depth and breadth of other Dentons offices throughout the world.
When navigating complex regulatory matters, including competition and antitrust, communications, and food and drug laws, you need a partner who will provide you with astute counsel. Look to the lawyers in Dentons’ Ottawa office to handle these and other matters with a collaborative approach that keeps you in the driver’s seat.
Leverage our formidable strengths in managing corporate and commercial transactions, including securities and corporate finance matters. With a deep focus in the technology and private equity and venture capital industries, our lawyers understand the unique nuances of these matters and provide keen advice for your business. Likewise, our Public Policy practice will give you insightful government relations counsel. Through an integrated approach, lawyers throughout Dentons’ practice areas unite to deliver coordinated, comprehensive legal services to you.
Whether you seek advice in employment and labor, intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, real estate or lending services, turn to the lawyers at Dentons and expect excellence.
- Blumberg Capital: Advising on its secondary sale of shares in social relationship platform provider Hootsuite as part of Hootsuite’s CA$165 million Series B financing round led by Insight Venture Partners, with participation by Accel Partners and existing investor, OMERS Ventures. This transaction is recognized as one of the largest rounds of global venture capital financing, and the largest deal ever in Canadian venture capital history for a software company.
- Cityzen Developments and its affiliate Dominus Construction: Counsel to the successful proponents in respect of the City of Brampton’s P3 “Southwest Quadrant Development” core area expansion project including the establishment of the related credit facilities extended by Bank of Montreal and Bank of Montreal Capital Markets.
- Clients that are involved in mergers, acquisitions, financings and takeovers: Providing comprehensive and strategic advice in the telecommunications, broadcasting and radiocommunication industry sectors.
- DragonWave Inc.: Advising on its acquisition of Nokia Siemens Networks’ microwave transport business, including its associated operational support system and related support functions, and new credit facilities from Comerica Bank and EDC to support the acquisition and working capital requirements in the amount of up to US$60 million.
- Leading venture capital transactions: Advising on numerous venture capital transactions and acting for investors including Celtic House Venture Partners, BDC Venture Capital, VentureLink Funds, iNovia Capital, Tech Capital, and Battery Ventures. In recent years, we have acted on many of the most innovative and leading venture backed financing transactions in Canada. Our team’s extensive network within the venture capital community allows us to introduce emerging companies to sources of capital.
- Morguard Investments Limited: Advising on its $143.4 million sale of Centennial Towers, a government-occupied office tower in downtown Ottawa, to The Great-West Life Assurance Company, the largest single asset building sale of the year 2013 in Ottawa.
- One of Canada’s leading telecommunications providers: Advising on successful advocacy efforts to eliminate certain foreign investment restrictions in the Canadian telecommunications sector.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Patheon Inc. (TSX: PT): Canadian counsel to this leading provider of contract development and manufacturing services to the global pharmaceutical industry in connection with its US$2.6 billion going private transaction by way of plan of arrangement, and business combination with DSM’s pharmaceutical products business.
- Procurement and construction litigation: Representing one of Canada’s largest construction companies in a number of construction related litigation matters including deficiency and delay claims, and procurement matters.
- Protection of trade secrets and confidential information: Acting for clients in relation to the protection of confidential and commercially sensitive information. Currently acting as defence counsel to a global hi-tech company in respect of a $60 million claim for misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Public Law litigation: Acting for clients involved in judicial review applications challenging decisions made by government bodies. We are also part of a strong national practice responding to or initiating leave to appeal applications on matters of national importance before the Supreme Court of Canada, and attending on many Supreme Court of Canada cases where leave has been granted.
- Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund I Limited Partnership and Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.: Advising in respect of the $60 million credit facility to finance the construction of a 10 MW hydroelectric project to be located on the French River in the district of Parry Sound, Ontario. The project is situated on federal Crown lands subject to the Dominion Water Power Act, reserve lands subject to the Indian Act and provincial Crown lands subject to the Public Lands Act and the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act.
- ViXS Systems Inc.: Advising the principal shareholders of this world leading designer of semiconductor chips for high growth segments of the multimedia industry in connection with its CA$57.4 million going-public financing. This is a landmark offering in the Canadian capital markets as ViXS will become the only publicly traded semiconductor company on the TSX and the first to go public in over a decade. We also advised the principal shareholders on ViXS’ previous financing transactions from 2000 to 2013.
- Wireless carriers and radiocom equipment manufacturers: Providing strategic advice on the licensing and equipment certification rules that apply to virtually every single commercial wireless radio spectrum band, including the terrestrial mobile wireless bands (cellular, PCS, AWS, 2500 MHz, 700 MHz), fixed wireless bands (WCS, FWA, LMCS/LMDS, 24 GHz, 38 GHz microwave and backhaul spectrum), satellite service bands (FSS, MSS and BSS) and unlicensed radio spectrum bands (2.4 GHz, 5.3 GHz, white spaces spectrum).
May 21, 2015
August 21, 2013
Last night, at a gala dinner and presentation, the Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance (CATA) honoured Ottawa partner Tom Houston with an Advocacy Leadership Award. Read more
Dentons Canada LLP (Dentons) has achieved its largest showing to date in the 2014 edition of well-regarded directory Best Lawyers in Canada, with nearly a quarter of our lawyers listed as leaders in their practice areas. Read more
April 21, 2015
March 4, 2015
Federal Finance Minister Joe Oliver tabled the Conservative government’s eleventh budget on April 21, 2015. The Federal Budget was originally expected to be released in February or March, however, due to growth uncertainties and a significant decline in global oil prices, Minister Oliver announced its delay in January of this year. Read more
January 29, 2015
Chantal Bernier, LL.B., LL.M, Counsel, Dentons Canada LLP, former Interim Privacy Commissioner of Canada, Senior fellow, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Ottawa. Read more
What I would like to do today is facilitate a discussion among us rather than simply present. Why? Because the issue of data monetization and its privacy implications is still unfolding. So I believe it is more useful at this point for us to think about it together, than to individually propose solutions. Read more
View all insights for Ottawa
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
May 6, 2015
April 2, 2015
Dentons is pleased to announce the promotion of 48 new partners worldwide for 2015. This roster of partner promotions spans 22 offices and an impressive range of practice and sector groups across Canada, Europe, the United Kingdom, Middle East and Africa (UKMEA), and the United States. Read more
December 8, 2014
For the fifth consecutive year, Dentons has been named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, highlighting the Firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Read more
Dentons Canada LLP is pleased to announce that The Legal 500 Canada 2015 has ranked 66 Dentons lawyers in an impressive range of areas of expertise, earning a total of 77 rankings. Read more
View all press releases for Ottawa