Guy Paul Allard practices corporate and commercial law from Dentons Canada LLP’s Montreal office. He is the regional co-lead for the Mining Law group and regional lead for the Technology Law group. His practice focuses on corporate finance, securities, and mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies.
Guy Paul acts in a wide range of transactions for both reporting issuers and underwriters. He regularly advises boards and management on corporate governance matters and directors’ and officers’ liability. Prior to joining Dentons, Guy Paul acted as in-house counsel to a high-tech company specializing in the design and manufacture of fiber optics test and measurement equipment designed primarily for the telecommunications industry. In this capacity he advised on the company’s initial public offering as well as on its numerous international transactions and acquisitions.
Guy Paul is a member of the Legal Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising with respect to its $4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Australian based mining company: Advising in the context of a call for bids for the assets of a publicly listed Canadian company with mining operations in Ivory Coast and Mali
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising on its US$250 million secured revolving credit facility
- Boralex Inc.: Adivsing on its $226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on its bought-deal offering of $109.25 million aggregate principal amount of convertible debentures, including an initial $95 million offering and an additional $14.25 million offering pursuant to the exercise of an over-allotment option
- Tembec Inc.: Acting as Canadian co-counsel in connection with its US$255 million offering of 11.25% notes of its wholly owned subsidiary, Tembec Industries Inc.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising on its private placement offering of US$100 million of senior secured bonds
- Cascades Inc.: Advising on concurrent senior note offerings of US$500 million and CDN$200 million, and a follow-on of US$250 million
- Confidential client: Advising the underwriters on a $58.7 million bought deal offering by Paladin Labs Inc.
- Recipient of the Québec Department of Justice Award, 1996
In the Media
- Co-author, ''International Comparative Law Guide to Mining Law 2014'' (Canada Chapter)
- "Quebec Tables Bill 43 Amending the Mining Act", May 2013
- Co–author, “Changes To TSXV Listing Requirements”, Focus on Securities | Corporate Finance, May 2010
- Co–author, ''Régimes alternatifs d'appel public à l'épargne'', JurisClasseur Québec LexisNexis
- ''Responsabilité civile quant aux obligations d’information sur le marché secondaire'', article published in the Bulletin d’information de l’Association du Barreau canadien - Quebec Division, April 2009
- ''Les droits des autres soumissionnaires et la modification du contrat administratif'', published in the Revue juridique des étudiants de l’Université Laval (R.J.E.U.L.), 1996
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Québec Bar
- Member, Business Law Section – Quebec Division of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Quebec Mineral Exploration Association
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member, Legal Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers (Québec)
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Member, Board of Directors, Centre de consultation de l’Entreprise (Faculty of Business Administration, Laval University)
- President, Jeune Barreau de Québec (Young Bar Association of Quebec)
- ''Capital Markets in Canada, the US and In Québec'', 21st Seminar for lawyers specializing in securities, October 2012
- ''Financing mining projects in the Plan Nord region'', Plan Nord Boot Camp, October 2012
- Co-Presenter, "Programs Supporting Cleantech and Clean Energy Development in Canada", Cleantech Forum, San Francisco, March 2011
- ''Managing Executive Risk: Directors’ and Officers’ Liability'', concurrent workshop presented during the 2009 National Spring Conference, Montréal, April 2009