Guy Paul Allard is a partner in the Corporate & Commercial Group of Dentons Canada LLP in Montréal.
He joined Dentons in 2007 where he specializes in corporate finance, securities, and mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies. He acts in a wide range of transactions for both reporting issuers and underwriters, and regularly advises boards and management on corporate governance matters and directors’ and officers’ liability issues. Guy Paul is a regional co-lead for the National Mining Practice Group and regional lead for the Technology Practice Group.
Guy Paul started his career in 1996 in a large Quebec City firm that specialized in business law. From 1999 to 2003, he was legal counsel at EXFO Electro-Optical Engineering, a high-tech company specializing in the design and manufacture of fiber optics test and measurement equipment designed primarily for the telecommunications industry. As such, he was involved in EXFO’s initial public offering as well as in numerous international transactions and acquisitions.
Guy Paul is a member of the Legal Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers.
- Counsel to Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited with respect to its $4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Counsel to an Australian based mining company in the context of a call for bids for the assets of a publicly listed Canadian company with mining operations in Ivory Coast and Mali
- Counsel to Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited on its US$250 million secured revolving credit facility
- Counsel to Boralex Inc. on its $226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund
- Counsel to Boralex Inc. on its bought-deal offering of $109.25 million aggregate principal amount of convertible debentures, including an initial $95 million offering and an additional $14.25 million offering pursuant to the exercise of an over-allotment option
- Canadian co-counsel to Tembec Inc. in connection with its US$255 million offering of 11.25% notes of its wholly owned subsidiary, Tembec Industries Inc.
- Counsel to Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited on its private placement offering of US$100 million of senior secured bonds
- Counsel to Cascades Inc. on concurrent senior note offerings of US$500 million and CDN$200 million, and a follow-on of US$250 million
- Counsel to the underwriters on a $58.7 million bought deal offering by Paladin Labs Inc.
- Recipient of the Québec Department of Justice Award, 1996
In the Media
- Co-author of ''International Comparative Law Guide to Mining Law 2014'' (Canada Chapter)
- Quebec Tables Bill 43 Amending the Mining Act, May 2013
- Focus on Securities | Corporate Finance - May 2010
- ''Régimes alternatifs d'appel public à l'épargne'', JurisClasseur Québec LexisNexis, (co-author)
- ''Responsabilité civile quant aux obligations d’information sur le marché secondaire'', article published in the Bulletin d’information de l’Association du Barreau canadien - Quebec Division, April 2009
- ''Les droits des autres soumissionnaires et la modification du contrat administratif'', published in the Revue juridique des étudiants de l’Université Laval (R.J.E.U.L.), 1996
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Québec Bar
- Member of the Business Law Section - Quebec Division of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Member of the Board of Directors, Centre de consultation de l’Entreprise (Faculty of Business Administration, Laval University), 1990-2001
- President of the Jeune Barreau de Québec (Young Bar Association of Quebec), 1995-1996
- ''Capital Markets in Canada, the US and In Québec'', 21st Seminar for lawyers specializing in securities, October 2012
- ''Financing mining projects in the Plan Nord region'', Plan Nord Boot Camp, October 2012
- Co-Presenter, "Programs Supporting Cleantech and Clean Energy Development in Canada", Cleantech Forum, San Francisco, March 2011
- ''The Reform of the Canada Business Corporations Act'', conference presented in the continuing professional development program of the Association of Certified General Accountants of Québec (CGA), 2003
- ''Managing Executive Risk: Directors’ and Officers’ Liability'', concurrent workshop presented during the 2009 National Spring Conference, Montréal, April 2009