Heather is an associate practising with Dentons Canada LLP's Pension and Benefits Group. She advises clients in all areas of pensions and benefits and works with clients to help them understand federal and provincial pension laws and regulations. Heather assists clients in fulfilling their obligations with respect to plan governance, fiduciary responsibilities and plan administration.
Heather advises on plan mergers, wind ups, surplus distributions, regulatory compliance, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and insolvency, and multi-employer pension plans. She has also assisted several clients with the structure and design of their pension plans, supplementary benefit plans, group RRSPs as well as health and welfare plans and regularly provides advice regarding the day-to-day administration of their retirement programs.
- United Way of Toronto: Advising on the pension plan governance and administrative matters as well as corporate transactions involving employee pensions and benefits issues.
- PepsiCo Canada: Advising on a variety of pension and employee benefits matters,including providing ongoing advice with respect to the day-to-day administration of its pension plans and meeting regularly with the Canadian management team to advise on the governance of PepsiCo Canada’s pension plans.
- Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (Government of Canada): Advising on its review of trust, custodial and investment management agreements relating to its registered pension plans.
- Canada Post Corporation: Advising on designing and structuring its federally-regulated pension plan and supplementary pension plan. Advising on plan governance and fiduciary liabilities and assisting with the day-to-day administration of its retirement arrangements.
- Grant Forest Products Inc.: Advising on the CCAA and US Bankruptcy Court approved acquisition of its oriented strand board facilities in Ontario and South Carolina, US by Georgia-Pacific LLC for US$400 million. The process for the acquisition involved a series of court and regulatory approvals on both sides of the border, and included approval from both Canadian and US courts, the Canadian Competition Bureau, the US Federal Trade Commission and Investment Canada.
- Armtec Infrastructure Income Fund: Acting as counsel on its CA$48.4 million acquisition of Pre-Con Inc.
- Pension plan administrators: Acting as Counsel on assisting with drafting and conducting reviews of pension plans, group retirement savings plans, deferred profit-sharing plans, employee profit-sharing plans and other benefit.
- Confidential clients: Counseling to several corporate pension plan administrators on the negotiation and distribution of surplus to the company, plan members and beneficiaries relating to partial and full wind-ups of pension plans, as well as asset transfers and pension plan mergers.
- “More news on the ORPP” Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, December 18, 2014
- “Update on the new, mandatory Ontario Retirement Pension Plan”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, December 9, 2014
- "Update on Telecommunications Employees Association of Manitoba Inc. v. Manitoba Telecom Services Inc.”, CBA National Pensions and Benefits Law Section Newsletter, November 2014
- “LTD insurance requirements coming soon for Ontario employers”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, September 9, 2014
- “Get ready for the new Ontario Retirement Pension Plan”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, July 28, 2014
- "Re Timminco Limited: Court considers pension priorities in insolvency proceedings post-Indalex", CBA National Pensions and Benefits Law Section For Your Benefit Newsletter, July 2012
- "Ontario Pension Reform", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, June 2012
- "Private Pension Plans: What The Budgets Have In Store For You", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, April 2012
- "A Second Helping, Ontario Pension Reform", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, October 2010
- "Have Your Say About Pension Reform", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, March 2010
- New Disclosure Rules Proposed for Federally-Regulated Defined Contribution Pension Plans - November 2009
- "Buzz About a New National Pension Plan: What’s It All About?", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, October 2009
- "Kerry Canada - Good News for Plan Sponsors", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, August 2009
- "Lender Strategy in Light of New Pension Priorities", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, June 2009
- "The Pension Plan Administrator: The Importance of Consciousness Raising", OBA 2009 Institute Pension Law, February 3, 2009
- Recommendations from Ontario’s Expert Commission on Pensions, November 2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Executive Member of the Canadian Bar Association, Pensions and Benefits Law Section, 2009 - present. Co-chair of the Professional Development Committee (2014) and past Co-Chair of the Website Committee (2009-2014).
- Executive Member of the Ontario Bar Association, Pensions and Benefits Law Section, 2014 - present.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Member of the Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
Current Firm Activities
- Member of the Dentons Diversity Committee
- Member of the Dentons United Way Campaign
- Presentation on the “Top 10 employee related considerations for 2015”, presented with Matthew Curtis at the Dentons Client Bootcamp held on November 12, 2014