Heather is an associate practising with Dentons Canada LLP's Pension and Benefits Group. She advises clients in all areas of pensions and benefits and works with clients to help them understand federal and provincial pension laws and regulations. Heather assists clients in fulfilling their obligations with respect to plan governance, fiduciary responsibilities and plan administration.
Heather advises on plan mergers, wind ups, surplus distributions, regulatory compliance, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and insolvency, and multi-employer pension plans. She has also assisted several clients with the structure and design of their pension plans, supplementary benefit plans, group RRSPs as well as health and welfare plans and regularly provides advice regarding the day-to-day administration of their retirement programs.
- Advises PepsiCo Canada on a variety of pension and employee benefits matters, including providing ongoing advice with respect to the day-to-day administration of its pension plans.
- Assisted on advising the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (Government of Canada) on its review of trust, custodial and investment management agreements relating to its registered pension plans.
- Counsel to Canada Post Corporation on designing and structuring its federally-regulated pension plan and supplementary pension plan, advising on plan governance and fiduciary liabilities, and assisting with the day-to-day administration of its retirement arrangements
- Counsel to Grant Forest Products Inc. on the CCAA and US Bankruptcy Court approved acquisition of its OSB facilities by Georgia-Pacific LLC for US$400 million
- Counsel to Armtec Infrastructure Income Fund on its $48.4 million acquisition of Pre-Con Inc.
- Counsel to pension plan administrators assisting with drafting and conducting reviews of pension plans, group retirement savings plans, deferred profit-sharing plans, employee profit-sharing plans and other benefit
- Counsel to several corporate pension plan administrators on the negotiation and distribution of surplus to the company, plan members and beneficiaries
- “Update on the new, mandatory Ontario Retirement Pension Plan”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, December 9, 2014
- “LTD insurance requirements coming soon for Ontario employers”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, September 9, 2014
- “Get ready for the new Ontario Retirement Pension Plan”, Dentons Employment & Labour Law Blog, July 28, 2014
- "Re Timminco Limited: Court considers pension priorities in insolvency proceedings post-Indalex", CBA National Pensions and Benefits Law Section For Your Benefit Newsletter, July 2012
- "Ontario Pension Reform", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, June 2012
- "Private Pension Plans: What The Budgets Have In Store For You", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, April 2012
- "A Second Helping, Ontario Pension Reform", Focus on Pensions | Benefits, October 2010
- Have Your Say About Pension Reform - March 2010
- New Disclosure Rules Proposed for Federally-Regulated Defined Contribution Pension Plans - November 2009
- Buzz About a New National Pension Plan: What’s It All About? – October 2009
- Kerry Canada - Good News for Plan Sponsors - August 2009
- Lender Strategy in Light of New Pension Priorities
- The Pension Plan Administrator: The Importance of Consciousness Raising
- Recommendations from Ontario’s Expert Commission on Pensions – November 2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Executive Member of the Canadian Bar Association, Pensions and Benefits Law Section, 2009 - present. Co-chair of the Professional Development Committee (2014) and past Co-Chair of the Website Committee (2009-2014).
- Executive Member of the Ontario Bar Association, Pensions and Benefits Law Section, 2014 - present.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Member of the Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
Current Firm Activities
- Member of the Dentons Diversity Committee
- Member of the Dentons United Way Campaign
- Presentation on the “Top 10 employee related considerations for 2015”, presented with Matthew Curtis at the Dentons Client Bootcamp held on November 12, 2014