Jaime is a Senior Customs Consultant in the National Commodity and Sales Tax Group at Dentons Canada. He specializes in customs compliance planning and duty saving strategies. He provides support on the Customs impact to matters concerning accounting, transfer pricing and taxation (both direct and indirect). Jaime also consults extensively on Canadian non-resident importer issues in relation to both the associated Customs and import (GST) issues. In addition to his vast experience in Canada, Jaime has worked on a wide range of customs projects in the United States, Mexico, Latin America, Europe, Australia and Asia.
Jaime has been involved with setting up Foreign Trade Zones in the United States and has been an active member of both the American Association of Exporters and Importers and the National Association of Foreign Trade Zones.
Prior to joining Dentons, Jaime was the National Practice Leader of the Canadian Customs consulting practice of a global freight forwarder and was with the customs and tax groups of the "big four" accounting firms in both the U.S. and Canada where he led the customs consulting practice in their Northeast region.
Jaime was employed in various government capacities including positions with Canada Customs where he worked as a senior commercial customs inspector, an import commodity specialist and a headquarters project officer on the Customs Accounting Team. Other government positions held included positions as a tax enquiries officer with the Excise branch concerning matters related to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Excise duties and taxes, stints with the Privy Council Office in Ottawa and an assignment with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade at their Embassy in Paris, France.
He has also been selected, on occasion, to provide advice to the Government of Canada on Customs matters including border contingency planning matters and the Customs Appeals and Voluntary Disclosure program redesign. He is a licensed US customs broker and has achieved "Qualified Customs Broker" status in Canada. Jaime is also certified by the Canadian Society of Custom Brokers as a Certified Customs Specialist.
- Award, U.S. Department of Commerce Foreign Commercial Service - Trade Delegation Assistance
In the Media
- Provided comments to Fairchild Television Network concerning Canada's attempts to open trade doors to China at the IE Canada Emerging Customs Issues Conference at the Toronto Airport Hilton, April 22, 2009
- “Customs Update for Owner-Managers”, Canadian Tax Foundation, October 29, 2012
- "Importing and Exporting Cultural Property - Key Considerations", Focus on International Trade, July 2012
- "Canada Border Services Agency Update: Expecting a Customs Audit?", Focus on Tax, June 2011
- "Custom Practice Notes", Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
Activities and Affiliations
- Canada Border Services Agency Customs Broker Professional Status
- Appointed as a director to the board of directors of the University of Ottawa Alumni Association, effective November 2013
- The University of Ottawa Alumni Association engages its members to promote and support the University as an internationally-renowned, bilingual centre of academic excellence. The Association sustains ongoing relationships and contacts; enables Member engagement and involvement in the University community; identifies and recognizes Members achievements provides services and benefits to Members; increases awareness of the Members amongst the University and student communities; and supports the University in its efforts in the areas of student recruitment, reputation building, fundraising, and alumni participation in University life.
- Appointed to the Canadian Society of Customs Brokers Certified Trade Compliance Specialist Advisory Board (CTCS), effective September 2011
- Member, Institute of Internal Auditors
- Member, The Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, The International Fiscal Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters, former Vice – Chair of the Import Security Committee, previous member of the board of directors, previous executive member of the Customs & Legislation Committee.
- Member, The Canadian Society of Custom Brokers
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Instructor on NAFTA and Canadian Customs for the former World Trade Institute of Pace University of New York
- Instructor on Customs for the Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters (IE Canada)
- Presenter, Canadian Society of Customs Brokers Annual Toronto/Ontario Regional Conference, April 23, 2014
- Presenter, Customs Duty and International Trade Course - Toronto, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters, November 19-21, 2013
- Presenter, Canadian Tax Foundation's Annual General Conference, International Taxation Session, November 25, 2013
- Presenter, Canadian Tax Foundation – Ontario Tax Conference, “Customs Update for Owner-Managers”, October 29, 2012
- Presenter, “Customs and Transfer Pricing” Ontario Bar Association, International Tax Section, September 19, 2012
- Presenter, "I. E. Canada: The Customs Duty and International Trade Course", Montreal, March 19-21, 2012
- Presenter, "I.E. Canada: Canadian and U.S. Export Controls Workshop", Montreal, February 8, 2012
- Presenter, "I. E. Canada: The Customs Duty and International Trade Course", Toronto, November 14-16, 2011
- Presenter, "Classifying for Canadian Export Controls", Canadian & U.S. Export Controls Workshop, Calgary, November 3, 2011
- Presenter, "U.S. Trade with Canada: Import/Export Update", CONECT Breakfast Seminar, Boston, Massachusetts, September 28, 2011
- Presenter, "I.E. Canada: The Customs Duty and International Trade Course", Vancouver, September 12-14, 2011
- Presenter, "U.S. Tax and Intercompany/Cross-border Issues Exporting to the USA? Uncle Sam is Watching! Ignorance is not a Defence to the U.S. Tax Authorities", US Taxation of Cross-Border Activity Workshop, Mississauga, June 23, 2011
- Presenter, "Classifying for Canadian Export Controls", Canadian & U.S. Export Controls Workshop, Mississauga, June 13, 2011
- Presenter, "Customs Compliance - Understanding the Audit Process", CSCB Toronto Region General Meeting, Toronto, March 24, 2011
- Co-presenter, "Recent Developments in Canadian Customs Law: Cases and Issues that are Changing the Legal Landscape", Compliance Conference, Vancouver, September 2010
- Presenter, "Managing Cross-Border Transactions and Next Steps after a Customs Audit Decision", 14th Annual Customs Compliance and Border Security Conference, January 2009
- Presenter on Customs to the State Bar Associations of Michigan and Oregon, the International Fiscal Association of Boston, the Tax Executives Institute of Toronto, Montreal and Milwaukee, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Committee of International Tax Education in Chicago