A seasoned practitioner and expert negotiator, the Honourable Jean Bazin, Q.C., has acquired extensive experience in numerous fields of law. He acts as an arbitrator in commercial matters and as a mediator in a number of fields. He has pleaded before all the federal and Quebec courts.
Mr. Bazin was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1984. He was President of the Canadian Bar Association from 1987 to 1988. A member of the Senate of Canada from 1986 to 1989, he also participated in several standing Senate committees, such as the Standing Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, in addition to being Vice-Chairman of the Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs. In 1999, he was President of the Québec-Japan Business Forum.
Mr. Bazin is a director of several corporations and is a member of many foreign and national associations. In September 2007, he was appointed Chairman of the Société générale de financement du Québec. On December 15, 2010, the Conseil des ministres du Québec appointed Jean Bazin as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the new Investissement Québec (merger of the Société générale de financement and Investissement Québec).
Mr. Bazin joined Dentons Canada LLP in 1965 and became a partner in 1971.
- Named ''Advocatus Emeritus'' (Ad. E) by the Québec Bar
- Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Rated ''AV Preeminent'' in Martindale-Hubbell
Activities and Affiliations
- Member and accredited mediator of the Québec Bar
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Mediator for the Center for Public Resources, New York
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the International Lawyers’ Group
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Member of the Québec-Japan Business Forum (Chairman, 1995-1999)
- Governor of the Canadian Institute for Conflict Resolution
- Member of the International Commission of Jurists (Canadian section)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Théâtre de Quat’Sous inc.
- Vice-President of The Canadian Association of Former Parliamentarians
- Governor, Institut of Resources Law (Calgary)
- Secretary and Member of the Board of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra
- Governor, Canadian Exporters' Association