The Honourable Jean Bazin, Q.C., is a member of the Employment and Labour group of Dentons Canada LLP’s Montreal office.
Jean acts as an arbitrator in commercial matters and as a mediator in a number of fields. He has pleaded before all levels of federal and Quebec courts. He has acted or mediated in a number of cases involving companies, governments or aboriginal communities. As a Canadian senator, Jean contributed to the work of many committees most notably on energy and natural resources and foreign affairs. He is a director of several corporations and is a member of many foreign and national associations.
- Named “Advocatus Emeritus” (Ad. E.) by the Québec Bar
- Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
Activities and Affiliations
- Member and accredited mediator, Québec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Mediator, Center for Public Resources, New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Lawyers’ Group
- President, Canadian Bar Association (1987-1988)
- Member, Senate of Canada (1986-1989); Member, Standing Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources; Vice-Chairman, Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Chairman, Société générale de financement du Québec (appointed in 2007) and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Investissement Québec (merger of the Société générale de financement and Investissement Québec) (appointed by the Conseil des ministres du Québec in 2010)
- Member, Québec-Japan Business Forum (Chairman, 1995-1999 and President,1999)
- Governor, Canadian Institute for Conflict Resolution
- Member, International Commission of Jurists (Canadian section)
- Member, Board of Directors of Théâtre de Quat’Sous inc.
- Vice-President, The Canadian Association of Former Parliamentarians
- Governor, Institute of Resources Law (Calgary)
- Secretary and Member, Board of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra
- Governor, Canadian Exporters' Association