Joey Mastrogiuseppe leads the Banking and Finance group of Dentons Canada LLP’s Montreal office. His practice focuses on financing in the entertainment industry.
Joey represents financial institutions, studios and private equity investors in connection with a broad range of entertainment and media related transactions. Joey has expertise in entertainment financing and corporate finance. He is best known for representing and advising some of the leading domestic and foreign financial institutions involved in the entertainment and media industries.
Joey taught entertainment law at McGill University in Montreal. He is also active in the management of the firm.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank: Advising JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. as Agent to the Lenders in the US$300 million syndicated refinancing for Entertainment One Ltd. (eOne). The 5 year senior revolving term loan allowed eOne to acquire Alliance Films Inc., a leading independent distributor of filmed entertainment products in Canada, the United Kingdom and Spain, from affiliates of Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Investissement Québec.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank: Counsel to JPMorganChase, as administrative agent, and a syndicate of lenders with respect to a US$800,000,000 five-year revolving credit facility for Lionsgate Entertainment Corporation; this is one of the largest revolving credit facilities raised by an entertainment company in more than a decade. The new facility replaces Lionsgate's previous US$340,000,000 revolving credit facility.
- National Bank of Canada: Advising on various single picture financing including, most recently, “Happy Feet II”, “I, Frankenstein”, “The Call” and “All is Lost” and financing of network television series including most recently “The Black Box”.
- Royal Bank of Canada: Advising on various single picture financings.
- Investissement Québec (formerly Société générale de financement du Québec): Advising on the slate financing deal with Dark Castle Entertainment.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 and 2013: Recommended as one of Canada's most repeatedly recommended lawyers in the area of Entertainment Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2009: Recommended in the area of Entertainment Law
- "British Tax Authority puts a Major Damper on U.K. Film Investment Structures,” published in Focus On Entertainment Law, February 2004
- “Hypothecation of Tax Credits”, published for the Canadian Institute Conference
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Quebec Bar
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- “Challenges for business leaders in the audiovisual industry” Regroupement pour la formation en audiovisuel du Québec (RFAVQ), January 2013