Joey Mastrogiuseppe represents financial institutions, studios and private equity investors in connection with a broad range of entertainment and media related transactions. Joey has expertise in entertainment financing and corporate finance. He is best known for representing and advising some of the leading domestic and foreign financial institutions involved in the entertainment and media industries.
Joey was an instructor of entertainment law at McGill University in Montréal and is ranked by The 2012 and 2013 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory among Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Entertainment Law.
Joey joined Dentons Canada LLP in 1994 and became a partner in 2002.
- Advising JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. as Agent to the Lenders in the US$300 million syndicated refinancing for Entertainment One Ltd. (eOne). The 5 year senior revolving term loan allowed eOne to acquire Alliance Films Inc., a leading independent distributor of filmed entertainment products in Canada, the United Kingdom and Spain, from affiliates of Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Investissement Québec.
- Counsel to Financière des entreprises culturelles du Québec, Société en commandite (FIDEC) on various gap financing productions including most recently "Upside Down"
- Counsel to National Bank of Canada on various single picture financing including, most recently, "Ben Hur" (CDN$28 million), "The Day of the Triffids" (US$13 million), "Crusoe" (US$27 million) and "Dream House" (US$50 million)
- Counsel to Société générale de financement du Québec on the $100 million acquisition of equity interest in Alliance Films Inc.
- Counsel to Société générale de financement du Québec (SGF) on the US$400 million investment deal with Lions Gate Entertainment Inc.
- Counsel to JP Morgan on the US$150 million senior debt financing to Entertainment One Ltd.
- Counsel to Société générale de financement du Québec (SGF) on the slate financing deal with Dark Castle Entertainment
- Recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 and 2013 as one of Canada's most repeatedly recommended lawyers in the area of Entertainment Law
- Recommended by Best Lawyers in Canada 2009 in the area of Entertainment Law
- British Tax Authority puts a Major Damper on U.K. Film Investment Structures, February 2004
- “Hypothecation of Tax Credits”, published for the Canadian Institute Conference
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Québec Bar
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association