Kara is in charge of student and associate recruitment and progression within the Toronto Office. She is responsible for the in-house mentoring and evaluation programs for students and associates, ensuring that they have the necessary guidance, feedback and opportunity to enable them to leverage all of their abilities and accelerate their development. She oversees the evaluation process for our summer and articling students after each rotation, the Annual Associate Evaluation Process, the Partnership Admission Process, the Mentoring Programs, the Coaching Programs and is a keen organizer and participant at firm events. She has helped associates develop networking events with clients, and helped to found a networking partnership for female associates with a major client of the Toronto office.
Kara also sits on the Toronto Management Committee, Diversity Committee, Pro Bono Committee, Professional Development Committee, Alumni Committee and Student Committee.
Before joining Dentons in 2004, Kara practised in the area of Land Use Planning at another Toronto law firm.
- 2012 NALP Service Excellence Award, given in recognition of exceptional service to NALP and to a member who "embodies the spirit of volunteerism that infuses NALP with energy, knowledge and collegiality
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section
- Chair, Canadian Section of the National Association of Legal Professionals (2009)
- Member, National Association of Legal Professionals, Canadian Diversity Working Group (2007 - Present)
- Chair, National Association of Legal Professionals, Canadian Directory of Legal Employers Working Group (2006 - 2009). This project won the NALP President's Award in 2008.
- Member, Professional Development Consortium
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
Current Firm Activities
- Toronto Management Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Student Committee
- Pro Bono Committee
- Alumni Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Kara is a frequent speaker at law schools, professional association conferences, etc.