Laura Tiuca is a Local Partner, a Co-Leader of Dentons (formerly Salans) Real Estate Group in Romania and Head of the local Hospitality and Leisure practice.
In her over twelve years of practice she has often been involved in cornerstone transactions, including the biggest transactions in the Romanian market and the development of multi-million euro projects in the region. Her real estate experience includes investment structuring, acquisitions, leasing and development of all types of real estate portfolios - commercial centres, residential complexes, logistics and office space. She deals with FIDIC and all other contracts necessary for such projects development and management.
Laura has also extensively dealt with M&A, banking and finance, environment and arbitration & litigation matters, including contestations for construction licences and permits. She has been lead counsel on important deals for international brands.
- Advised Reuben Brothers in connection with certain client’s projects in the region. Providing legal advice with respect to all Romanian real estate properties and related matters involving the development of a project sophisticated mixed use project in western Romania, using the land and infrastructure previously owned by one of the oldest and largest petrochemicals companies in the country. The work performed has been highly complex, involving real estate, extensive litigation related matters (in Romania, Italy, Cyprus, USA and the UK), environmental, corporate, M&A, tax and insolvency, as well as joint venture matters under several jurisdictions.
- Coordinated the international team of lawyers who advised Kan Development with respect to the refinancing by UBS Monaco of one of its aircrafts, involved in financing matter in Ukraine and acquisition of 5 stars hotels in Spain.
- Advice and negotiation for the Swedish-American company Autoliv, shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and its Swedish Depository Receipts on the OMX Stockholm Stock Exchange, a technology leader with the widest product offering for automotive safety, in connection with land acquisition and related commercial and employment matters in view of developing two new production sites in Transylvania, Romania. Providing legal training to the Romanian purchase team of Autoliv with respect to the best practices in connection with their clients (including competition law matters, tax, employment and state aid matters).
- Coordinated the complex project related to the relocation of the entire Eastern Hemisphere Hub of Lufkin to Romania, which will manage Lufkin's existing operations in Singapore, India, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Brunei, Bahrain, France, Italy, Russia, Australia and others. Advised Lufkin Industries to close a major real estate acquisition in Ploiesti, the centre of Romania’s oil industry. Also, providing complex legal advice in connection with the construction related to the greenfield manufacturing plant the client intends to develop on the 33 hectare site, the company’s first manufacturing facility in Eastern Europe.
- Advising OMV Petrom, the largest company in Romania, in connection with a site in Bucharest, Romania as well as with related environmental and decontamination, litigation and settlement matters.
- Advising Hilton in connection with reviewing management agreements; franchise agreements, title due diligence on multiple properties in Romania in view of developing and operating of all their new hotels.
- Advising Marriott on the hotel management agreements for new developments in Romania, including Romanian review of the hotel management agreement, title due diligence and related advice
- Advising Renault in connection with the establishment of a EUR 200 billion Research & Development centre in Europe, in Romania. Complex transaction involving negotiations with the Romanian Government and local authorities.
- Advised subsidiary of Rompetrol Holding SA in connection with its recommended cash offer of EUR 50.8 million for the real estate investment fund Fabian Romania Limited.
- Advising on the largest PPP project in Romania, consisting of a EUR 150 million mixed-use development in the center of Bucharest.
- Providing legal analysis on certain issues related to a concession granted under the Oil Law to the view of a $100,100,000 public offering made by an important international corporation, which is in the business of oil and gas exploration and production.
- Advising companies like: ACCOR, GE Real Estate (for a project of EUR 175 million), Heitman International, Compania Hoteliera Intercontinental, AFI Europe, AIG/Lincoln, Autoliv, Ermes Holding, GDF Suez, Enercap, Harvard Management, Immofinanz AG, Lufkin Industries, Marriott, Macromex, Medias Industries, BRD – Groupe Société Générale, Plaza Centers on various legal matters, including investment structuring, acquisitions, leasing and development of all types of real estate portfolios - commercial centres, residential complexes, logistics and office space, hospitality related matters, FIDIC and all other contracts necessary for such projects development and management, corporate law, capital markets, M&A, banking and finance, competition, environment and arbitration & litigation matters.
As recognition of her outstanding contribution to the Romanian market over the last decade, in 2012 Laura was invited to be present in the Romanian edition of the Who’s Who catalogue, edited by Hubner’s prestigious publishing house Who is Who Verlag für Personenenzyklopädien AG from Austria, being included in the list of Romanian personalities. She has also been nominated in 2012 and 2013 for the Professional of the Year Award at the Europaproperty SEE Real Estate Awards Gala, one of the most prestigious industry events, gathering the most active international and local developers, bankers, investors, lawyers and other CRE professionals operating in the SEE region.
Laura’s skills and professionalism have been acknowledged in the prestigious independent legal directories Chambers and Partners Europe and Legal500 2013. Chambers says “Co-heading the department, Laura Tiuca wins praise from clients: ‘She is exceptionally talented and pleasant to deal with. She brings things up where there are potential pitfalls.’“, while Legal500 reads “Laura Tiuca is praised for her knowledge of Romanian, English and US law.”
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- Local Partner – Dentons (formerly Salans), Bucharest (2013 to date)
- Managing Counsel - Salans, Bucharest (2008-2013)
- Associate - Salans, Bucharest (2005-2007)
- Associate - David & Baias, corresponding firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers, Bucharest (2002-2005)
- Lawyer - PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal Department, Bucharest (2001-2002)