Marc has an established expertise in legal matters related to banking and financial services. He leads the banking and financial services practice group of the Montréal office of Dentons Canada LLP.
For more than 20 years, Marc has advised providers and users of banking and financial services in a wide variety of markets. He has negotiated commercial agreements in connection with corporate and acquisition financings, project and infrastructure financings, international trade finance, and hedging and other banking operations. He knows the commercial as well as the legal issues that arise in banking and financial transactions. He is also familiar with the particular challenges associated with financial restructuring and insolvency.
In addition, Marc advises banks in connection with their special regulatory and legal compliance requirements. He also has represented clients in connection with litigation matters arising from banking operations and has pleaded cases before all levels of courts in Canada.
Prior to joining Dentons, Marc was, from 2007 to 2010, the Vice-President, Legal Affairs and Corporate Secretary of a public energy company in Quebec where he gained a good understanding of the commercial and legal needs of corporate treasuries.
Previously, Marc was a partner in the financial services group of the Montréal office of another important national law firm.
Marc lectures in banking law at the Faculty of Law at McGill University.
He began his legal career as law clerk for a Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Finally, Marc is a member of the Quebec and Ontario Bars, and is qualified to provide legal services in respect of matters arising in either of these provinces.
- Represents an issuing bank in an injunction proceeding to prevent an allegedly fraudulent payment (2012)
- Counsel to a bank in connection with an accounts receivable (and related insurance) that has been purchased and that the foreign debtor has failed to pay (2012)
- Counsel to a bank in connection with the deposit of fraudulent cheques and the reversal proceedings against its client (2012)
- Counsel to a bank to ensure that changes made to its line of credit contracts comply with Quebec and federal consumer protection legislation (2012)
- Counsel to a foreign bank subsidiary in relation to the legal issues raised in Canada by FATCA (2012)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the extension of a $40 million acquisition financing, August (2011)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the extension of a $20 million acquisition financing, September (2011)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the subordination of an investment by way of preferred shares in the share capital of the borrower, November (2011)
- Reviewed and updated forms in connection with guarantees and standby letters of credit issued by a bank, December (2011)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the extension of a $50 million tax credit factoring facility, March (2011)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the extension of a $30 million commercial receivables factoring facility, January (2011)
- Acted for a lender in connection with the purchase of a participation in a $30 million term loan, December (2010)
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Québec Bar
- Member of The Law Society of Upper Canada
- ''Aspects légaux et commerciaux des lettres de crédit et des lettres de garantie'', March 2013
- "An Introduction to Letters of Credit for Banking Lawyers", November 2012
- "Preparing the Legal Framework for Mobile and Other Emerging Payments", November 2012
- ''Legal Implication of FATCA for Canadian banks'', November 2012
- "Moving B2B Payments Into The Digital Age", the Food Industry Credit Bureau, October 2012
- "Quelle gouvernance pour l'industrie des paiements", Laval University, September 2012
- "The Regulatory Framework for Payments in Canada", Canadian Bar Association, October 2011, and Canadian Institute, December 2011
- "Fundamental Legal Aspects of Credit and Credit Agreements", Canadian Institute Conference, June 2011
- "The Collection and Payment of Fraudulent Cheques: Legal Issues that Arise Between Banks and their Clients", Université de Montréal, May 2011
- "Proposed Federal Regulations Reinforce the Protection of Consumers of Financial Services", Lexology, March 2011
- "The Regulation of Payment Cards in Canada: Recent Developments", Canadian Institute Conference, September 2010