Marian Hagler is a member of Dentons' Corporate practice. Her practice focuses on complex
international energy sector mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and
includes projects in the Middle East, Latin America, Africa, Russia
and Central Asia.
- Led negotiations for China Investment Corporation to invest
US$300 million in a 50–50 joint venture with a Russian oil and gas
- Led engagement for MOL Plc in relation to its proposed US$1
billion acquisition of Kazakhstan oil and gas assets and interests in the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) held by Oman
Oil Company, including strategic advice, due diligence, and
preparation and negotiation of transaction documents.
- Led engagement for KMG E&P in relation to its US$900
million acquisition from CITIC Group of a 50 percent interest in
the Canadian holding company (formerly Nations Energy) owning and
operating the Karazhanbasmunai field, including due diligence,
strategic advice and negotiation of transaction documents.
- Advised an independent in negotiating a PSC with Equatorial
Guinea and related joint venture and financing agreements.
- Led engagement for GeoPark in the sale of 10 percent of its
business in Chile to LG International, the first upstream Korean
investment in Chile.
- Led engagement for Bakken Oil Express, a crude oil rail loading facility in North Dakota, in relation to infrastructure development and shipper contracting.
- Member of team advising the Government of Guinea in respect of the $17 billion Simandou iron ore mine, one of the largest infrastructure projects in Africa.
- Advised RAK Petroleum in relation to its £194.2 million acquisition from Indago Petroleum Limited of interests in gas concessions in Oman and the UAE, as well as proposed investments in North Africa.
- Advised a US company in connection with its investment and
acquisition of a controlling interest in a Pakistan company
constructing a power plant and desalination facility.
- Advised an international development company sponsored by the
African Union in the development of a US$2 billion subsea cable
- Advised on structuring and prepared documentation for the
establishment by a UAE bank of a US$2 billion
global energy fund.
- Chambers USA: Corporate/M&A (Foreign Experts) (Spotlight Table), 2012
- 2012 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, High Honor Roll recognition by the chief judges of the DC Court of Appeals and DC Superior Court
- "U.S. Anti-Money Laundering Compliance: A Case Study in Investor Liability," Global Reference Guide: Fraud & White-Collar Crime, Financier Worldwide, May 2011
Activities and Affiliations
- International upsteam oil and gas contracting, including fiscal and non-fiscal terms, International Law Institute (ILI) 2010-2013 and International Senior Lawyers Project (ISLP), 2013.
- "Not So Civil and Uncommon Law," a presentation comparing principles of contract law under common law and civil law systems, Washington Metro Area Corporate Counsel Association (WMACCA), 2013.
- Lecturer, "Buying and Selling Existing Upstream Oil & Gas
Assets: Key Legal and Commercial Issues" and "Overview of E&P
Contracts," International Law Institute, Program on Oil and Gas
Development, Washington, DC, June 2011
- Speaker, "A Conversation on Submarine Fibre Optics,"
International Partnerships Conference, sponsored by the Corporate
Council on Africa, Tenerife, Canary Islands, March 2011
- Moderator, "Investing in Azerbaijan in 2011—Oil as a Catalyst
for Broader Growth," sponsored by the U.S. Azerbaijan Chamber of
Commerce, Washington, DC, February 2011
- Lecturer, "Production Sharing Contracts," International Law
Institute, Program on Oil and Gas Contracts and Dispute
Resolutions, Washington, DC, October 2010
- Moderator, "A Game Changer? The Geopolitics of the
Unconventional Gas Revolution and Implications for the Global Gas
Market," sponsored by the AIPN, Washington, DC, September 2010
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Co-advisor, International Law Institute, Oil& Gas Seminar,
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center,
International Oil & Gas Law 2013-2014, International Financial Transactions, 2003–2005
- Chair, District of Columbia Bar Association, International
Section Committee on Investment and Finance, 2002–2004
Prior and Present Employment
Prior to joining Dentons, Marian was of counsel at Baker & McKenzie LLP and a partner at Coudert Brothers LLP. Marian was founder and managing partner of Coudert’s St. Petersburg office. From 1999 to 2001, she was an attorney advisor in the Office of General Counsel–International Affairs of the United States Department of the Treasury, where she was responsible for a variety of matters involving international public finance, the World Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and other multilateral development banks, and international anti-money laundering controls.