Mark Weller is a partner practicing in the areas of public affairs and advocacy, specializing in strategy development, market planning, direct lobbying and regulatory counseling. He also designs and manages strategic communications initiatives for crises management and litigation strategies. He is a member of Dentons' Public Policy and Regulation practice team.
Mark represents corporations, industry associations, physician groups and hospitals in federal legislative and regulatory matters before Congress, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Department of Treasury and the Department of Transportation.
He regularly creates and manages multi-member coalitions of pharmaceutical and medical device companies, health care providers and stakeholders around a common goal, often specifically focused on major health policy issues in Washington, DC, and beyond. He has achieved success in a broad range of legislation ranging from FDA, Medicare, laboratory, diagnostic imaging and pharmacy compounding in the health care arena to federal stimulus and tax issues in the transportation field.
- Helped form the only international, multidisciplinary medical society that is exclusively focused on the use of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) to improve patient care worldwide. Engaged the FDA in a dialogue related to regulatory restrictions; gathered evidence to work with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and CMS to encourage CEUS use compared to non-enhanced ultrasound and other imaging modalities; and developed strategic communications strategy messaging to engage trade and mainstream media interest in the safety and cost-effectiveness of contrast ultrasound.
- Helped form and direct a large association of physicians promoting an integrated program of quality diagnosis and treatment for prostate cancer. Developed and implemented the legislative response to a CMS proposal that would have devastated access to radiation therapy as a form of treatment for prostate cancer. The final CMS rule did not apply the harmful proposals to the delivery of radiation therapy.
- Represented a national trade association representing nearly 300 manufacturers and component suppliers, producing approximately 98 percent of all RVs manufactured in the United States, to advocate for government policies to expand the availability of credit to RV manufacturers, suppliers and dealers. Successfully pursued a congressional strategy to stimulate demand for RV products by incentivizing purchases.
- Represented a coalition of employers of the Amish religion to modify provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) that required citizens and legal residents to maintain "minimum essential health coverage" or pay a penalty. In the Senate legislation and in the final legislation, provisions were successfully included clarifying that Amish employees are not subject to the legislation's individual health insurance mandates.
- Developed a communications plan and messages to complement state and federal advocacy efforts for a national association addressing confusion about credentials advertised in the marketplace.
- Developed the legislative strategy to address federal agency, CMS and FDA media responses to a pharmaceutical pricing issue.
- Developed and managed an informal coalition to promote continued use of the one-cent coin and to respond to US Treasury, congressional and media initiatives related to the penny.
In the MediaMark has appeared on 60 Minutes, ABC Money Matters, CNN, CBS Evening News, CCTV Biz Asia America, National Public Radio, NBC Nightly News and The Today Show. He has been mentioned by the Associated Press, Chicago Tribune, CQ Weekly, Health News Daily, HME News, Legal Times, Reuters, Time Magazine, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and Fox Business Channel.
Activities and Affiliations
- "Regulatory Landscape for Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound," 29th Annual Advances in Contrast Ultrasound Conference, Chicago, IL, September 18, 2014
- "Developments in Imaging and the Regulatory Arena," 28th Annual Advances in Contrast Ultrasound Conference, Chicago, IL, October 3, 2013
- "ICUS Regulatory Advocacy and Strategic Communications," 27th Annual Advances in Contrast Ultrasound Conference, Chicago, IL, September 20, 2012
- "Health Care Reform - Employer Impacts," Recreation Vehicle Industry Association Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, June 12, 2012
- "ICUS Regulatory Advocacy and Strategic Communications," 26th Annual Advances in Contrast Ultrasound Conference, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2011
- "The Economic Impact of Office-Based Physicians and Data Driven Advocacy," American Medical Association State Legislative Conference, Bonita Springs, FL, January 8, 2011
- "Comparative Effectiveness Research and CEUS," 25th Annual Advances in Contrast Ultrasound Conference, Chicago, IL, September 30, 2010
- "Affordable Care Act Overview and Implications for Hospitals," Tampa General Hospital board of directors, Tampa, FL, June 28, 2010
- "Implications of the Affordable Care Act for Employers,” Recreation Vehicle Industry Association Annual Meeting, South Bend, IN, June 8, 2010
- Moderator, "Affordable Care Act Political Process and Implementation" panel discussion, American Pharmacists Association, Washington, DC, March 15, 2010
- "Truth in Advertising - Who Do Patients Believe is a ‘Doctor’?" American Medical Association State Legislative Roundtable, Palm Springs, CA, January 8, 2010
- Webinar, "Health Care Reform Fraud and Abuse Provisions," American Pharmacists Association, Washington, DC, November 16, 2009
- "Improving Medication Use," American Pharmacists Association Voice of Pharmacy, Washington, DC, September 14, 2009
- "Health Care Provider Truth in Advertising," American Medical Association State Advocacy Roundtable Conference, Stowe, VT, August 13, 2009
- “FEMA Temporary Housing - Follow the Science,” CDC/Disaster Relief Housing Task Force, Elkhart, IN, April 24, 2008
- “Situation Analysis - Formaldehyde and Disaster Housing,” Indoor Air Quality Coalition, South Bend, IN, April 22, 2008
- "Formaldehyde Levels in FEMA Trailers - How About Some Science?" RVIA Annual Meeting, Kona, HI, March 1, 2008
- "FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Health Risks - Capitol Hill Reaction,” RVIA/RVDA board of directors, Las Vegas, NV, September 23, 2007
- “Formaldehyde Levels in FEMA Trailers - Growing Congressional Concern,” RVIA Executive Committee, Elkhart, IN, September 4, 2007
Mark is involved in many civic activities and organizations,
- National Wyldlife Coalition
- National YMCA Youth and Government Program
- Past president and member of the executive board, National
Society of YMCA Youth Governors
- USA/USSR Youth Adult Exchange Program
- Executive board, Men's Ministries, the Falls Church Anglican
Prior and Present Employment
Mark's keen understanding of the congressional and regulatory decision-making process was formed during his tenure as a staff member of US Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) while an attorney for the National Republican Senatorial Committee and as a manager of the Washington office of a Fortune 500 company. A founder and managing director of Aventor, a medical technology consulting firm, Mark also led the Health and Life Sciences practice at the Washington office of another firm.