Neil is highly acclaimed in the fields of tax litigation and commodity taxation, including goods and services tax and harmonized sales tax (GST/HST), provincial sales tax (PST), and international customs duties, and is the leader of Dentons' National Tax Group. He has extensive experience in dealing with various taxation authorities and has represented clients before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, as well as before Provincial Courts. Neil served on the CBA/CICA Joint Legislation Review Committee that reviewed the draft legislation which amended the Canadian Excise Tax Act.
Neil has authored numerous articles and conference papers on the GST/HST and was a co-editor of Canadian GST and Commodity Tax Cases published by CCH Canada Limited. Neil has been recognized as a leading practitioner in the area of commodity tax in prominent legal and other professional directories including, most recently, International Tax Review.
Neil continues to address audiences on a variety of commodity tax matters and is a past presenter at the CICA Commodity Tax Symposium and the Canadian Tax Foundation Conference. Neil was also awarded the 1999 Normand Guerin Award for his ''outstanding contribution to the study of commodity taxation''.
- Sprott Resource Lending Partnership: Counselling with respect to $72 million senior secured notes financing for North American Palladium Ltd.
- Providence Service Corporation: Counselling on their entry into the Canadian workforce initiatives market through their acquisition of WCG International Consultants.
Recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2009-2015) in the area of Commodity Tax/Customs
Recognized by The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (2010, 2011) in the area of Commodity Tax/Customs
Recognized by Legal 500 Canada 2015 in the area of Tax
Recognized by The Legal 500 Canada 2013 in the area of Tax
Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
Recognized as a leading lawyer in International Tax Review Tax Controversy Leaders (Canada) 2012 and 2013
- Co-author, "Recent Developments of Importance in Litigation - Corporate Tax", The 2010/2011 Lexpert CCCA/ACCJE Corporate Counsel Directory and Yearbook
- "Recent Developments of Importance in Litigation - Corporate Tax", The 2010 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Ontario Announces Sales Tax Harmonization
Activities and Affiliations
- Chair, Dentons Canada LLP National Tax Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Commodity Tax Customs and Trade Section
- Member, The GST/HST Leaders Forum, a group established by the Canadian Institute of Charter Accountants of recognized GST/HST accounting and legal service professionals from across Canada
- Guest Speaker, 2015 Commodity Tax Update, Tax Executives Institute, Commodity Tax Day 2015, January 22, 2014
- Here We Go Again: Revisiting Financial Services, Joint Ventures, and Nominees/Bare Trusts”, CPA Commodity Tax Symposium, September 30, 2013
- Neil speaks extensively on the GST/HST and a variety of commodity tax matters
- Speaker, "The 2012 Case Law Update", CICA Commodity Tax Symposium, Ottawa, October 2, 2012
- Speaker, "Tax and Privilege: A Primer", Continuing Professional Development Bootcamp, Toronto, November 30, 2011