Olivia’s practice focuses on international trade law, administrative law, and federal and provincial regulatory law with an emphasis on consumer and hazardous product regulation, food and drug regulation, and advertising law.
- Patheon Inc.: Canadian counsel to a leading provider of contract development and manufacturing services to the global pharmaceutical industry, in its US$255 million acquisition of Banner Pharmacaps and US$30 million rights offering of restricted voting shares (December 2012).
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on Canada's export and import controls, economic sanctions, and assisting with permit applications and non-compliance reports.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on regulatory compliance and liability mitigation with respect to hazardous workplace, industrial and consumer products, including management of hazard and defect reports to government agencies and design of product recalls.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on food, drug and other health product approvals including natural health product registrations and establishment license approvals, and any amendments thereto.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on regulated product marketing practices, pricing, advertising, packaging labelling and promotion.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on Competition Act marketing practice compliance, including misleading advertising, and multi-level marketing schemes.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients with respect to transportation of dangerous goods regulations.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on Canada's privacy and personal information protection laws.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on compliance and registration with Canada's Controlled Goods Program.
- Confidential clients: Advising clients on compliance with Canada’s customs regime.
- Support for mergers and acquisitions.
- "Canada overhauls its offsets program", May, 2014
- "Recent prosecution for contravention of Iran sanctions", May, 2014
- "Canada enters into free trade agreement with South Korea", April 2014
- "Canada introduces asset freeze against Ukraine's former regime", March 2014
- "Bill S-11, Safe Food for Canadians Act", Focus on International Trade, December 2012
- "Importing and Exporting Cultural Property - Key Considerations", Focus on International Trade, July 2012
- "Canada Expands its Economic Sanctions against Syria", Focus on International Trade, May 2012
- "Canada Eases Economic Sanctions Against Burma (Myanmar)", Focus on International Trade, April 2012
- "Canada Expands Its Economic Sanctions Against Iran", Focus on International Trade - November 2011
- "Recent Developments in Canadian Export Controls/Sanctions Laws", Focus on International Trade - August 2010
- “Recent Developments in the Export Control of Encryption Technology”, Focus on International Trade - July 2010
- "International Trade and Investment Treaties: Some Basic Guidelines for Recognizing Issues", 2009 LEXPERT®/American Lawyer, Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, January 2009
- "Access to Information Legislation: Protecting Business Information From Disclosure – Key Points", Focus on Advocacy and Policy, February 2009
- Recent Developments and Longstanding Pitfalls in Canadian International Trade Law: A Mini-Checklist for Foreign Counsel and Business ("How U.S. Companies Select International Outside Counsel"), October 2008
- "Recent Developments in Canadian Trade Regulation: Proposed Tariff Elimination and Sanctions against Zimbabwe", Focus on International Trade, September 2008
- "A Comparison of Canada’s Proposed Consumer Product Safety Legislation (Bill C-52) and its American Counterpart", Focus on Federal Advocacy and Policy, June 2008
- "Export Controls: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You!" Focus on Technology/IP, February 2008
- "PMPRB – Excessive Price Guidelines Review", Focus on Federal Advocacy and Public Policy - November 2007
- "National Security and International Trade Agreements - When Do the Exceptions Become the Rules?" Focus on Federal Advocacy and Public Policy, January 2007
- Co-author, "China's Competition Law for the Retail Sector: Some Observations from the Canadian Experience", Canada China Business Council's Quarterly Review, January 2010
- "Price Discrimination and Promotional Allowances Under the Competition Act: A Suggestion For Pragmatic Reform", with John Blakney, Canadian Competition Record (CCR), Volume 23, No. 1, Spring 2008
- "The North American Price Discrimination Law Debate: Considerations for Europe", with John Blakney, European Competition Law Review, Volume 29, Issue 4, 2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Ontario Bar Association, International Law Section
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, International Trade and Investment Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Member, Canadian Council of International Law
- Instructor, Michigan State University - Canadian Food Regulation