Peter is Senior Policy Advisor to Dentons Canada LLP. Peter possesses a wealth of expertise in public policy as a result of his involvement at the centre of government decision making for over thirty years.
Prior to joining Dentons, Peter was a long serving Deputy Minister in the Government of Canada. First appointed a Deputy Minister in 1991, he served as the most senior public servant in a number of federal departments including Treasury Board, Solicitor General, Citizenship and Immigration, Industry and Foreign Affairs and International Trade. At Foreign Affairs, Peter assumed the responsibilities of the Personal Representative of the Prime Minister to three G8 Summits (Sea Island, Gleneagles and St. Petersburg).
In 2000, the Governor General presented Peter with the Prime Minister’s Outstanding Achievement Award for public service leadership. In 2002, Peter was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal for public service. And in 2007, the President of Colombia named Peter grand master of the Order of San Carlos for his contribution to international relations. In December 2012, the Governor General presented Peter with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of his significant public contributions to Canada.
Peter has joined the Boards of Power Financial Corporation, IGM Financial Corporation, Magna International Inc., Northland Power, Telesat Canada, TimberWest and Energizer Resources. Peter is also a member of The United Church Foundation, The Commonwealth Games Foundation of Canada, Genome Canada, and chairs The National Police Services Advisory Council (RCMP). Since 2008, he also serves as an independent advisor to the Auditor General of Canada.
Mr. Harder also serves as the Chair of the National Arts Centre's Governance, Nominating, and Ethics Committee. In 2008, Peter was elected the President of the Canada China Business Council (CCBC).
- Recognized in the Embassy: Canada’s Foreign Policy Newspaper as one of Canada's top 80 people influencing foreign policy in his role as President of the Canada China Business Council, 2012
- Appointed a Trudeau Foundation Mentor, 2009-2010
- Recognized as a witness in the Report of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development, "Canada-U.S. Relations: Old Challenges, New Opportunities", June 2009
- Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal, 2002
- Presented with the Prime Minister’s Outstanding Achievement Award for public service leadership by the Governor General, 2000
- Parliamentary Intern, 1975-1976
In the Media
- Quoted in, "A small leap forward", Article by Stéphanie Riccio, CBA National Magazine, September 2012
- FMC Senior Policy Advisor, Peter Harder, is featured on CTV News, where he discusses in great detail the $15-billion takeover of oil and gas producer Nexen Inc. by China's CNOOC. For more information, please watch the full CTV News clip (July 24, 2012).
- Guest commentator, Time to open up trade with China?, Headline with Howard Green, Business News Network (BNN), May 23, 2012
- Canada Splits on Foreign Bid for Potash, The Wall Street Journal, November 2, 2010
- Guest commentator, Fears and Facts About China, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, October 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Director and Member of Special Advisory Committee for Energizer Resources' "Green Giant Graphite Project" in Madagascar
- Chair, National Police Services Advisory Board
- Independent Advisor to the Auditor General of Canada
- Member of the Board of Genome Canada
- Member of the Commonwealth Games Foundation
- Vice Chair of the United Church of Canada Foundation
- President of the Canada China Business Council
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Ukrainian Jewish Encounter
- Chair of the National Arts Centre’s Governance, Nominating, and Ethics Committee
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Chair of the Government of Canada Charitable Workplace Campaign which raised $30 million in support of United Way and partners, 2005
- Vice-Chair, United Way Ottawa Campaign, 2005
- Royal Bank visiting chair on Women and Work, Carleton University, 1998-2000
- Presenter, "Why Canada Engages with China", Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, California, November 15, 2012
- Speaker, "Oil Sands Industry Goals and Challenges in the New Economic Environment", 7th Annual Canadian Oil Sands Summit, Calgary, February 2, 2010
- Presenter, "Caught Between Rocks in Hard Places - Dealing with Foreign Governments on Mining Projects", FMC Mining Seminar Series, October 21, 2009
- Panelist, "Continental Dynamics of Energy and Climate Change: Policies and Politics", The Politics of Getting There, June 9, 2009
- Presenter, "Elevating Crown Governance to New Heights: Effective Chairmanship Summit", Toronto, November 2007