Peter is Senior Policy Advisor to Dentons Canada LLP. Peter possesses a wealth of expertise in public policy as a result of his involvement at the centre of government decision making for over thirty years.
Prior to joining Dentons, Peter was a long serving Deputy Minister in the Government of Canada. First appointed a Deputy Minister in 1991, he served as the most senior public servant in a number of federal departments including Treasury Board, Solicitor General, Citizenship and Immigration, Industry and Foreign Affairs and International Trade. At Foreign Affairs, Peter assumed the responsibilities of the Personal Representative of the Prime Minister to three G8 Summits (Sea Island, Gleneagles and St. Petersburg).
In 2000, the Governor General presented Peter with the Prime Minister’s Outstanding Achievement Award for public service leadership. In 2002, Peter was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal for public service. And in 2007, the President of Colombia named Peter grand master of the Order of San Carlos for his contribution to international relations. In December 2012, the Governor General presented Peter with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of his significant public contributions to Canada.
Peter has joined the Boards of Power Financial Corporation, IGM Financial Corporation, Magna International Inc., Northland Power, Telesat Canada, TimberWest and Energizer Resources. Peter is also a member of The United Church Foundation, The Commonwealth Games Foundation of Canada, Genome Canada, and chairs The National Police Services Advisory Council (RCMP). Since 2008, he also serves as an independent advisor to the Auditor General of Canada.
Mr. Harder also serves as the Chair of the National Arts Centre's Governance, Nominating, and Ethics Committee. In 2008, Peter was elected the President of the Canada China Business Council (CCBC).
- Recognized in the Embassy: Canada’s Foreign Policy Newspaper as one of Canada's top 80 people influencing foreign policy in his role as President of the Canada China Business Council, 2012
- Appointed a Trudeau Foundation Mentor, 2009-2010
- Recognized as a witness in the Report of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development, "Canada-U.S. Relations: Old Challenges, New Opportunities", June 2009
- Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal, 2002
- Presented with the Prime Minister’s Outstanding Achievement Award for public service leadership by the Governor General, 2000
- Parliamentary Intern, 1975-1976
In the Media
- Contributing author, "5 reasons Canada needs a trade deal with Korea now", Financial Post, February 11, 2014
- Quoted in, "A small leap forward", Article by Stéphanie Riccio, CBA National Magazine, September 2012
- FMC Senior Policy Advisor, Peter Harder, is featured on CTV News, where he discusses in great detail the $15-billion takeover of oil and gas producer Nexen Inc. by China's CNOOC. For more information, please watch the full CTV News clip (July 24, 2012).
- Guest commentator, Time to open up trade with China?, Headline with Howard Green, Business News Network (BNN), May 23, 2012
- Canada Splits on Foreign Bid for Potash, The Wall Street Journal, November 2, 2010
- Guest commentator, Fears and Facts About China, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, October 2010
- Co-authored by V. Peter Harder and Danylo Korbabicz, "Focus on Government: Federal Budget 2015" Dentons Insight, April 21, 2015
- "Stop being so Canadian: What Canada needs to do to truly succeed in China," Globe and Mail, June 17, 2014
- Never Mind the Pessimists - We Need a Trade Deal with the EU, iPolitics Insight, November 22, 2012
- Canada, China and Copyright Law (Presentation)
- Canada's Pro-Trade Agenda: Going Boldly Where No Government Has Gone Before (In A Long Time), The Hill Times, October 1, 2012
- It's Time to Seize the Moment in Canada-EU Trade Negotiations
- Focus on Public Policy: Federal Budget 2010 - March 2010
- Focus on Public Policy: Speech from the Throne - March 2010
- "PMPRB – Excessive Price Guidelines Review", Focus on Federal Advocacy and Public Policy - November 2007
- Focus on Climate Change: Bi-Lateral Policy Development Between Canada and the U.S.
- Focus on Federal Advocacy and Policy - June 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Director and Member, Special Advisory Committee for Energizer Resources' "Green Giant Graphite Project" in Madagascar
- Chair, National Police Services Advisory Board
- Independent Advisor, Auditor General of Canada
- Member, Board of Genome Canada
- Member, Commonwealth Games Foundation
- Vice Chair, United Church of Canada Foundation
- President, Canada China Business Council
- Member, Advisory Board of the Ukrainian Jewish Encounter
- Chair, National Arts Centre’s Governance, Nominating, and Ethics Committee
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Chair, Government of Canada Charitable Workplace Campaign which raised $30 million in support of United Way and partners, 2005
- Vice-Chair, United Way Ottawa Campaign, 2005
- Royal Bank visiting chair on Women and Work, Carleton University, 1998-2000
- Presenter, "Why Canada Engages with China", Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, California, November 15, 2012
- Speaker, "Oil Sands Industry Goals and Challenges in the New Economic Environment", 7th Annual Canadian Oil Sands Summit, Calgary, February 2, 2010
- Presenter, "Caught Between Rocks in Hard Places - Dealing with Foreign Governments on Mining Projects", FMC Mining Seminar Series, October 21, 2009
- Panelist, "Continental Dynamics of Energy and Climate Change: Policies and Politics", The Politics of Getting There, June 9, 2009
- Presenter, "Elevating Crown Governance to New Heights: Effective Chairmanship Summit", Toronto, November 2007