Rafał Mikulski is the head of the Tax Litigation practice team in Dentons’ Warsaw office. He specializes in tax and criminal litigation, representing clients before tax and administrative authorities. He provides active support during tax audits and tax disputes, advises on tax criminal issues, represents clients in tax criminal proceedings, and has broad experience in representing clients before the courts.
Rafał represents investment funds based primarily in the United States, Canada and Luxembourg before the Polish tax authorities, successfully reclaiming income tax.
In addition, Rafał has experience in supporting clients from the automotive, tobacco, and online gaming sectors during tax audits, tax litigations, criminal tax cases, and in applying for refunds of tax overpayments.
- Representing a leading European producer of medical equipment in a dispute regarding VAT on compound services during a tender for the delivery of medical equipment to a Polish hospital.
- Representing a top American automotive company operating in Poland in a tax audit regarding CIT on management services.
- Representing a leading tobacco producer in a customs dispute regarding tobacco certificates.
- Advising a leading Polish distribution company on tax and customs aspects of a fuel terminal project, including general guidelines and preparing for its implementation.
- Representing a major Polish railway operator in a restructuring dispute regarding the amounts of overdue social insurance contributions.
- Representing a board member of a leading Polish leasing company in fiscal criminal proceedings regarding post-audit irregularities in a VAT return.
- Representing a number of US and European based funds in reclaiming withholding tax on investments in Poland.
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- Counsel – Dentons (formerly Salans) (2011 to date)
- Tax Lawyer (2004 – 2011)