Rich works extensively in the areas of acquisitions and dispositions of businesses (both assets and shares), corporate reorganizations/restructurings, financial services (both for lenders and borrowers), and general corporate/commercial matters. Major industries served include banks and other financial institutions, oil & gas service companies, food processing companies, natural gas compression companies, remote site accommodation and catering companies and other companies involved in the oil & gas industry.
- Counsel to Weatherford International Ltd. On its acquisition of Iron Derrickman Ltd.
- Co-Counsel for Lilydale Inc with respect to its acquisition by way of plan of arrangement by Sofina Foods Inc.
- Co-Counsel to Lilydale Co-operative Limited / Lilydale Inc. in connection with its corporate conversion and restructuring pursuant to a plan of arrangement
- Co-Counsel to Weatherford International, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Energy Rentals Inc.
- Co-Counsel to Weatherford International, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Alpine Oil Services Corporation pursuant to a plan of arrangement involving exchangeable shares
- Co-Counsel to PTI Group (camp services) in connection with the acquisition and combination of PTI Group with other corporate entities to form Oil States International, Inc.
- Counsel to PTI Group Inc. in relation to its contract to provide remote site camp and catering services to Imperial Oil for its Kearl project
- Co-Counsel to Lilydale Inc. with respect to its merger with Sofina Foods Inc. and the amendments to its syndicated credit facilities
- Counsel to The City of Calgary on its provision of increased credit facilities of $202.5 million to Calgary Municipal Land Corporation
- Counsel to The City of Calgary in relation to a $185.5 million credit facility and financing to Calgary Exhibition and Stampede Limited
- Counsel to Weatherford International Ltd. on its acquisition of Chemserv Products Inc.
- Canadian counsel for Weatherford International Ltd. in its acquisition of the energy services division and the international drilling rig division of Precision Drilling Corporation for US$2.7 billion
- Canadian counsel for Weatherford International Ltd. with respect to various acquisitions and dispositions (including by way of plans of arrangement and exchangeable share transactions), cross-border credit facilities and general corporate/commercial matters
- Canadian counsel for various oil & gas service companies based in Houston with respect to acquisitions and dispositions (including by way of plans of arrangement and exchangeable share transactions), cross-border credit facilities and general corporate/commercial matters
- Co-Counsel for Norama Ltd. and North American Equipment Ltd. in connection with the sale of its specialized construction services businesses to The Sterling Group, L.P. for an amount in excess of $400 million
- Counsel for various banks and financial institutions with respect to syndicated credit facilities, club arrangements, stand alone credit facilities and priority agreements
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Canada 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 as a leading lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Listed by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 as one of Canada's repeatedly recommended lawyers for Banking & Financial Institutions Law
- Listed in Lexpert 2006 as Repeatedly Recommended for Corporate/Commercial Matters
Activities and Affiliations
- Former member of the National Partnership Board for the Edmonton Office
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Edmonton Bar Association
- Former manager of the Financial Services Practice Group in the Edmonton Office
- Former member of the FMC Board of Directors in the Edmonton Office
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Past Volunteer, Habitat of Humanity, 2009, 2005, 2004
- Past Volunteer, Weekend to End Breast Cancer, 2006
- Past volunteer, By-Law Committee of the Edmonton SPCA
- Past volunteer, By-Law Committee for the Riverbend Community League
- Past Instructor, Canadian Bar Association - Securities Transfer Act
- Past instructor, Legal Education Society of Alberta - Commercial Transactions
- Past instructor, Bar Admission Courses – Sale of a Business, Legal Writing, Debt Financing and
- Secured Transactions
- Presenter, Converting Employees to Owners-Employee Share Purchase Plans - FMC Breakfast for the Mind Series, Fall 2010