Ross is a partner with Dentons Canada LLP's Financial Services and Insolvency and Restructuring Groups. His practice includes syndicated loan financings, project financings, acquisition financings and other corporate debt financings. He acts for creditors, receivers and corporate debtors in dealing with loan defaults, security enforcement, corporate insolvency restructurings and distress debt transactions. He also advises domestic and foreign financial institutions on the development of new products, including mortgage and other lending products.
- Grant Forest Products Inc.: Acting as counsel to Grant Forest Products Inc. and its subsidiaries in their proceedings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- First Uranium: Acting as counsel to First Uranium in connection with its CA$405 million sale of its principal operating assets.
- Tenor Capital Management: Acting as counsel to the DIP lender to Crystallex International Corporation in its CCAA / Chapter 15 proceedings.
- Catalyst Paper Corporation: Advising the Ad Hoc Group of First Lien Lenders of Catalyst Paper Corporation and certain of its subsidiaries in their Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act/Chapter 15 proceedings.
- New Gold Inc.: Acting as counsel on the US$1.6 billion business combination with Metallica Resources Inc. and Peak Gold Ltd.
- Heritage Partners: Acting as counsel on the CA$24.9 million equity investment in Centra Industries Inc.
- Trident: Acting as counsel in connection with its CCAA restructuring plan.
- Consumer products manufacturer: Acting as counsel to a consumer products manufacturer in connection with its asset based lending facility provided by a syndicate of banks and insurers.
- Mining corporation: Acting as counsel to a uranium mining corporation in connection with its public issue of notes.
- Confidential client: Acting as counsel to a pension fund in connection with the enforcement of its security charging several retirement homes.
- Restaurant limited partnerships: Restructuring of numerous restaurant limited partnerships using foreclosures, receiverships or other restructuring methods.
- Major Canadian bank: Assisting clients with respect to purchases and sales of distress debt.
- Genesys Capital Partners Inc.: Acting for this major secured creditor and equity holder of Affinium Pharmaceuticals Inc. in connection with its successful reorganization proceedings under the BIA.
- Hunjan International Inc.: Acting as counsel with respect to its proceedings under the CCAA and the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Major Canadian bank: Acting as counsel for a major Canadian bank in connection with the insolvency of NRI Manufacturing Inc., a supplier of rubber automobile and industrial products and in connection with its debtor in possession financing.
- Thistle Mining Inc.: Assisting a Yukon mining corporation with subsidiaries in the Philippines and South Africa with its insolvency restructuring under the CCAA.
- Canadian cable operator: Acting as counsel to a Canadian cable operator on its acquisition of a European cable corporation and related secured debt.
- U.S. Bank: Acting as counsel to a U.S. bank in connection with its acquisition of a Canadian financing corporation.
- Canadian receivables factorer: Advising a Canadian receivables factorer with respect to numerous transactions.
- Canadian credit union: Assisting a Canadian credit union with the preparation and negotiation of agreements relating to the supply of cash for automatic banking machines.
- Canadian branch of a U.S. bank: Advising the Canadian branch of a U.S. bank concerning its obligations under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Banking and Finance Law (2006–2016)
- Recognized by Chambers Global as a leading lawyer in the area of Banking & Finance (Canada) (2005–2014)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal as a leading lawyer in the area of Banking (2007, 2008)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of Banking (2007, 2008)
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Occasional lecturer for various groups, including the Law Society of Upper Canada and Insight Educational Services
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Served on the board of directors of a Toronto youth charity for many years
- Served on the Scarborough and Metropolitan Toronto public school boards
- Assisted with the establishment of a camping bursary fund
- Skiing, board sailing, camping, and sailing
- Speaker, "D&O Liabilities in an Insolvency Context: What They May Be and What Directors Can Do", Continuing Professional Development Bootcamp, November 14, 2012
- Presentations to clients and others concerning a wide range of topics including forbearance agreements, effect of privacy legislation on banks, trading in distress debt and amendments to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act