Shaira is an Associate with the Dentons Taxation Group. Her practice focuses on domestic and international corporate tax planning and litigation.
Shaira joined the firm as a summer student in 2010 and completed her articles in 2012-2013. As a student, she completed a secondment in the Wealth Management Group at the Royal Bank of Canada.
Shaira has appeared before the Tax Court of Canada on a pro bono basis.
- Advising MMG on its role leading a consortium to acquire the Las Bambas copper project in Peru from GlencoreXstrata for US$5.85 billion.
- “2013 Canadian Tax Foundation Roundtable - Part 2”, Tax Topics, no. 2180-81, December 19, 2013
- “2013 Canadian Tax Foundation Roundtable - Part 1”, Tax Topics, no. 2179, December 12, 2013
- “CRA’s New Pre-Rulings Consultations Service”, Canadian Tax Litigation, November 29, 2013
- “Highlights from the Toronto Centre CRA & Professionals Group Breakfast Seminar (Objections and Appeals) – November 6, 2013”, Canadian Tax Litigation, November 7, 2013
- “Can Taxpayers Successfully Sue the CRA for Negligence?”, CCH Tax Topics, October 17, 2013
- “The Crown Succeeds on a Motion to Strike a Portion of the Taxpayer’s Pleading: Golini v. The Queen", Canadian Tax Litigation, October 2, 2013
- “GAAR at 25: Panelists Discuss Lessons Learned and Challenges”, Canadian Tax Litigation, September 27, 2013
- “Will the Tax Court of Canada entertain a determination of a question of law where the focus is on future assessments?”, Canadian Tax Litigation, September 10, 2013
- “Get it right the first time: Newfoundland Transshipment Ltd. v. The Queen”, Canadian Tax Litigation, August 29, 2013
- “Waiving rights of objection and appeal: SCC declines to hear the taxpayer’s appeal in Taylor v. The Queen”, Canadian Tax Litigation, August 26, 2013
- “Supreme Court dismisses leave application in Johnson v. The Queen”, Canadian Tax Litigation, March 27, 2013
- “Tax Court of Canada Allows Charitable Gift Treatment for Taxpayer’s Cash Contribution: Berg v. The Queen”, Canadian Tax Litigation, December 3, 2012
- “Canada Revenue Agency Toronto Centre Tax Services Office Describes Current Audit Issues”, Canadian Tax Litigation, November 14, 2012"
- "The Queen v. Johnson: Investigating the Tax Treatment of Ponzi Schemes”, Ontario Bar Association: Taxation Law Section, March 2013
- “Listing of Chinese Companies on the Toronto Stock Exchange or TSX Venture Exchange”, CCBC's Business Forum Magazine, Fall/Winter 2012
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Ontario Bar Association