Susan Paul has successfully handled the competition law and Investment Canada aspects of numerous mergers and acquisitions. Susan regularly advises clients on other aspects of competition law, including reviewable practices and marketing practices.
She is experienced representing clients in international and criminal investigations and prosecutions involving the Competition Bureau in Canada and competition authorities in the United States and Europe.
Susan also has extensive experience in class action litigation, including proceedings relating to criminal investigations under the Competition Act. She has acted on substantial class actions by those claiming damages as a result of anti-competitive conduct, including the Chadha v. Bayer case on indirect purchaser issues.
Canadian competition counsel to Bayer in connection with Bayer’s $14.2 billion acquisition of the over-the-counter and consumer personal care business of Merck & Co., Inc.
Canadian counsel to Patheon Inc. (TSX: PTI), a leading provider of contract development and manufacturing services to the global pharmaceutical industry, in its US$2.6 billion going private transaction by way of plan of arrangement, and business combination with DSM’s pharmaceutical products business
Counsel to Osisko Mining Corporation in its proposed $550 million acquisition of Queenston Mining Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
Canadian counsel to TerreStar Networks Inc. in connection with its CCAA recognition proceedings of TerreStar's chapter 11 cases
Counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Aeroquest International Limited in its business combination with Geotech Ltd.
Canadian Counsel to Andean Resources Limited with respect to its $3.6 billion acquisition by Goldcorp Inc.
Counsel to Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited with respect to its $4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
Counsel to Boralex Inc. on its $226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund
Acted as Canadian Counsel to Aon Corporation in respect of its acquisition of Hewitt Associates, Inc.
Counsel to Grant Forest Products Inc. on the CCAA and US Bankruptcy Court approved acquisition of its OSB facilities by Georgia-Pacific LLC for US$400 million
Canadian Counsel to Aon Corporation on its $4.9 billion merger with Hewitt Associates Inc.
Represented Boralex Inc. on its acquisition of all outstanding trust units of Boralex Power Income Fund
Counsel to IAMGOLD Corporation on its $275 million acquisition of Orezone Resources Inc. (2009)
Counsel to Orlando Corporation on the acquisition of an industrial portfolio of eight buildings and more than 2 million square feet in the western GTA
Counsel to Gold Eagle Mines Ltd. in its $1.5 billion friendly acquisition by Goldcorp Inc.
Counsel to two automobile manufacturer defendants in a class action against seven manufacturers under the Competition Act in relation to the issue of U.S. v. Canada price differentials and warranties
Counsel to Bruce Edmeades Co. and Martin-Brower of Canada Co. on the $10 million acquisition of Bruce Edmeades Co. by Colabor Income Fund
Counsel to New Gold Inc. on the US$1.6 billion business combination with Metallica Resources Inc. and Peak Gold Ltd.
Counsel to Redcliff Realty Advisors, Inc. on $90.3 million sale of City Centre Plaza, a Class A office building in Mississauga, Ontario
Represented Rio Narcea Gold Mines, Ltd. in Lundin Mining Corporation’s $956 million take-over bid for Rio Narcea (2007)
Pogo Producing Co. of Houston, Texas, on its US$2 billion sale of its Calgary-based oil and gas company, Northrock Resources Ltd., to Abu Dhabi National Energy Co. (TAQA)
Partner on the team representing the first nation-wide class action in Canada and first indirect purchaser class action in Canada
Defending a pharmaceutical company in class action litigation relating to the worldwide withdrawal of a pharmaceutical product
Representing a multinational company in class proceedings in Canada relating to alleged anti-competitive conduct
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Distinguished Peer Review Rating
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Cartels & Leniency 2013 Edition
- "Canada: Overview", Global Competition Review, The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies 2012 - June 2012
- "The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Cartels & Leniency 2012: Chapter 10 - Canada", Global Legal Group, November 2011
- "New Guidance on Hostile Transactions", Focus on Competition | Antitrust, August 2011
- "Canada: Overview", Global Competition Review, The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies 2011 - July 2011
- Focus on Competition | Antitrust - July 2011
- "Canada: Overview", Global Competition Review, The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies 2010 - May 2010
- "Canada: Cartels", Global Competition Review: The Antitrust Review of the Americas - 2010
- Amendments to Canada’s Competition Laws - March 2009
- "Immunity Programme under the Canadian Competition Act Q&A", PLC Cross-border Competition and Leniency Handbooks, March 2008
- "Canada Overview", Global Competition Review, The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies - 2008
- Canadian Competition Law 2006: The Year in Review
- Co-Author, "Canada Overview", The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies, Global Competition Review
- Co-Author, Canadian Chapter, Cartels & Leniency, Global Legal Group
- Co-Author, "Canada: Cartels", The Antitrust Review of the Americas, Global Competition Review
- Co-Author, Canadian Chapter, "Product Liability in the Asia Pacific", 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions
- Co-Author, Focus on Competition | Antitrust: Amendments to Canada's Competition Laws
- Co-Author, Focus on Competition | Antitrust: Proposed Amendments to Canada's Competition Laws
- Co-Author, Focus on Competition | Antitrust: Immunity Programme under the Canadian Competition Act Q&A
Activities and Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Advocates’ Society
- Speaker, "What You Need to Know About the Competition Act and the Investment Canada Act", Continuing Professional Development Bootcamp, November 30, 2011