Tom is a partner and chair of the National Technology Transactions Law Group. His practice focuses extensively on technology, intellectual property, privacy and related commercial legal issues for clients in the energy, financial institution, health, forestry, information technology and telecommunications industry sectors.
Tom has significant experience negotiating complex systems integration, software development, collaboration, research and development, joint venture, distribution, OEM, alliance, reseller and technology transfer agreements. His experience extends to leading or advising on merger and acquisition transactions involving technology, IP and commercial legal issues.
In addition to technology and other industry sector clients that Tom has represented at Dentons, he has extensive legal and business experience in the software and telecommunications businesses. Tom’s unique combination of business and legal experience allows him to provide practical, business-focused legal advice to his clients.
Katz Group Canada Inc.: Counsel in sale of a large portion of its independent banner and franchise business to McKesson Corporation.
Confidential clients: Tom was lead counsel to two Alberta-based financial institutions in the negotiation of their core banking system replacement transactions.
Government of Alberta’s SuperNet project: Tom has been lead counsel on significant IT and telecommunications projects, including the Government of Alberta’s SuperNet project, which involved the Government of Alberta retaining a private consortium led by Bell Canada, to build and operate a network capable of providing high speed, Internet Protocol services throughout the Province of Alberta, the first such network of its kind in North America.
Capital Health: In the IT/Health sector Tom acted for Capital Health (now Alberta Health Services), one of the largest integrated health systems in Canada, in connection with its netCARE initiative, Canada’s first major regional electronic health record implementation that involved a consortium of five technology companies in three countries.
- BP Canada Energy: Counsel on the CA$650 million sale to Devon NEC Corporation of a 50% interest in its Pike oilsands properties and its subsequent joint venture agreement to develop these properties with Devon Energy (June 2010).
Confidential client: Tom has provided IP and technology licensing advice to one of the significant oil sands development and extraction companies in its construction and development of a new plant in Fort McMurray.
- Recognized by Legal 500 Canada 2015 in the area of Technology, Media and Telecoms.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the areas of Information Technology Law (2011-2015), Intellectual Property Law (2011-2015) and Technology Law (2013-2015)
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2014, 2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Computer & IT Law
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2011, 2013-2015) as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Technology Transactions
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2012 as "Lawyer of the Year" in Intellectual Property Law
- Recommended by PLC Which lawyer? in the PLC Outsourcing multi-jurisdictional guide 2012 in the area of Outsourcing
- Recognized by IAM Licensing 250: The World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers 2011
Activities and Affiliations
- Former member, Board of Directors, Canadian IT Law Association
- Co-chair, 2004 Annual Conference, Canadian IT Law Association
- Affiliate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Licensing Executive Society (Canada and U.S.)
- Past leader, pre-commercialization and commercialization group of Economic Edmonton Development Corporation’s Nanotechnology and Microsystems Cluster Group and a former member of the External Advisory Group on Business Development to the National Institute for Nanotechnology
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Proud participant in FMC's MOvember fundraiser which involves participants growing a moustache during the month of November in order to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer
- Tom has been very involved in coaching soccer, baseball, hockey and basketball for the past 10 years
- Venture Alberta participant
- MC, "Indemnity, Insurance, Waiver and Warranty Provisions of the CCDC 2 – Stipulated Price Contract" Construction Seminar, Edmonton November 13, 2014
- Presenter, "Liquidated damages in construction", Dentons Construction Breakfast for the Mind Seminar, June 11, 2014
- Presenter, "Best Practices in Negotiating IT Contracts: A Lawyer's Guide for Business People" Conference, Calgary, May 10, 2012
- Presenter, "Procurement and Tendering" - FMC Breakfast for the Mind Series, Winter 2011
- Presenter, "IP & Privacy Issues" - FMC Breakfast for the Mind Series, Winter 2011
- Presenter, "Best Practices in Negotiating IT Contracts: Lawyer's Guide for Business People", IT.CAN, Edmonton, October 6, 2010
- "Protecting Intellectual Property Rights in the Energy Sector" - presented session on "Protecting IP Rights in Joint Venture and Partnership Agreements" at Canadian Institute conference in Calgary, October 30 to 31, 2007
- “Intellectual Property – Top 10 List”, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (Edmonton) November 2006
- “IP Licensing Workshop”, Legal Education Society of Alberta (Calgary and Edmonton), October 2006
- “Checklist for Intellectual Property in Commercial Transactions”, Insight Information’s Effective Strategies for Conducting Legal and Financial Due Diligence (Calgary), June 2006
- “Licensing: An Analytical Framework”, The Eighth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference (Calgary) October 2004
- “IT Corporate Counsel Issues”, The Fifth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference (Vancouver), October 2001