With deep roots in the heart of Canada's energy industry and Western business capital, the Calgary office of Dentons provides business-minded counsel in a wide range of areas, from initial investment, financing, and tax planning through project development, approvals, implementation, regulation, and disputes.
Our Calgary office has more than 100 lawyers at its disposal—that’s more than many of the country’s national law firms have in Western Canada.
Turn to Dentons Calgary for a wealth of experience in energy, financial services (including domestic and international investment), capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, insolvency and restructuring, litigation, arbitration, dispute resolution, tax planning, and tax litigation. Our trusted, experienced professionals will work with you to understand your business objectives and develop a strategic plan to best see them accomplished.
For more than a century, we’ve grown and diversified with the community around us. Leverage that experience and our global perspective to gain new insight on potential solutions to your toughest challenges.
- BP Canada: Advising on the sale of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) business to Plains Mainstream Canada ULC, a wholly owned subsidiary, for $1.67 billion. This is the most recent of several billion-dollar-plus transactions where Dentons has partnered with BP. The NGL business owns, operates and has contractual rights to a wide range of assets from both production and distribution functions, from extraction though to wholesale distribution of NGL products across Canada and in the Midwest United States.
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising on its C$1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation.
- Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline: Advising on all aspects of the proposed dual pipeline between Edmonton, AB, and Kitimat, BC, and the marine terminal at Kitimat. Counseling the client during environmental assessments and National Energy Board proceedings and providing advice with respect to negotiations with aboriginal groups and governments, shipping and navigation reviews, commercial structuring, finance and construction.
- EnCana Corporation: Counsel to dealers in connection with the establishment of EnCana Corporation’s $2 billion medium term note program (2011)
- HRT Participações em Petróleo S.A.: Advising on the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of UNX Energy Corp. (UNX) by way of plan of arrangement. Pursuant to the Arrangement, shareholders of UNX received common shares of HRT which were put on deposit with Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas in exchange for global depositary shares representing the HRT Shares. Each such Global Depositary Share represents a 1/100th interest in an underlying HRT Share and is held by the Depositary through a depositary receipt program. Under the Arrangement, 64,277,400 Global Depositary Shares were issued (representing 642,774 HRT Shares on deposit with the Depositary) to acquire all of the outstanding shares of UNX in a transaction that valued UNX at approximately $700 million. The Global Depositary Shares were listed on the TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV) at the opening of markets on April 29, 2011 under the symbol "HRP" and the UNX Shares have been voluntarily delisted from the TSXV. This is only the third listing of depositary shares in Canada and the first transaction where Canadian-listed depositary shares were issued as consideration. A global depositary share program presents an innovative and effective alternative for foreign companies seeking to invest and list in Canada.
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc.: Serving as counsel to subsidiary NOV Distribution Services ULC with respect to its $240 million acquisition of CE Franklin.
- Province of Alberta: Counsel to the Province of Alberta regarding the constitutionality of proposed federal legislation to create a single national securities regulatory system
Energy Trading, Marketing, and DerivativesJanuary 20, 2014
On January 2, 2014, Alberta Securities Commission (“ASC”) staff published Staff Notice 91-704 Over-the-Counter Derivatives Transactions (“ASC Staff Notice 91-704”) summarizing the current regulatory framework governing over-the-counter (“OTC”) derivatives trades in Alberta. Read moreVox Tax: Cross border exchange of information proceduresDecember 5, 2013
This webinar provided updates on cross-border tax structuring for the United States and Canada. Register to watch an archived copy of the webcast, send in your questions to our Western European tax team, and participate in polling sessions on these topics. Read moreAboriginal Law (Canada)October 2, 2013
On August 16, 2013 the Government of Alberta (“Alberta”) issued a Policy on Consultation with First Nations on Land and Natural Resource Management, 2013 (the “New Policy”). This New Policy will replace the existing policy issued in 2005 (the “Existing Policy”). One of the most significant changes in the New Policy is the establishment of an Alberta Aboriginal consultation office. Read more
View all insights for Calgary
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
Careers in CanadaJanuary 15, 2014
Dentons Canada LLP is pleased to announce its partnership with Imperial Oil to provide an Internationally Trained Lawyer (ITL) Articling Program in Calgary. This program is geared to new Canadians who are trained and practiced lawyers in their home countries, now trying to become licensed to practice their profession in Canada. Read moreRecognitionJanuary 8, 2014
Dentons Canada LLP is proud to announce that five of its lawyers have been appointed as Queen’s Counsel in the province of Alberta for their contributions to the legal profession and to their communities. Read moreAs diverse as you areMay 22, 2013
Dentons Canada LLP is pleased to announce that Chris Pinnington, CEO, has signed the Statement of Principles of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network, as part of the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in the legal community. Read more
View all press releases for Calgary