John is a partner in the Energy Group at Dentons Canada LLP. John has extensive experience advising clients in the energy sector, including in-house experience at a major oil company. John co-leads the Cleantech and Emissions Trading Group and brings his energy and cleantech experience and insights to this emerging area of practice.
John works closely with energy clients on their corporate commercial matters and has significant experience with large oil sands construction and infrastructure projects, cleantech projects and technology development, mergers and acquisitions and operational matters. John also advises energy and cleantech clients on climate change strategy, emissions trading and renewable energy projects.
As a leading climate change and cleantech practitioner, John has advised on three of Alberta's first carbon capture and sequestration projects and has co-authored a report for Alberta Economic Development Authority on Enhanced Oil Recovery in Carbon Capture and Storage.
Oldman 2 Wind Farm Limited: Counsel to an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Mainstream Renewable Power Limited, on their CA$75 million project construction credit facility for the construction of a wind energy facility consisting of 20 individual wind units located in southern Alberta, Canada with a nameplate capacity of 46 megawatt (MW).
BP Canada: Counsel in connection with its US$1.67 billion agreement to sell its Canadian natural gas liquids business to Plains Midstream Canada.
Statoil Canada: Counsel on EPC Agreement for its Leismer Oil Sands facility expansion.
Enhance Energy: Counsel on its EPCM Agreement for the Alberta Carbon Trunkline.
BP Canada Energy: Counsel on the CA$3.25 billion sale of upstream natural gas assets to Apache Canada.
BP Canada Energy: Counsel on the CA$650 million sale to Devon NEC Corporation of a 50% interest in its Pike oilsands properties and its subsequent joint venture agreement to develop these properties with Devon Energy (June 2010).
Sasol Petroleum International: Counsel on its CA$1.05 billion agreement to acquire from Talisman Energy a 50% stake in their Farrell Creek shale gas assets located in B.C.’s Montney basin
Confidential client: Counsel to several regulated emitters and Cleantech project owners and developers on emissions trading transactions under the Alberta Climate Change regulations.
Confidential client: Counsel on one of Alberta's first pilot Carbon Capture and Storage Projects and advised on one of Alberta's largest pilot Enhanced Oil Recovery Projects.
Confidential client: Counsel to the owner on the engineering, procurement and construction management of the Alberta Carbon Trunkline project for Carbon Capture, Transportation and EOR injection.
Confidential client: Counsel to major international oil and gas producer on EPC matters related to its oil sands project in Alberta.
Confidential client: Counsel to the owner on engineering, procurement and construction projects on one of Alberta's largest oil sands project, including the drafting and negotiating of the Secondary Upgrader EPCM Agreement with an international engineering and construction firm.
Confidential client: Counsel to wind and run-of-river power producer on lease acquisitions, land and water permitting, offset ownership and offset project development.
Confidential client: Counsel on the development of Alberta's first climate exchange.
- John recently appeared on the cover of Lexpert Magazine as one of Canada’s leading Cleantech lawyers and has been quoted on several occasions in the National Post and Oilweek Magazine
In the Media
- "Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction in Ontario: A Discussion Paper from the Provincial Government", Focus on Cleantech | Climate Change, February 2013
- Renewable Fuel Regulations: Important New Federal Regulations Affecting the Canadian Fuel Industry
- Focus on Climate Change - May 2010
- U.S. Climate Change Litigation, Focus on Climate Change, December 2009
- A Canadian Perspective "How the Proposed American Power Act Could Impact Canada", Trading Carbon Magazine, July/August 2010.
- Author of "A Canadian Perspective", PointCarbon, July/August 2010
- "The Development of Carbon Emissions Trading in Canada", Alberta Law Review, Volume 46, No. 2 (April 2009) p. 377. Goetz, De Castro, Taylor and Haugen-Kozura, presented at the CPLF 47th Annual Research Seminar in Oil and Gas, June 2008
- "Enhanced Oil Recovery through Carbon Capture and Storage – An Opportunity for Alberta", January 2009, Alberta Economic Development Authority, co-author
- "Shortage of CO2 Credits Predicted Under Federal Regulatory Scheme", Green Business, Digital, January 14, 2009
- "A Summary of Canada's New GHG Emissions Framework", (Goetz, Rogers), Oilsands Review, March 2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Director, Children's Cottage, Calgary (2006-current)
- Director, North American Climate Exchange (NACX)
- Director, Seair Inc. (Top 5 Cleantech Companies TMX 2012 Venture 50)
- Chairman, Expansion Committee, Children's Cottage, (2007-2008)
- Consulted on report to Federal Environment Minister's office – "Overview of the Impact of Offset Credit Trading Programs" – April 2009
- Past instructor at CAPLA Freehold Lease Seminars, 2005-2008
- Instructor/Presenter, University of Alberta, M.B.A. program and CABREE, "Greenhouse Gas Regulation, Risk and Uncertainties", March 2009
- Presenter, "Update on GHG Regulation and Emissions Trading in Alberta and other Jurisdications", Canadian Institute Forum on Environmental Law & Regulation in Alberta, Calgary, June 19, 2012
- Presenter, "The Impact of Offsets and REC’s on the Economics of Wind Projects in Alberta", CanWEA 2011, Vancouver, October 2011
- Presenter, "The Economic Impact of Cleantech on Oil & Gas Operations", AIPN International Conference, Banff, Alberta, September 13-16, 2011
- Presenter, "US EPA GHG Emissions Regulations: Potential Canadian Impact", University of Calgary, Faculty of Law Seminar, OIL SANDS: NAVIGATING THE LEGAL & REGULATORY TERRAIN, May 11, 2011
- Co-Presenter, "Programs Supporting Cleantech and Clean Energy Development in Canada", Cleantech Forum, San Francisco, March 2011
- Presenter, "Programs Supporting Renewable and Clean Energy Development in Canada", The International Economic Forum of the Americas Toronto Forum for Global Cities 4th Annual Conference, Toronto, November 2010 [ Click to view video: Meeting the Challenge of Energy Demand: Leadership and Incentive ]
- Presenter, "Programs Stimulating Renewable Energy Development and Investment Canada", Texas Renewables 2010 Conference, November 7, 2010, San Antonio, Texas
- Presenter, "Compliance Strategies for Emitters – Inside and Outside the Box", Canadian Institute’s Transmission and Integrating New Power into the Grid Conference, Calgary, April 2010
- Presenter, "Developments in Alberta's Emissions Trading Landscape", Second Annual Emissions Trading Conference, Federated Press, April 2009
- Presenter, "Federal and Provincial Greenhouse Gas Regulation – Who's on First?" Canadian Bar Association, Natural Resources Subsection, 2008
- Presenter, "Emissions Regulation and CCS", Emerging Risk Issues in the Oil Sands Conference, Calgary, November 2008
- Co-Presenter, "Developments in Emissions Trading in Canada", Canadian Petroleum Law Federation Conference, Jasper, Alberta, June 2008
- Presenter, "The Impact of GHG Regulations on Energy Contracts", Energy Contracts Conference, Federated Press, March 2007