John Harrington is a member of Dentons'
Tax practice. He advises clients on inbound and outbound
transactional and compliance issues, international tax legislative,
regulatory, and treaty matters, and a variety of domestic tax
issues. John has extensive experience in dealing with the foreign
tax credit, subpart F, cross-border activities of companies and
individuals, and other international tax issues.
Prior to joining Dentons, John served as international tax counsel for the Department of Treasury. At the Treasury Department, he worked closely with the IRS in developing regulations and other administrative guidance. He represented the Treasury Department and worked with Congressional committees and staff on tax treaties and international tax aspects of legislation. He has also played an active role in tax treaty negotiations and in drafting technical explanations and revisions to existing treaties. John worked closely with tax officials in other countries and he served as the United States representative at meetings of the OECD Committee on Fiscal Affairs and at WTO meetings on tax-related trade disputes.
Before joining the Treasury Department, John was a tax counsel on the US House Committee on Ways and Means. On the committee staff, John was responsible for international, pass-through entities, financial institutions and products, real estate, environment, energy, and other tax issues. John is a frequent speaker and panelist at tax conferences.
- "Tax Reform: Searching for a Fast Track to an Unknown Destination," Tax Notes, March 4, 2013
- "We've Seen the Fiscal Cliff Movie Before," Roll Call, November 8, 2012
- Author, "Overarching Issues Involving US Taxes on International Business Transactions," Navigating Tax Issues in International Business Transactions: Leading Lawyers on Handling Cross-Border Tax Regulations, November 2012
- "Overview of US Tax Treaties," Basics of International Taxation, Practising Law Institute, July 24, 2012
- "Taking a New (and Troubled) Look at Expiring Tax Provisions," Tax Notes, March 19, 2012
- Statement before Select Revenue Measures Subcommittee of Committee on Ways and Means, Hearing on International Tax Reform Discussion Draft, November 17, 2011
- "When Taxes Are Not Your Only Trouble," Tax Notes International, October 3, 2011
- "IRS Issues Final 'Structured Passive Investment Arrangement' Regulations and New Temporary Regulations for Withholding Taxes," Dentons Client Alert, July 15, 2011
- "10 Signs Congress Is Ready for Tax Reform," Tax Notes, January 10, 2011
- "No Dispute about the Increasing Importance of Arbitration in Tax Treaties," Tax Notes International, September 6, 2010