Julie joined our offices in Calgary as an articling student in 2009 and is now an associate practising in the Energy, Corporate Commercial and Securities groups of the Toronto office. Julie is also a member of our emerging Climate Change, Cleantech and Emissions Trading group. She is a member of the bar in Alberta and Ontario.
Julie's practice focuses on energy, corporate finance, securities, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate commercial law. Julie has experience in a variety of transactions, including due diligence and advising with respect to both asset and share purchase and sale transactions, project finance, joint ventures, and related energy and commercial contracts. Julie also provides advice to companies with respect to their public disclosure requirements, corporate governance practices and other regulatory compliance matters. Julie has extensive experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements for the financing, construction and operation of renewable energy projects, including EPC agreements, power purchase agreements, connection agreements, supplier agreements, lender agreements and associated commercial agreements. In addition, Julie advises energy and cleantech clients on climate change strategy, emissions trading, regulatory compliance and permitting, cleantech projects and renewable energy projects.
- Julie has acted for:
- several developers of renewable energy projects under Ontario’s Feed-In-Tariff Program
- several large institutional lenders in connection with project financing for the development, construction and operation of renewable energy projects in Ontario
- a major integrated energy company with respect to the structuring and negotiation of arrangements put in place as a result of the Renewable Fuels Regulations SOR/2010-189
- National Bank of Canada: Counsel to the Administrative Agent and the Lenders providing credit facilities in the aggregate amount of CA$215 million for the development, construction and commissioning of 4 solar projects in Ontario totaling 38.5 MW. The financing is also to be used in connection with the subsequent acquisition of the solar projects by BluEarth Renewables Inc. from CSI Solar Project 16 Inc.
- Counsel to Toronto Community Housing Corporation with respect to its annual negotiation and acquisition of natural gas
- Counsel to Bedrocan Cannabis Corp. (TSXV:BED) on its qualifying transaction and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange
- Counsel to Premier Gold Corporation (TSX: PG) and Premier Royalty Corporation in connection with the reverse takeover transaction with Bridgeport Ventures Inc. with a value of approximately C$100 million
- Counsel to Andina Minerals Inc. (TSXV: ADM) on its acquisition by take-over bid and compulsory acquisition by Hochschild Mining PLC for approximately C$103 million
- Counsel to Premier Royalty Corporation in connection with its acquisition from Aberdeen International Inc. of a 1% net smelter return royalty on gold produced from Village Main Reef Limited's Buffelsfontein Mine and First Uranium Corporation's Mine Waste Solutions tailings recovery project in the Republic of South Africa for C$20.9 million
- Counsel to BP Canada in connection with its US$1.67 billion agreement to sell its Canadian natural gas liquids business to Plains Midstream Canada
- "Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction in Ontario: A Discussion Paper from the Provincial Government", Focus on Cleantech | Climate Change, February 2013
- Renewable Fuel Regulations: Important New Federal Regulations Affecting the Canadian Fuel Industry
- "New British Columbia Oil and Gas Regulations", Focus on Energy, October 2010
- Focus on Climate Change - May 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
- Member, Women of Wind Energy
- Assisted, "Programs Supporting Cleantech and Clean Energy Development in Canada", Cleantech Forum, San Francisco, March 2011