Mark is Chair of the firm’s Tax Group in Edmonton and Vice-Chair for Tax Planning of the National Tax Practice. Mark obtained his Chartered Accountant designation and completed the CICA In-Depth tax course with a multinational accounting firm prior to obtaining his law degree from the University of Alberta. Mark has nearly 35 years of combined accounting and legal experience in providing income tax advice to corporations and their shareholders.
Mark focuses primarily on taxation issues associated with mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and international taxation. He also teaches and authors many taxation courses each year. Mark is actively involved in the community and can usually be found coaching soccer and hockey in the evenings and weekends.
- Matrikon Inc.: Counsel on its US$139 million acquisition by Honeywell International Inc.
- Confidential client: Tax planning related to the restructuring one of Canada’s largest, and oldest, agricultural cooperatives to business corporation.
Confidential client: CA$66 million sale of a private corporation to two private equity groups.
Confidential client: CA$70 million sale of a large retail corporation to private investors.
Confidential client: Employee share ownership plan for a large, privately-held corporation.
- Confidential client: Negotiating and structuring a CA$16.5 million sale of a western Canadian drilling contractor to private investors.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Tax Law (2012-2015)
- Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Corporate Tax
Honors and Awards
Honour of Fellow of the Chartered Accountants, Institute of Chartered Accountants
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta, Canadian Tax Foundation, ICAA, CGAA, CMAA
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
- Member, Edmonton Tax Lawyers and Accountants Discussion Group
- Member, CBA Taxation North
- Income tax instructor, Universities of Alberta (Faculty of Law), British Columbia (Faculty of Commerce) and Lethbridge (Faculty of Management), Institute of Chartered Accountants, Society of Management Accountants, Certified General Accountants Association and Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Chair: CBA Taxation North
- Official Agent: Federal Election
- Producer: Law Show 2002
- Treasurer: Law Show 2001
- Soccer and hockey coach
- Advisor, Bowman National Tax Moot
- Tax advisor to Edmonton Centre for Equal Justice
- Supervising lawyer Pro Bono Students Association of Canada
- Author and presenter, Canadian Tax Foundation, Prairie Provinces Tax Conference, Canadian Association of Financial Planners, numerous income tax topics to professional accounting bodies, CBA Taxation Group