No matter where you are in today’s competitive real estate market, advice with a global perspective is indispensable. You need a team by your side to navigate this rapidly changing legal environment that’s often complicated by multijurisdictional issues. Whether you’re an investor, lender, developer, landowner or tenant, a buyer or seller of real estate, you know the challenges of this market—and you want experienced counsel from people who understand all your real estate needs.
At Dentons, we bring strong, established local, regional and global experience and know-how to help you succeed in all your real estate ventures and projects. With nearly 600 real estate lawyers and our commitment to an integrated approach, we give you the comfort of a global presence with a deep understanding of the local real estate terrain. Because opportunities don’t wait, we anticipate trends and react with speed and certainty on your behalf, collaborating with you every step of the way.
Whether you need expertise in real estate leasing, project finance, acquisition and disposition, development, construction, or investment, or you need the services of astute counsel to resolve a real estate dispute, our team of committed, respected professionals across the globe is keen to help you succeed. Where your needs extend beyond real estate, Dentons offers a panoply of legal expertise and services worldwide in all business-related areas, including: insolvency and debt restructuring, environmental and regulatory compliance, corporate structuring, taxation, and cross-border matters, to name but a few.
Whether real estate is your business or your business relies on real estate, drive it forward with Dentons by your side.
More About Real Estate
- Capital Power Income L.P.: Advising Atlantic Power Corporation (Atlantic Power), pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act, on its acquisition of all of the outstanding partnership units of CPILP held by unitholders of CPILP other than Capital Power Corporation (CPC) and the acquisition of all of the shares of CPI Investments Inc. (an entity jointly owned by EPCOR Utilities Inc. and CPC) which owned approximately 29% of the outstanding units of CPILP. The partnership units were acquired for $19.40 in cash or 1.3 Atlantic Power common shares for a purchase price of approximately $1.1 billion which was satisfied by the payment of $506.5 million of cash and the issuance by Atlantic Power of approximately 31.5 million common shares. In connection with the closing of the acquisition, CPILP sold its two North Carolina biomass plants to CPC for a purchase price of approximately $121 million, certain CPC employees, including those working at the CPILP plants became employees of Atlantic Power and management contracts whereby subsidiaries of CPC provided management services to CPILP were cancelled.
- Chinese-based purchaser: Advising a China-based corporation in the proposed acquisition of the business assets of Rainmaker Animation Inc., a Canadian public company operating an animation studio in Vancouver, B.C. This included settling undertakings under the Investment Canada Act with Canadian Heritage and obtaining Ministerial approval of the acquisition.
- Deutsche Pfandbriefbank AG: Advising a German specialist bank for real estate finance and public investment finance on a structured financing for Rockspring/National Pension Service of Korea for the acquisition of the La Abadía retail and leisure scheme located in Toledo, Spain.
- Domtar Corporation: Advising on the sale of its hydro assets in Ottawa, ON and Gatineau, QC for $45 million. The purchaser is Energy Ottawa Inc. (Energy Ottawa), the renewable energy subsidiary of Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. The agreement with Energy Ottawa signed on April 4, 2012 is subject to customary closing conditions, including certain third party approvals.The transaction includes Domtar's three power stations (21 MW of installed capacity), Domtar's water rights in the area, as well as the company's equity stake in the Chaudière Water Power Inc. (CWPI) ring dam consortium. Domtar currently has 12 workers operating its hydro assets in Ottawa/Gatineau and all employees are to become employees of a subsidiary of Energy Ottawa upon closing of the transaction.
- EDF EN Canada Inc.: Advising on the sale to Enbridge Inc. of a 50 percent undivided interest in the 300 MW Lac Alfred wind project. The project, which will entail investments of approximately $700 million by both co-owners, is located 400 kilometers north east of Québec City in Québec’s Bas-Saint-Laurent region and will consist of 150 wind turbines supplied by REpower Systems SE. EDF EN Canada Development Inc. will lead and manage the construction phase under a fixed price, turnkey engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreement. EDF EN Canada Inc.’s operation and maintenance affiliate, enXco Service Canada Inc., will provide long-term operations and maintenance (O&M) services to the project. Hydro-Québec will buy the power under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) and construct the 30 km transmission line to connect the project to the grid under an interconnection agreement.
- Ernst & Young LLP: Advising the receiver for the developer with respect to the sale of residential units and completion of the development of the former Vancouver Olympic Village site for the 2010 Winter Games, representing in excess of 1 million square feet of mixed-use residential, rental and commercial development.
- Globe Trade Centre: Advising on a €173 million sale of the Platinium Business Park in Warsaw to Allianz Real Estate Germany. The transaction is the largest disposition in Poland in 2012 and is a key transaction in the Warsaw investment market.
- London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham: Advising on the proposed £8 billion redevelopment of London's Earl’s Court Exhibition Centre, an historic location for major events in the Capital and the surrounding areas by Capital and Counties. The proposed multidimensional development includes up to 7,583 new homes and a mix of commercial, retail, hotel, leisure and cultural uses. We are also advising LBHF as planning authority on the related planning agreements and on the public procurement law aspects of this major regeneration project.
- National bank: Advising on nine charter school funds that have provided millions of dollars of new markets tax credit financing for the construction and rehabilitation of charter schools.
- Peakside Capital: Advising an independent real estate investment management firm on a €600 million acquisition of Allied Irish Bank’s Polish property fund management subsidiary and its interest in two Polonia Property Funds in Poland and Hungary. The acquisitions are London-based Peakside’s first direct investment into Poland through its Peakside Real Estate Fund I and its first strategic acquisition of a fund and asset management business in a core market.
- Simon Property Group: Representing one of the largest real estate companies in the world in significant and complex litigation.
- South Northamptonshire, Aylesbury Vale District Council and Northamptonshire County Council: Advising several UK local governments on the planning agreement for the 20 year redevelopment of Silverstone motor racing circuit. The complex plan to transform the home of the British Formula 1 Grand Prix into a world-class motorsport destination and a leading business, education, leisure and entertainment venue involves 183,000 square meters of offices, workshops and distribution facilities, a 35,000 square meter education campus, three hotels, ancillary retail and spectator facilities, leisure and event spaces, reconfiguration of grandstands and associated works.
- The Blackstone Group: Advising a premier global investment and advisory firm on a landmark €200 million acquisition and financing of a portfolio of three Turkish shopping centers from Redevco, an independent international real estate company. Our assistance enabled the New York listed firm to make its first investment in Turkey, one of the world's most dynamic emerging markets.
- VanTrust Real Estate, LLC: Advising on a number of substantial and complex real estate projects, including development of a mixed-use office, retail and hotel project on the Country Club Plaza (including a 200,000 square foot headquarters office tenant), a development of a substantial retail, office and hotel mixed-use project in Leawood, Kansas (including negotiation of built-to-suit office lease for headquarters of major office tenant), the development of various multi-family, office and retail projects throughout the region, the purchase of a distressed golf country club and various other major real estate development projects.
May 22, 2015
April 6, 2015
The 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 101 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals. Read more
December 1, 2014
Nine of our women lawyers were highlighted across multiple categories in the "Leading Women Lawyers" edition of Leading Lawyer Magazine, a monthly publication that highlights top legal practitioners in Illinois. Read more
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
View all recognition for Real Estate
July 27, 2015
July 24, 2015
A regional and global hub for business, Dubai has entered a new development cycle, transitioning from strong recovery to promising growth. The Emirate's successful Expo 2020 win helped to solidify Dubai's reputation as a leading global investment destination, and the UAE's MSCI upgrade from frontier to emerging market status helped to further bolster this reputation. Read more
July 21, 2015
The productivity plan notes that approval will be automatic "subject to approval of a limited number of technical details". This raises obvious questions about the extent of those technical details and whether they will be common across all sites. If they are, then the approval process may not be much shorter than a formal planning application. But if they are bespoke for each site, the assessment for entry on the register will need to be rigorous. In any case, a key question is whether there will be any control over design. The National Planning Policy Framework is very firm about the importance of design. Will that be reflected in the zonal system, and if so, how? Read more
Members of Dentons' UAE Real Estate practice have contributed the UAE chapter to the fourth edition of the Real Estate Law Review, published by London-based Law Business Research. Read more
View all insights for Real Estate
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
August 4, 2015
July 31, 2015
Dentons’ Real Estate team acted as legal counsel to Crestyl on the acquisition of a company owning several buildings on Wenceslas Square, a prime location in Prague, for further development of a mixed-use (office and retail) property scheme. The project, also referred to as Savarin Palace, was sold by Ballymore Properties. Read more
July 22, 2015
Dentons and 大成 co-sponsored a sub-forum of Boao 21st Century Real Estate Forum, a premium real estate event in China, in Hainan on July 19. Read more
Against the backdrop of ever-tightening yields in Western Europe, Central and Eastern markets are becoming increasingly relevant. But just how deep is the opportunity? Read more
View all press releases for Real Estate